I know where Israel is.
:D

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
then you're better than most american high school students

Lost generation

The National Geographic-Roper Public Affairs geography survey of young adult Americans found:

- Only 37 percent could identify Iraq on a map of the Middle East. (As Tribune readers surely know, it's the country highlighted above.)

- Only 12 percent could locate Afghanistan on a map of Asia.

- One of the few bright spots was that 69 percent could identify China on a map. But on another aspect of China, they did far worse. In a multiple-choice quiz, only 18 percent answered correctly that Mandarin Chinese is the most widely spoken native language in the world. Most people--74 percent--thought it was English.

- While the outsourcing of jobs to India has been a major U.S. business story, 47 percent could not find the Indian subcontinent on a map of Asia.

- When given a list of four countries (Indonesia, India, Armenia and South Africa) and asked which one was majority Muslim, only 25 percent said correctly that it was Indonesia. Nearly half (48 percent) answered India, which is only 13 percent Muslim.

- While Israeli-Palestinian strife has been in the news for the entire lives of the respondents, 75 percent were unable to locate Israel on a map of the Middle East.

- Six in 10 did not know that the border between North and South Korea is the most heavily fortified in the world. Thirty percent thought the most heavily fortified border was between the United States and Mexico.

- Two-thirds didn't know that the earthquake that killed 70,000 people in October 2005 occurred in Pakistan.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0605030199may03,1,278196.story

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
Change that.

I took the AOL test.

Not this one.

No desire to.

I know where Israel is.

what's the AOL one?

Reaction score
Bravo said:
then you're better than most american high school students

Our empire is crumbling under a mountain of fast food, selfish politicians, out of wedlock birth rates, awful parents, failed schools, Playstation, Segway transporters, fake religions, reality TV shows and that new music television all the kids are talking about.

:cry:

R.I.P United States
1776-2047

Last edited:

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
I got an 80%, which isn't awful, but not great. I forgot about Jordan at first, which threw off the whole Iran/Iraq line up. But I did get Georgia and Turkmenistan right on the first try, which ought to count for something.

Reaction score
Bravo said:
what's the AOL one?

They had one yesterday because of that article. Just six questions. In the interest of fairness, one was "Where is NY?"

I missed the wacky middle east questions.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
got a 70. Those little countries kicked my ignorant a$$

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Hmmm is it just me or a lot of countries have appeared there since I last reviewed the zone??

Anyway, I could easily find Iran, Iraq, Israel, Palestine, Egypt, Saudi Araba and Emiratos Arabes Unidos (yeah too lazy to translate)

broughcut

I Can't Get Started
Registered
Reaction score
90%. But I misclicked on Jordan when I meant Syria (a mistake) so it should be 92% or something.

Have to admit I genuinely couldn't identify Afghanistan on that map. I wasn't really aware it shared a border with Iran.
EmoteShrug.gif
Damn, we got Iran in a ****ing vice! They can't fight a war on two fronts. Let's get it done.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sheryl Nantus said:
I got them all.

but I'm Canadian, thus educated.

show off...

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I got them but I 'cheated'. My company does a lot of 'stan' business, my boss is in the Kazakh' right now, and of course we watch a lot of news. (The map of the world on my son's wall helps, too.)

Anyone care to guess how many Tenges in a dollar?(No, not you T.J. that wouldn't be fair....)

Blackheart

I'd put money on billy getting befuddled trying to locate Canada on a map

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
broughcut said:
90%. But I misclicked on Jordan when I meant Syria (a mistake) so it should be 92% or something.

Have to admit I genuinely couldn't identify Afghanistan on that map. I wasn't really aware it shared a border with Iran.
EmoteShrug.gif
Damn, we got Iran in a ****ing vice! They can't fight a war on two fronts. Let's get it done.

i thought you were bloody british?

Reaction score
broughcut said:

EmoteShrug.gif

Hey brough! Good to see you.
:)

Nangleator

Rep Point Whore
Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
Our empire is crumbling under a mountain of fast food, selfish politicians, out of wedlock birth rates, awful parents, failed schools, Playstation, Segway transporters, fake religions, reality TV shows and that new music television all the kids are talking about.
'Empire'?

Playstation -- Your grandparents probably thought the nation was crumbling due to board games.

Segways -- Just how many do you think are selling? Even assuming a horrific evil influence exists, I'm pretty safe. I've never even seen one. In any case, they have half the wheels of the typical horseless carriage. Perhaps we should concentrate on those larger demons first.

We're safe from music television now. They no longer play music.

And as to out of wedlock children, what's your point? That they are immoral people or something? In my personal experience, the percentage of moral people born to unwed mothers is much higher than that of people born to married couples. Perhaps we should stigmatize marriage. ;)

broughcut

I Can't Get Started
Registered
Reaction score
Bravo said:
i thought you were bloody british?

Qaz thinks I should know this stuff because I'm british which means over here Fox News spin a globe and run their World Foxcast for the duration of the ad breaks.

It's 30 degress in Kabul... 31 in Kerman... Jane Skinner is pretty hot.

thrilly, good to see you too!
emoticonbanana.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.