Do you agree with the stigma which some place against young adult?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairies wear bOOts:)

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
So I am not sure if this is the right place to put this discussion but feel free to move it if not... I looked around and thought this was the only logical place it could go.

I read this article that implies grown ups should not read young adult, and was a little shocked… especially when it put a novel like ‘Divergent’ in the category of literature in which the person who wrote the article categories as garbage.

Here’s my thinking… when you watch movies, often this distinguishment is not made... correct me if I am wrong? If you walk into your living room and see both of your parents watching a movie where the main characters are teenagers (which I believe is the main criteria for a book to be labeled as young adult), I don’t think many people would find it surprising, as in movies it seems anyone can watch whatever they want, but because literature seems tobe more of an ‘intellectual’ field there is more stigma placed on categories/genres which might seem less intellectual, like for example young adult or chick lit.

I know this isn’t the best place to ask this question as many authors only read certain categories or genres because they have to as it is part of their job, (for example I still read middle grade and I am in no way embarrassed about it)… To me however, a good story is a good story no matter how it is categorized… but is there anyone on this that feels differently? I did not agree with the article but at the same time I do understand everyone is entitled to their opinions, even if I find it a little shocking… What is your opinion on this? I've included the article below in case you want to check it out as well and give a more in depth response... again, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I thought I would ask for those who are part of this site.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2014/06/against_ya_adults_should_be_embarrassed_to_read_children_s_books.html

Last edited:

ChipsAhoyMcCoy

ريانن ✿ &#159
Registered
Reaction score
I don't agree with the premise of this article at all, although I think the author did make a good point. The kinds of lines and ideas presented in YA novels don't seem cheesy or unrealistic in the slightest when you're a teenager, but when you're older, these repetitive ideas can become unrealistic/get boring/etc. I'm still a teenager so I suppose it's hard to truly see it from the author's perspective, but I do sort of get where they're coming from. The younger you are, the more easily you can empathize with these YA characters' feelings and the logic behind their decisions. When you're older, some of it comes off as ridiculously cheesy, idealistic, etc. For example, a teenager might really identify with a YA character who runs away. But an adult reader might see the character's logic as flawed and be frustrated with the stupidity of their decision. So while I DON'T think adults should be ashamed of reading YA, I do think the author makes a good point about how it may just not fully satisfy the adult reader, since your experiences and maturity make it harder to relate. But everyone should be able to read whatever makes them happy, IMO, and if YA novels are giving you all you need as a reader, then I don't see why someone should be embarrassed about reading them.

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
Never knew there was one.

Really? I suppose the reason I brought it up is because my mother makes out my reading of this category to be unintellectual as well... so I was not actually aware that some didn't know others felt this way.

:Shrug:

Last edited:

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
I like your point ChipsAhoy... And like you were saying I just don't like when some look down on those who read the catagory just because they are not in the age group... we don't do that with movies (again correct me if I am wrong) so just because writing is a more intelligent platform I don't think anyone should say there is anything wrong with crossing over to a different age group especially when dealing with young adult. There's a reason why so many claim your teenage years are the best days of your life... you experience love and many other things for the first time and even if you had hardship as many claim teenage years can go the other way, there's something universal about being that age to the point where it makes sense that many would be able to relate with at least some of the works in this category... even if it's just by memory.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to port this over to Round Table, where it's a better fit.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Snobbery is the public face of insecurity. These kinds of arguments are a side-effect of someone trying to coddle their own ego up by nesting it in a bed of other people, stomped on.

ziggysawdust

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with adults reading YA litreature. I'll read anything if it's good.

P.S. love the nickname, is it based on the Sabbath song?

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
Snobbery isthe public face of insecurity. These kinds of arguments are a side-effect ofsomeone trying to coddle their own ego up by nesting it in a bed of otherpeople, stomped on.

I actually thought that too! A way to put down others in order to make yourself seem more intelligent...

My username is actually a funny story... I like the yahoo answers site and it was someone's username and I loved it, and I suppose it was inspired form the song? Not sure. I definitely made a scene out of it though, incidentally in one of my (middle grade) books... a category that I of course love reading... :)

Dutchess_of_Hyrule

Registered
Reaction score
I completely disagree! That's like saying a teenager can't enjoy Charles Dickens because he wrote adult characters. A good story is a good story, and your age has nothing to do with that. Heck, my mom even watches those tacky Lifetime movies where a teenager goes bonkers and kills his girlfriend. She doesn't care! Haha!

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
There have been a handful of articles in the last couple of years spouting this argument...mostly they're just clickbait and not worth taking particularly seriously.

And if you're interested in writing MG, then you should absolutely be reading it! Tell your mom that authors who write for kids are very important people, because they're the ones who will lead the next generation into loving books and reading.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I read all literature. I LOVE YA, as do most of my adult friends. I'm 50. I won't read the article. A book is to be read by the person who picks it up and chooses to read it. PERIOD.

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I think the truth of it all is the whole "rap is not music" "reality television is trash tv" "this popular thing is BAD." YA is a genre like any other genre--you like non-fiction, you don't, you like YA, you don't. I always thought self-imposed hierarchies were telling about how a person saw themselves. YA is trash but you don't read or write it? It's safe to assume you felt comfortable making that comparison because YOU read or write something non-YA and you think you're better than others.

