Adverbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

elzoria

Registered
Reaction score
Is having adverbs in a story wrong? Really, really wrong...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
elzoria said:
Is having adverbs in a story wrong? Really, really wrong...

Not wrong, but dangerous. Sometimes you need an adverb, and when you do, an adverb should be used. But adverbs often signal weak writing, and the most common use of an adverb is to hand a crutch to a weak verb.

Try removing adverbs and modifiers and look at the results. Good writing usually stands up well without help. Weak writing doesn't. If it doesn't stand up, it's usually better to change the writing, rather than trusting an adverb or a modifier to improve it.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If you can eliminate the adverb by using another active, better word, do it. Go ahead and use them, though, especially during first draft. During your rewrites, make sure you examine every adverb and ask them, "Do you have the right to exist?"

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Using adverbs is on a par with selling your first-born to Satan. :D

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
And supposedly, if you're writing for a younger audience, it's more acceptable to use them.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I guess. I don't actually use them that often but once in a while I think what the heck, I'm going to throw in an adverb just because it's against the rules. There are also times when an adverb might be preferable to some unjustifiably long and awkward "showing" of a simple action or emotion.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
janetbellinger said:
I believe in breaking all the writing rules, even the one about not using adverbs.

What about the rule concerning bad writing? Or the one about not boring the reader? Or, in this case, the one about always using the best word, rather than the wrong two words?

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Just write!

Please don't worry about the rules and the DON'Ts. Just write your story so that you can find out whose story it is and what you are trying to say.

Then you can re-write to make the story better. But passive voice and adverbs come way down the re-writing list. Save them for when the story and characters are clear and you need to polish for publication.

elzoria

Registered
Reaction score
pdr said:
Please don't worry about the rules and the DON'Ts. Just write your story so that you can find out whose story it is and what you are trying to say.

Then you can re-write to make the story better. But passive voice and adverbs come way down the re-writing list. Save them for when the story and characters are clear and you need to polish for publication.

I think that is advice I can handle :O)

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Adverbs are mostly weak. You can use them effectively all the same.

Use Adverbs rarely, and for poetic purposes. Never try to make it the backbone word of a sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.