Agents agents everywhere... British English, Contemporary, and Sci-Fi

Outertrial

Registered
Reaction score
I realise that this is going to be totally irrelevant when I have queried every agent on the planet and am crying into my beer but I'm only at the start and am still being positive!

I have written a character driven sci-fi book. I have seen a UK agent that I think it would really fit with, looking at the other books he has sold. He is definitely a hard SF and Fantasy agent, which is great for this book.

After that there are Canadian and US agents I think may be a good fit (I am English but there is nothing linking it to the UK and I spend enough time in the US that I have intentionally avoided any British-English specific language that would limit it from an international market).

But, my next book (I have about 5000 words of this) is quite different. Its more like contemporary fiction with a mix of magic realism. Its written in the first person in a diary format, set in the South of England with an MC who is not very well educated and speaks as such. She is very English, a minor celebrity, and references contemporary British culture constantly.

My problem is that this book I don't think would be a good fit at all for Sci Fi agent #1, and I think the US and Canadian agents would just be baffled by it. It would be much better suited for one of the boutique agencies in London that does quirky fiction. But they aren't going to be very interested in my Sci Fi book.

Should I just sent my finished Sci Fi book to wherever would be the best fit for it, and then worry about the next one later? Or would people recommend I try and find an agent that would cover all the kinds of books I intend to write. This would most likely be one of the larger London based agency.

Thanks.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You're putting the cart way before the horse. You don't know all the books you intend to write will ever exist, or exist in the form you're currently imagining them. You don't know if you'll be able to find an agent for this one. Step at a time.

Aside from that, few agents work alone.

Outertrial

Registered
Reaction score
You're putting the cart way before the horse. You don't know all the books you intend to write will ever exist, or exist in the form you're currently imagining them. You don't know if you'll be able to find an agent for this one. Step at a time.

Aside from that, few agents work alone.

Ha ha yeah I thought that would kind of be the answer. Letting my imagination run away from me. Well, it can be useful sometimes...

Outertrial

Registered
Reaction score
Also, if you submit a book to an agent in a big agency, does that mean that you can't then send it to any of the others in that agency?

I assume that when one has rejected you thats it for all of them?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Also, if you submit a book to an agent in a big agency, does that mean that you can't then send it to any of the others in that agency?

I assume that when one has rejected you thats it for all of them?

This varies, but the agency's web site should make it clear either way.

Outertrial

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I would hate not to get the full round of rejection. Everything thats going...

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to look for a good agent that reps all the genres you like to write. But, you want to focus on the book you are querying and because that's the work you have now.

I was lucky to find an agent that reps both SF and F and Graphic Novels (both scripts and artists), and those are really the bulk of what I write. But I can't predict what I will write in the future, so I had to focus on agents who were a good match for my first novel because I didn't know at the time what exactly I would write next.

Outertrial

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to look for a good agent that reps all the genres you like to write. But, you want to focus on the book you are querying and because that's the work you have now.

I was lucky to find an agent that reps both SF and F and Graphic Novels (both scripts and artists), and those are really the bulk of what I write. But I can't predict what I will write in the future, so I had to focus on agents who were a good match for my first novel because I didn't know at the time what exactly I would write next.

I tool a look at the writing in the book in your avatar. It is very good, exceptional actually.

Do you mind me asking if you found it hard to get an agent and did you get the one you wanted?

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd share a little of my experience here. I just signed with an agent for a contemporary romance novel, and while I do have other romance novels planned, I also have a contemporary fantasy WIP kicking around I'd like to finish at some point. So while I had my phone calls with offering agents, one thing I asked was how they'd handle it if I had a book in another genre. All the agents I talked to said they'd absolutely take a look at it, and even if their site says "no SFF" that doesn't mean they didn't want to see that kind of thing from a client. It might mean more that they don't consider it their strongest suit, so they don't want a query inbox full of hard sci-fi.

But definitely focus on the book you're querying now. The other conversation can come down the road.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
I tool a look at the writing in the book in your avatar. It is very good, exceptional actually.

Do you mind me asking if you found it hard to get an agent and did you get the one you wanted?

Thanks. I sent you a PM regarding my agent search. :)

Outertrial

Registered
Reaction score
I am about ready to go now and have got a list of agents to send to.

To my surprise I find the prospect of doing this enormously daunting suddenly.

I have also noted from the UK agents' requirements that they want a different submission process to the US ones. Instead of a three paragraph pitch, you have to do a covering letter, a synopsis (which is one or two pages), and supply 10,000 words.

