Home for the Holidays OR Insane House Rules

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
The holidays are drawing to a close and, all in all, it has been more than nice having my daughters under my roof again BUT there has been friction because they cannot remember or respect certain rules of my house. For example switching up on the Vinegars--Tarragon and Balsamic for culinary use; White for household jobs. We do not use the 6$ vinegar to clean the dishwasher. OR The poinsettia sits at the head of the breakfast table because it needs morning sun and I don't care if it is toxic. If your kid is dumb enough to munch poinsettia leaves instead of Grammy's good oatmeal, then so be it!

Ours is not the only household experiencing holiday friction. A couple of friends had us all in stitches, telling about their 80- something parents looney but iron bound rules. They and several siblings, cousins, grandkids are staying on a farm with the parents. The parents are resigned to the fact that their isolated farmhouse is not the entertainment capitol of the county--even if they do have cable. Naturally the young ones are going to drive 30-40 miles on dark country roads, to visit the real hubs of the county. Bright lights and big city ways in towns like St. John and Pratt beckon to the rural youngsters. The parent's only rule is that the last person in the house must turn out the yard light--a big, electric light on a pole by the house. That way Mom and Dad will know when all the kids are home so they can stop pacing the floor and sleep.

Anyway, my friends, a couple in their fifties with grandkids, a house in a bona fide big city, jobs and all the fixings of adult society, went out for a Christmas Party at a modern day saloon in the wild and wooly metropolis of Pratt Kansas. (if you ever find yourself in Pratt, Kansas, Legends is the place to go for bright lights and a citified atmosphere.) Somehow my friends forgot to switch off the yard light when they came in at 3 a.m. This over sight triggered a frantic 5 a.m. bed search, a who dunit interrogation and a breakfast lecture from pale, shaken parents. Like they were in high school again. Their father kept saying "You know how your mother worries." Their mother sighed "Your father is not strong, you know. I doubt his heart can take another night like last night."

Their story brought to mind one of my father's insane rules: No tube of toothpaste shall be thrown away whole. No kidding. When the tube was completely flat, the bottom had to be snipped off and the toothbrush inserted into the backass end of the tube to scrape whatever toothpaste was leftover. I still remember the look on my new husband's face, first Christmas vacation he spent at my house. Poor fool discarded a perfectly good tube just because it was flat and caught the lecture! Dad wasn't angry, he only wanted Gill to see the error of his wasteful ways.

Then there was my husband's father's wacko rules in his home, clear across the country in New York. Like--Hard soled shoes must always be worn in the bathroom. Nope, slippers wouldn't cut it. Not KEDS either. Why? because the bathroom door had only rusty tacks instead of a threshold. My husband's dad put in a new floor back in the mid sixties but kept forgetting to install the top of the threshold until it was hopelessly lost and too much trouble to replace. Nothing like stepping on a row of rusty tacks first thing in the morning and then having the whole family sigh wearily and say "Did you forget your shoes?"

Insane house rules anyone? --s6

Last edited:

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Three rules.

Don't ask stupid questions
Do everything I say
Don't wander off.

No wait, those are the Doctor's

No smoking, pick up after yourself, be considerate to everyone else. That about covers it.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Just two:

I rule.
My cats rule.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Come in the door you went out of. I never understood the point of this, and as an adult it became no clearer. Seriously, Mom, I can operate every door in the whole house, you know?

Close the door to the outside. Now that there's often heat or AC to contain, and bugs to keep out, it's perfectly sensible, but seriously, did us kids leave the door yawning open? Seems unlikely.

Don't bother Daddy until he's finished his drink. In my early years, my dad's job was apparently high stress and first thing on the worst days was a scotch and water. This one still makes pretty good sense.

Maryn, hoping her rules do

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
The chair. The chair designated for the Old Man, only. And his cigars. Best not get caught in the Old Man's chair. And, if you dare to sass your Mom, be prepared to have the tongue pulled out of your mouth.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Can I slip in a new rule that doesn't really count by these criteria? The new family rule is: Duck!

