PDA

View Full Version : Should I mention I've published an article before in a query?

Fairies wear bOOts:)
12-29-2016, 11:28 PM
So I am thinking about trying to send out some queries again... (I've only done it a few times before). My question is, I have never included a bio in any of the previous drafts of my queries because I didn't think what I would call my 'credentials' to be significant enough...(I had a creative writing teacher who was a published author in high school and she made us do a newspaper where the class wrote articles on what was happening around the school and mine was called 'Peer Pals' and our teacher sent them into a newspaper and mine got picked to be in it). Is this significant enough to include in a bio in a query? I always felt it only sounded good in a query if you could say, I've published this... AND this... as in a few things if it's something menial like an article just because it fills up more space. Also, if you think I should include it, could you possibly tell me your opinion on whether I should mention it was part of a creative writing class?

cornflake
12-29-2016, 11:35 PM
I wouldn't include that. The only exception might, might be if it were in, say, the NYT and published with a byline as an actual article, which it doesn't sound like it was, as you'd have been paid for it.

mrsmig
12-29-2016, 11:36 PM
I wouldn't mention it unless the article has a direct bearing on your novel.

And mentioning school credits is going to make you sound like...a school kid.

Fairies wear bOOts:)
12-29-2016, 11:40 PM
Okay, I assumed that was what everyone here would most likely say about the high school creative writing class reference but it's a good thing I asked about the article in general because I was not sure!