PDA

View Full Version : I Need To Ask The Gay Males Something

ColdWintersNight
12-23-2016, 09:27 AM
Did the title catch your eye? Good! Well, it's literally who I need to ask this question to. Non-LBGT or anyone else can answer, too, by all means. And no this isn't like-

"So how do you throw a gay wedding?"
"You know how to throw a straight wedding?"
"Yeah."
"Do that."

This is geared towards the subject I'm writing about and falling into a valley of things I, personally, as a straight female, literally can't understand the POV of who I'm trying to write. Or, at least I'm not talented enough to fake it (as people like Stephen King who is not gay or bi man and he writes his gay or bi character's awesomely). So please, there's no "bad" or "malice" feelings or thoughts behind any of this, just a general question with honest good intentions. Cool? Cool. SO!

I'm writing like a freight train right now and it's fantastic. Lighting hit, the ground split open and not only did oil come gushing out, but there was gold underneath the soil as well. Since day one, both of my two main characters were men and I always intended to make them a couple/fall in love. But I want to ask for is a little prospective. My story is a thriller and one of the MC's is a murder and a male. He's not a coo-coo-bananas cliche killer and whomp, whomp, he's also gay, but someone who is out for "justified" revenge who end ups liking someone of the same sex. It wasn't something that he was looking for, rather it just happens and he allows to unfold. Along the way, the other MC enters his life, a witness that becomes too curious for his own good, and they go from there. Curious in the fact he saw a murder happen, and is interested in the killer himself, as a murderer. Not that he saw a male bad boy and then suddenly boner! and he had to hook up with him ASAP.

My question is, as a gay male, do you have any feelings/thoughts over the fact that I made a murderer gay and his new friend is a cliched "average" gay man? Does the thought "Why did you have to make him a murderer? Why does the gay guy have to be bad guy?" I might be explaining it very oddly, but the story itself doesn't seem cliche at all to me, and I've read A LOT of queer novels in my life. Does it sound interesting that he's a murderer?

Pretend I'm at a booth at a book fair and I tell you the plot. But THEN I tell you both of the characters are gay for each other. Does that fact add anything for you? Take away? Does it matter as long as the plot is interesting? Are you rolling your eyes and in the back of your head saying "of course they are...". Are you happy to hear that? I don't think I'll gain any gay murderer fans that will thank me for the representation. I'm more hoping that someone will say "Thanks for not making the gay guy a goodie two shoes or a nice dork or a talented young musician living it up in New York City!"

Over the years I've read the same things over and over. Either the murder is a bad guy and the other guy thinks it's hot he's killing (ugh), or the other guy joins him to free his true inner feelings and becomes a murderer himself (double ugh). I 'm trying to stay away from that. And to be honest, the story can live on by itself without having the two have any feeling for each other. I just chose for them to be involved to give the story a little more meat. ...Pun not intended.

Thoughts? Gimmie your pennies.

Ps & Ts.

KTC
12-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Gay for each other? I felt there was something off the whole time I read...but that! I hate that phrase.

Can't you just write the story the way you want to write it and not question stuff like this? I feel warning lights are flashing. Nobody cares whether the gay guy is a murderer or not. Are you inferring that gay guys shouldn't be bad because none of us are? Newsflash...there are gay murderers. If you're asking rudimentary questions like this, maybe 'gay for each other' is not a topic you should be tackling. Sorry...but I really feel there is something wrong with this post, but I can't put my finger on it. I just know I don't feel all that good about it.

AW Admin
12-23-2016, 05:17 PM
And to be honest, the story can live on by itself without having the two have any feeling for each other.

The first thing that strikes me is that you are treating your characters like puppets; this lends to stereotyping and card-board cut-outs.

Secondly, if you're a woman, how can you write abut men? Or people older than you? Or people who are Swedish when you're not?

Assuming that sexual orientation suddenly makes people entirely different is so heteronormative and daft and . . . I can't even.

And then as KTC notes "gay for each other" is kinda a red flag.

Cath
12-23-2016, 05:51 PM
ColdWintersNight, I'm going to leave this thread locked.

As a general rule, if you have to ask other people if something is acceptable, it's probably because you're concerned it's not. If you have that concern, don't do it.

In my experience, when people ask 'how can I write about [x group of people]?' or 'how would [y group of people] react to this?' they've forgotten to write about people as people and written them as stereotypes instead. I hope I don't have to explain why that's bad.