We spent many a summer running around my grandparents's house and farm with our cousins when we were kids. As a result, we and our cousins all have a tendency to still zoom about the house as if we are four feet high.

I'm six feet high now. My brother is 6'3". One of the bathroom doors in the farmhouse is only six feet high.

i.e. Duck! Otherwise I'm likely to get splinters in my scalp and my brother is likely to brain himself entirely.

Grayson Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Rule #1: Do not mutilate the butter before family arrives. Their impression of us is solely based off how clean-cut that stick of butter is, so unless you're sculpting it into a poinsettia, you can eat your bagel plain.

Rule #2: No immediate family is allowed to use the bathroom on the main floor. Who knows where our relatives have been. If you need to do your do, you can use the bathroom in the freezing cold basement.

Rule #3: Do not even touch the dogs. If black hair is found in the mashed potatoes, a certain someone playing tug-of-war with the German Shepherd is to blame.

Rule #4: No smoking any closer than the train tracks. If you want to your lungs to match that coal in your stocking, that's your choice, but don't expect the rest of the family to accept death by second-hand smoke so easily.

Last edited:

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Craziest rule at my MIL's house.

Children must sit on the couch quietly and listen to the adults talk. They can't leave, they can't participate. They must sit quietly and respectfully. Um...I have three teenage boys. That's NOT going to work.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'No elbows on the table rule'. Grand Aunt would stab you with a fork hard enough to draw blood if you did.

'No eating my mother's ice cream' She used to buy herself the best homemade ice cream from a local shop and my sister and I were not allowed to have any.
'No eating her Milano cookies'. She would count how many there were.
'No eating the candy canes.' Each year she would buy candy canes for the tree and forbid us from eating any. And yes, she counted those each day too. What a bitch.

'You can only use certain towels' This rule has been in several family member's homes. What the hell is the point of having towels in the bathroom that are only to be looked at and not used.

My favorite of all time was the rule in my childhood best friend's house.

'No walking on the Oriental rug' True, they had an Oriental rug in the dining room and no one was allowed in there, except for Sunday or Holiday dinners. No one was allowed to step foot in the room otherwise and when it was time for Sunday or Holiday dinner, my friend and her sister had to walk straight to their chairs and sit and walk directly out after dinner. No extra footsteps were allowed. No one milled around the dining room, walked from place to place.

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
We had the candy cane rule too! But that was because we made peppermint stick ice cream on New Year's and we needed max candy canes. Counting the candy canes? That's insane! The private ice cream is flabbergasting but not incredible. My BIL used to travel with a cooler of his own special food and high dollar beer. His wife and two kids, and my husband and me--his hosts--were not allowed to eat from the royal hamper.

My grand daughter Magnolia connected with her father's family a year ago. She is spending a holiday week with them at her other grandmother's house and facing a new set of rules. The one that cracked us up the most--you have to eat the ice cream! One of her new aunts is on an anti-sugar, processed food crusade. She makes ice cream from weird milk--goat-- and without sugar. Maz's new grandmother tells all the cousins they must eat at least one bowl and say it was good!

Another new rule for Maz: if you sleep late and you are not the only grandkid in the house, you cousins will eat your breakfast! My sister and I had ten first cousins so we grew up with the harsh reality of consanguineous natural selection. Fortunately we were near the top of the cousinly food chain so flourished. Poor Maz had no idea she could starve in a grandmother's care!

Last edited:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Craziest rule at my MIL's house.

Children must sit on the couch quietly and listen to the adults talk. They can't leave, they can't participate. They must sit quietly and respectfully. Um...I have three teenage boys. That's NOT going to work.
Yep, that was my MIL's rule. Drove me (and my two sons) nuts. And they were the only grandchildren.

She also had a "kids" table. Unfortunately, I was always relegated to it with my sons. My husband would join me since she was adamant about it. (Can you guess how much she liked me?!)