Sometimes you gotta remember people can be sacks of egotistical garbage and just roll your eyes about it.

That being said, I personally don't read YA that often. I connect with a few and always try some when it catches my interest; however, as a whole it's not on my radar. BUT. If I were to list my top five favorite books of all time, I'm sure at least three of them would be YA. So it's what someone said earlier--a good book is a good book, no matter the genre.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
So far, we seem to be in agreement that we do not agree with the premise of the article. Other than the fact that someone should be able to read anything they like, why do you think adults should read YA? In other words, what are some reasons for recommending YA for adult readership?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Never knew there was one.

caw

It's the same stigma - lightly repackaged - that some people have against sci-fi, or fantasy, or mysteries, or [fill in the blank with any genre or category they personally haven't experienced and/or don't care to understand, and therefore feel the need to denigrate in order to feel more sophisticated than Other Readers].

Yeah, as others have mentioned, articles like this aren't new. Same theme, slightly different phrasing and target... It only matters if you're one of those people who lets "popular opinion" (or someone purporting to be the purveyor of Popular Opinion) sway you. So your mother, or your father, or your friend, or your hamster doesn't "get" what you read. Don't wear yourself out explaining it, just enjoy what you enjoy. (And maybe consider a less judgemental pet - hamsters are jerks like that... ;) ) I'm a grown-up and I still read MG and YA. Heck, I even read picture books sometimes. Back when the Animorphs were coming out, I was a grown-up, too, and I couldn't wait for each new installment - and Mom and Dad regularly swiped each book after I finished.

And, absolutely, you should read the kind of books you aim to write, if only to keep an eye on your competition... (I know there are those who write genres without reading them. IMHO, that's like deliberately running a footrace with just one shoe, when you could put in a little extra effort to tie up a second set of laces and significantly increase your odds of finishing and placing. Yeah, some few runners are good enough to pull it off, but are you dead certain you're that person, especially if you've never run the race before?)

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
So far, we seem to be in agreement that we do not agree with the premise of the article. Other than the fact that someone should be able to read anything they like, why do you think adults should read YA? In other words, what are some reasons for recommending YA for adult readership?

Speaking for myself, I'd recommend YA books for the same reason I'd recommend any other book. There are some danged good stories on the YA shelves, and some danged good characters and worlds and writing in general. Closing yourself off to those books simply due to where they're found in the bookstore seems kinda snobbish and silly to me.

In my reading experience, YA also tends to move decently, less prone to the dawdling and navel-gazing that "grown-up" fiction sometimes indulges in. (Not that there aren't any slowpokes on the shelves, but I seem to find them less often in YA.)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I've read some real page-turners in YA in the past few years such as Katie Cross's Network Series, particularly the prequel Mildred's Resistance.

How about the fact that some of the strongest new voices in literature today are coming from YA? Has anyone else read An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir? I recommend it.

I'm constantly amazed at the worldbuilding and how seemingly effortlessly YA writers cross genre boundaries. Some are really knocking it out of the park.

Any other reasons for recommending YA or specific book recommendations?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Any YA reccs from our Aussie and Kiwi members?

remister

Registered
Reaction score
An aussie classic YA is John Marsden's Tomorrow When the War Began series. Don't watch the movie.

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
I think the truth of it all is the whole "rap is not music" "reality television is trash tv" "this popular thing is BAD." YA is a genre like any other genre--you like non-fiction, you don't, you like YA, you don't.

+ 1

:)

:Shrug::Shrug::Shrug:

Last edited:

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, anytime someone dismisses an entire genre or people's reasons for reading it, it comes across as snobbery to me. I do think that the plots of YA books sometimes come across as simplistic from an adult point of view. Not always (there's a wide range of YA fiction out there), but sometimes. That doesn't mean they hold absolutely no enjoyment value for older readers, or that the line between what might be marketed toward teens and what might be marketed toward adults doesn't get fuzzy at times.

A lot of this person's arguments in favor of adult fiction seem very skewed toward adult literary fiction. I would disagree with the claim that it's common in general for adult fiction to have ambiguous endings, for example. In some genres, like mysteries and romance, an ending that's too ambiguous can be a problem. There are a lot of things that people want to get out of reading. Sometimes people want something that really makes them think. Sometimes they want to laugh. Sometimes they want to read about hot people falling in love. Sometimes they want to try to piece together a whodunit. A book does not have to be "mature" or deal with complex issues to be enjoyable reading.

I do think that if someone reads only a small subset of literature, they might not be very well-read. I read plenty of YA, but I also read adult science fiction/fantasy, adult literary, mysteries, erotica, classics, etc. But I'm not interested in judging someone if they just want to read one genre. People should spend their time however they want.

remister

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

Yes, thank you very much, remister. I've added the series to my reading list.

Welcome!

For YA high fantasy, there's Obernewtyn (Isobelle Carmody). It's a looooong series.

For YA sci-fi, there's Illuminae (Jay Kristoff) that's supposedly really good but I just couldn't get into it. Gave up after several pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.