I am struggling with the synopsis as its too long to be short and too short to be long, if that makes any sense.

The query letter apparently wants a very brief summary of the book, like one or two lines brief, which I am struggling with too.

There doesn't seem to be much up to date guidance out there about UK submissions so if anyone has any I would be really grateful.

Also, stupid question but when emailing agents, do you use their surname or first name?

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Use their surname. I also used Ms. instead of Mrs/Miss with female agents because trying to guess marital status was a no-go for me.

I strongly encourage you to look up 'loglines' to help with your one or two line summary for the query. I know that Authoress (Miss Snark's First Victim blog) has run logline competitions in the past so you should find plenty of examples, plus a basic formula for how to write your own. (You will need to do a search for it though.)

Personally, I wrote a three sentence logline (one for each act of my novel) and then worked out from that to create a workable query for American agents, and a synopsis for those that wanted it.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I am about ready to go now and have got a list of agents to send to.

Nice work! You can do it. :)

I have also noted from the UK agents' requirements that they want a different submission process to the US ones. Instead of a three paragraph pitch, you have to do a covering letter, a synopsis (which is one or two pages), and supply 10,000 words.

Yeah, our submission process is.... unique. ;) And it tends to vary very wildly between agencies, which is maddening.

I am struggling with the synopsis as its too long to be short and too short to be long, if that makes any sense.

Synopses are hard for everyone. If you can keep it to two-pages single-spaced [synopses are always single-spaced] you should be good for most agencies.

The query letter apparently wants a very brief summary of the book, like one or two lines brief, which I am struggling with too.

Yeah, this is sometimes called an "elevator pitch" -- a very short pitch of your book. It's another thing writers really struggle with. Practising Twitter pitching can be helpful here.

There doesn't seem to be much up to date guidance out there about UK submissions so if anyone has any I would be really grateful.

PuttPutt has an amazing thread on this, let me dig it up... here we are!

Also, I really like Nicola Morgan's books Write a Great Synopsis and Dear Agent. Amazing guidebooks for the modern UK querying market.

Also, stupid question but when emailing agents, do you use their surname or first name?

Always title and surname -- Mr/Ms usually, though you can sometimes use Mrs if the agents sub guidelines make it clear she's comfortable with that.

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
OT - you may find it easier to query agents in batches. That way, it's not only less to try and track, if there's an issue with your query etc. you can revise it before you send to the next batch. Means one "mistake" doesn't affect the whole lot, and you can focus on US-specific requirements in one batch, then worry about UK in another batch, etc.

Queries are difficult beasts and can take many tries to write one that works for your book. Definitely read the UK query thread EMaree links to, and try to hang out in the Query Letter Hell forum for a while to soak up the lessons there.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Seconding the batches idea, they're really useful!

I'm also a fan of the one-in-one-out method, sending out a fresh query as soon as you get a rejection. It keeps me pushing forward through the rejections and keeps my spirits up. It's not entirely harmonious with the batch idea but it can be done -- I'll sometimes send out a batch of ten then do one-in-one-out for a while. (This is called 'revenge querying' in a lot of places, but that's a term I dislike.)

Also, it's usually wise to start writing the new project after you send the queries out. You'll want something to distract you from the wait.

Outertrial

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I was just going to send one at first, to try and ease myself into it.

Then I thought if the Agents Guild don't kick my door down in the middle of the night and drag me onto the street to be shot for the crime of sending out my awful book - I thought I might send a few more out.

I really am dreading this. Oh well.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Start writing the next one, as EMaree says. It doesn't stop the sting, but it does give you something else to occupy the mind, rather than worry.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I really like Nicola Morgan's books Write a Great Synopsis and Dear Agent. Amazing guidebooks for the modern UK querying market.

Nicola's going to be so pleased you said this, EM. And you're right, they're great!

I agree with much has been said about querying in batches, and so on. But what I would also advise the OP to do is to put a portion of this book through SYW before starting to query it. It's amazing how much light that throws on the text.

Outertrial

Registered
Reaction score
Just bought the Nicola Morgan books, looks like thats my lunch break reading sorted for the next couple of days.

gadahl

GAD
Registered
Reaction score
One suggestion for the OP: As you send out your queries keep a matrix, a simple table, showing the agent, the agency with address and telephone no., the query date and exactly what you sent. Add a column for responses, MS requests, and other comments. This way you can track your submissions over time and, after a reasonable time has passed if you have no reply, give the agent a polite "bump" to ask if he/she needs more time.
Good luck.