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have a dear friend who is my age so no longer has parents or grandparents but when we met, in our twenties, her grandparents had three tables for holiday dinners-- a kid table, a table for only them and their children and another table, waay off in the living room, for sons and daughters in law.My friend grew up thinking it was normal that her dad and mom ate Christmas and Thanksgiving in different rooms! --s6

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At the fork stabbing Grand Aunt's house, we had the kid's table too for Thanksgiving. Picnic table and benches. One year the bench collapsed. My Dad who was seated at the last spot at the adult table, snagged me and plopped me on his lap, as all my cousins went down like dominoes. He and I didn't like them. We may have chuckled at that.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
We had no rule against eating the candy canes growing up, but rarely ever did, so they just got put in the ornament box and taken out over and over. One year one of us attempted to eat one. It was... interesting.

Holiday 'rule' was that there had to be turnips. One mean grandparent was the only one really liked turnips, but there had to be turnips for said grandparent, which is sortof understandable, until you got to the years that grandparent went to the other side of the family, and we still had to have turnips.

My house rules: No shoes; no meat.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have a no soda pop on the table rule--water, wine, coffee, tea but no soda. Soda pop just does not go with china, linen and silver. My grandmother would not allow soda pop at meal time because my cousins would not eat anything if they had soda pop to drink. Grandma's rule became Mom's rule and I took it from her. We do let the kids have the sparkling grape juice in heavy duty antique goblets.

We always seat the babies in a high chair at the table but I have friends who won't allow even eight year olds at their table. This year my grand nephew Aidie caught on that he was the whole show. He loved it! That's him in my avatar--in the sweater his grammy knit for him. His trousers didn't survive the pumpkin pie. That's my niece holding him. She used to have blue hair but motherhood has tamed her. --s6

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just thought of another weird Christmas rule. Does anyone else have a mandatory garbage inspection of all boxes, envelopes and discarded wrapping paper before it is hauled to the dumpster? Someone once threw out ten dollars, back when ten dollars was a week's groceries, and from that day on all discarded christmas paper had to be deposited in ONE box and inspected for days before mom allowed us to take it outside. --s6

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
We had a no pop rule when I was a kid. As in no pop for the kids. It was only to be used as mix for alcoholic drinks.

My mom refused to have a kids table. She hated the idea of segregation, even by age. We all had to sit together at one table no matter how cramped or awkward (and with two oval tables of different heights pushed together) it was.

And kids got to spend boxing day (while the grownups were hungover) writing thank you cards to everyone who sent us a gift. We got boxes of thank you cards with stamped envelopes as a stocking stuffer every year.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We had Don't shoot your sisters that Christmas my brothers got their air-rifles. I have to say, it was a rule more honoured in the breach...

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Come in the door you went out of. I never understood the point of this, and as an adult it became no clearer. Seriously, Mom, I can operate every door in the whole house, you know?

When I was growing up, it was the reverse of this for me: leave through the door you came in. It was one of Mom's rules, and she was from the South. Something about bad luck.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just thought of another weird Christmas rule. Does anyone else have a mandatory garbage inspection of all boxes, envelopes and discarded wrapping paper before it is hauled to the dumpster? Someone once threw out ten dollars, back when ten dollars was a week's groceries, and from that day on all discarded christmas paper had to be deposited in ONE box and inspected for days before mom allowed us to take it outside. --s6

We had the same rule. Every piece of wrapping had to be shaken out, cards, envelopes inspected and of course someone always had the bright idea to save the wrapping and bows to use again next year. I confess. I threw them all away, saving for next year be damned.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
I grew up with so many BS rules we don't have any in our house. Let the grandkids run riot, sit where you like, help yourself to beer and eat what you want. I don't smoke in the house but that's my choice, and no one else smokes anyway.

This works for the simple reason that anyone I like and trust enough to invite to my house is someone I know isn't going to do anything horrendous. Anyone I don't like doesn't get invited :)

My other rule is that the holidays are ALWAYS at our house!

Last edited: