Can I move a formatted screenplay in Word to Final Draft?

DrDoc

Ex everything; trying something new
Registered
Reaction score
4,000 miles from the center of the Earth.
In my last writing class I had to take my movie treatment and make it into a script. I did that, using MSWord. So now, I have this screenplay (version 1) which in my way of doing things will go through five additional revisions. I'd like to use Final Draft, but I don't want to encounter a lot of importing problems Would it just be better to wait and start my next screen play in Final Draft.

Ideas?

Thanks,

DrDoc

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I haven't done this lately, but a dim memory tells me I've had more success with exporting to plain text and importing this, than I have with exporting to rtf and importing that. Direct copy/paste from Word into Final Draft is a no-no, too many hidden control codes.

If you do decide to export from Word and import to Final Draft, you could revise (work on a better draft) while fixing whatever needs reformatted, using the activity to your advantage.

-Derek

Centos

Registered
Reaction score
In my last writing class I had to take my movie treatment and make it into a script. I did that, using MSWord. So now, I have this screenplay (version 1) which in my way of doing things will go through five additional revisions. I'd like to use Final Draft, but I don't want to encounter a lot of importing problems Would it just be better to wait and start my next screen play in Final Draft.

Ideas?

I can't guarantee that it would work -- I don't use Microsoft Word -- but you should/might be able to go to https://youmescript.com/ and just copy and paste your script into their editor (you don't even have to log in), do any cleanup necessary, and then export to Final Draft (.fdx) format and read into Final Draft. The YouMe editor seems pretty good at recognizing screenplay elements.