PDA

View Full Version : Recently Published - Looking for Advice.

Yamahuh
12-29-2016, 09:29 AM
Ha! Yeah it's true but it sounds more impressive than it really is. After over a year of lag time between my articles being submitted and approved by the editor, ADV Moto and Adventure Riding Magazine finally published 2 of my adventure (motorcycle) riding articles.

I've been writing these types of stories (all non-fiction) for a few years, they document motorcycle trips I took with a great friend, and travels that my wife and I have undertaken over the years.
In total, I probably have in the neighbourhood of 500 pages - or thereabouts - but now that I'm finally finished writing them, I don't know what to do with them.

Putting them all into one huge manuscript and beginning the process of editing them for (hopefully) publication seems like a ridiculously daunting task. Besides, who would publish them? As articles for motorcycle magazines they work just fine. As entertainment for friends and family, they accomplish their intended purpose; however, I'd like to think they have a broader appeal.
But where do I even start?

If it's OK, I'd like to share the articles that were recently published in order to give whoever may be reading this message an idea of my style and focus. I suppose it could be generally regarded as Travel Writing.

Please let me know if it would be OK for me to post the .pdfs here for you to take a look at.

Thanks.

Chris P
12-29-2016, 10:34 AM
Congrats on the stories! That's awesome.

As for your first question, you are right that you will have a hard time publishing a collection of previously unpublished stories. I'd suggest publishing as many as you can in the best-paying markets you can get them into, making sure you keep the appropriate rights to republish later, then compile them and approach an agent then. At least that's the input I've gotten and have seen given out by others I trust here. You have two stories published already, so your writing is good enough and the stories interesting enough to get more published.

As to the other question about pdfs, that's generally not done here. Once you have 50 posts you can post excerpts in the Share Your Work section. You can also ask for help in the beta readers forum, although you will get a much better response if you establish yourself here as an active, helpful member first. Again, I'm not a moderator here, but this is the input generally given.

Yamahuh
12-29-2016, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the info and suggestions Chris P!

Yeah, I wasn't sure if the .pdf idea would fly, which is exactly why I asked! Thanks for clarifying for me.

Old Hack
12-29-2016, 12:52 PM
Ha! Yeah it's true but it sounds more impressive than it really is. After over a year of lag time between my articles being submitted and approved by the editor, ADV Moto and Adventure Riding Magazine finally published 2 of my adventure (motorcycle) riding articles.

I've been writing these types of stories (all non-fiction) for a few years, they document motorcycle trips I took with a great friend, and travels that my wife and I have undertaken over the years.
In total, I probably have in the neighbourhood of 500 pages - or thereabouts - but now that I'm finally finished writing them, I don't know what to do with them.

We need to know the number of words you have written, not the number of pages, as it gives us a more accurate idea of what you have here.

Before you consider doing anything with these pieces, check the contracts you signed when you sold them: you might not have the rights to use them in any way at all.

Putting them all into one huge manuscript and beginning the process of editing them for (hopefully) publication seems like a ridiculously daunting task. Besides, who would publish them? As articles for motorcycle magazines they work just fine. As entertainment for friends and family, they accomplish their intended purpose; however, I'd like to think they have a broader appeal.
But where do I even start?

If you were a well-known journalist with a wide readership you'd have a reasonable chance of getting them published just as they are in book form. If you've only had two of the pieces published, which seems likely from what you've written here, then you're not likely to manage it. You're going to have to rewrite them into a book, which is not easy. Especially if you're not used to writing books. And then you're going to have to find someone to publish it, which again, isn't easy.

None of this is impossible but make sure you understand how hard the road ahead of you is.

If it's OK, I'd like to share the articles that were recently published in order to give whoever may be reading this message an idea of my style and focus. I suppose it could be generally regarded as Travel Writing.

Please let me know if it would be OK for me to post the .pdfs here for you to take a look at.

Thanks.

As you've already been advised, you need to have at least 50 substantive posts under your belt before you can post work for critique here. When you reach your fifty posts don't ask for critique on the articles you've already had published: they're done now, and finished. But if you'd like to rewrite some of the pieces you've already written into book form, we can help you with those.

Good luck!

Yamahuh
12-29-2016, 01:57 PM
The two pieces that were published recently have no restrictions of any sort. I am free to use them as I please. In fact, the editor of one of the magazines has already approached me with a view to contributing to an anthology of motorcycle related stories he is putting together in the new year. If that actually goes ahead as planned I will be sure that no restrictions are placed on my future use of anything I submit. Great tip!

Thank you.