Crude fertilizer bomb

Mr.Letterman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I have a hypothetical question about fertilizer bombs. Well its not a fertilizer bomb I guess because in the scenario the protagonist has barrels of ammonium nitrate at his disposal. I've been reading up on this type of bomb and a lot of text out there says it has to be a very precise mixture for the desired effect. But then I've read up on disasters that have occurred and these obviously weren't contrived mixes, hence the word accident.
So say if my protagonist rolled a few barrels together, doused it in diesel fuel and threw in some sticks of TNT, would we get a kaboom or a fizzler?

I apologise if this is too vague for a concise answer. Any insight given is greatly appreciated.
Also, if my scenario isn't feasible, how could I make it so?

Thanks in advance everyone :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Google ammonium nitrate disasters.
Ammonium nitrate can explode if heated and certainly with an initiator such as TNT. It is a more powerful and effective explosive if intimately mixed with a fuel, but under the circumstances you describe you should get a decent kaboom.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
ANFO needs to be properly mixed to be effective. Barrels of ammonium nitrate with diesel splashed over it is not going to provide a significant bang. It is going to produce a significant problem, however, if exploded with TNT or Tovex. What's the purpose of the explosion? You always start looking at explosives by looking at what you want to accomplish. Then you choose the best option that is available to you.

Personally after dousing it with diesel in the setup you're describing, I'd then add in some gasoline. But I'd dump it out of the barrels or add the diesel inside the barrels. Just letting the diesel soak in will accomplish a lot of mixing. It's mixed with 94% ammonium nitrate and 6% diesel, although usually you'll go higher on the diesel.

Realize that getting hundreds of pounds of ammonium nitrate is a problem. Even farmers can have problems with acquiring it.

Jim Clark-Dawe

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Just as a point of research, the biggest chemical explosion disaster in U.S., and perhaps world, history, occurred in the port of Texas City, Texas in 1947 (I believe that was the year) when a fire broke out in the hold of a freighter loaded with ammonium nitrate. It eventually exploded. killing people as far as a mile or more away, and setting ablaze a second freighter with similar cargo, which also exploded later. The entire dock area was obliterated, and more than 500 people were killed. This wasn't any kind of precise ANFO mixture, just a hell of a lot of ammonium nitrate.

Timothy McVeigh's Oklahoma city bomb wasn't very sophisticated, either. Just good enough for his purposes.

caw

Last edited:

tommyb

Banned
Reaction score
comfortably between a rock and a hard place
http://www.livescience.com/6413-fertilizer-bombs-work.html
It needs to be precise. Accidental explosions happen when the conditions are right, and is rare. It will also need to be directed in some way, if you want specific damage.
I would say go to youtube and watch some blow up, you will get an idea of how things work. Find out about fert bombs, then read the cases of supposed fert bombs, and come to your own conclusions about how/if they could have worked in those scenarios, and how it would work in yours.

'Timothy McVeigh's Oklahoma city bomb wasn't very sophisticated, either. Just good enough for his purposes.' Funny stuff, almost as funny as a plane hitting the Pentagon, or to be more timely- not as funny as the US Army sharpening Dylan Roof into a weapon.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
'Timothy McVeigh's Oklahoma city bomb wasn't very sophisticated, either. Just good enough for his purposes.' Funny stuff, almost as funny as a plane hitting the Pentagon, or to be more timely- not as funny as the US Army sharpening Dylan Roof into a weapon.

Funny? It certainly wasn't intended to be funny. Just factual. What exactly was your point in this comment?

caw