PDA

View Full Version : Teen Romance/Fantasy Beta-Buddies anyone? (100k. Will Swap Happily)

IsraellaBaht
12-20-2016, 02:04 AM
Heyyy! I have a 100k word manuscript that I've edited over and over. I'm honestly extremely tired of reading my own work, and I don't think that I can possibly spot out any more mistakes at this point. I need a pair of new eyes to inspect my work and give me feedback.

I'm looking for a beta-reader because I need a writing friend. We can be long-term. That would be ideal, actually. I don't have anyone in my non-virtual life who gives a crap about my writing obsession, *cries* so I really want somebody to read my work and point out things that I've never noticed or considered. I also need the editing and I can't pay for it (no job lol). I will edit your work line by line if you do the same. I'm also super respectful, and I would NEVER cross the line and say something that I know will crush your love for writing. I will, however, point out things that could help your story become better and offer punctuation/grammatical editing.

Things about me:

I'm 17 and female.

I live in the USA and I only speak English.

I don't mind texting and talking about stuff outside of writing. I'm looking for a friend, too.

It is SUPER preferable if you are somebody around my age who likes the same type of writing as me. However, I'd also like a line by line edit, so you need to be someone who has good grammatical/punctuation skills.

I'd prefer a female beta-reader since this is a romance story and usually guys aren't into that. I don't want you to feel tempted to inquiry me if you're male just because you're trying to get your story read, because that will probably lead to an unpleasant beta-relationship where you stop responding due to hating my story. That doesn't sound fun. Eto...

I don't mind negative feedback, but please be gentle.

I'm trying really hard to sound formal right now.

This is depressing to me for some reason. I think it's because I don't feel like anyone will respond. *Le sigh.*

Project Summary:

This is just a short one I wrote for fictionpress.com

Erin is a normal human who just wanted to explore her new life. Too bad, instead, that she ended up exploring a new world. Oh, and then there's being bonded to William-her difficult, aggressive and controlling partner who just so happens to be beautiful. Eventually she'll end up having to work with, care for and even make love to him... but first they have to stop hating each other.

This is a longer version that I wrote for a query letter. And not to brag or anything, but it actually got a response. Of course it was then thrown away since I forgot to write a proper subject caption for the email in which I sent my manuscript, but anyway...

Erin Wallington is kidnapped from her world by a wolf, but not to become its food. The last thing she would expect after almost dying was to wake up, but in the new world that she finds herself in, there’s only more of the unexpected to come. After being saved by William Jarvis, a hot-tempered, argumentative, rebellious and let’s not forget completely beautiful boy with a knack for unflattering nicknames and leaving questions unanswered, Erin finds out that said boy is actually her reason for being there… and the conditions may not be very agreeable.

Specifically speaking, the moment they touched was the second that they would become bonded forever, whether Erin (or William) likes it or not. Erin has been called on for a certain task – to heal William – and it is only through working with him and accepting him as her dominant half that she can avoid the pain associated with being his underling.

Her new world contains fairies, dragons, and ogres, all while she has to submit to an entirely new caste system based off of forms and rank – one which William sits at the top of. As the servant to a powerful family, she will have to live side by side with the clan that plans on making her their son’s woman.

^^This is a really rough, probably grammatically incorrect summary. I apologize in advance.

Extra things that may be useful in deciding whether we are compatible or not:

What are my male-character preferences? I like bad boys. I like 'em jealous, sarcastic and difficult to get along with - pure love-hate relationship material. I'm not into Prince Charming types. But at the core he has to be affectionate, unique and a good man. I have a love-love relationship with dominant boys (not BDSM dominant - normal dominant lol), and I love a guy who's stubborn.

What genres will I read? I'll read romances of the sub-genres: fantasy, supernatural, paranormal, magical realism, or anything that includes content that can't happen in real life. Due to religious reasons, I will not read anything that includes non-heterosexual relationships, bestiality or incestual relationships. I also prefer T-rated stuff due to the fact that I'm trying to stay away from stories with pre-marital sex scenes. However, if your story doesn't include pre-marital sex, I'll definitely consider higher and lower ratings. Please know that I am God-fearing and I'm just not interested in these things. I don't mean to offend anyone, though. Okay?

Thanks for stopping by! And to anyone who read all of this, arigatou gozaimasu!!!

davidjgalloway
12-20-2016, 05:11 AM
Due to religious reasons, I will not read anything that includes non-heterosexual relationships, bestiality or incestual relationships. ... Please know that I am God-fearing and I'm just not interested in these things. I don't mean to offend anyone, though. Okay?

The desire not to offend is wise, and kind. But I'm sure that to some you've already leaped over the line by listing non-hetero relationships in the same category of terrible as bestiality and incest. Do you see why that is offensive, and why it is so regardless of your desire not to offend?

It's far too late, now, but if you really do feel that way, then I'd by all means list your least favorite illegal activities, but perhaps say nothing about relationships, even though that won't be the filter you desire.

And as you're only seventeen, I hope and pray your future is one where you come to a deeper understanding of the world and the people in it, and realize that the way folks love others not only has no bearing on your happiness, but also is their own business and no one else's.

madjack
12-20-2016, 11:39 PM
You have every right to post what you're willing to read. Not sure why the person above me feels the need to respond to *your* reading preferences in a post for a beta/CP swap.

davidjgalloway
12-21-2016, 04:10 AM
It is a poser.

IsraellaBaht
12-21-2016, 08:19 PM
The desire not to offend is wise, and kind. But I'm sure that to some you've already leaped over the line by listing non-hetero relationships in the same category of terrible as bestiality and incest. Do you see why that is offensive, and why it is so regardless of your desire not to offend?

It's far too late, now, but if you really do feel that way, then I'd by all means list your least favorite illegal activities, but perhaps say nothing about relationships, even though that won't be the filter you desire.

And as you're only seventeen, I hope and pray your future is one where you come to a deeper understanding of the world and the people in it, and realize that the way folks love others not only has no bearing on your happiness, but also is their own business and no one else's.

Actually, I listed non-hetero relationships with those things because in the Bible (my source), those things are listed one after another so they popped up in my head at the same time. I simply thought of them together for this reason. Because this thread is eliciting a beta for a ROMANTIC work (which would then elicit stories containing sexual content), I had to list the kinds of sexual content that I cannot read. I was not "relating" them, I was simply listing any kind of SEXUAL content that I can't read. You seem to be making an implication that I don't understand the world, that I care about other people's business, and that I let any of those things have a bearing on my happiness, which I find strange because you:

1. Are responding as if I stated anything negative about those kinds of activities.

2. Actually believe that I should have to choose your beliefs over mine, even when I didn't disrespect anyone.

3. Said you would "hope and pray" for me, when you clearly aren't praying at all.

So let me sum a few things up for you. 1. I have different beliefs as you. Seeing as this is MY beta-swap thread, I have every right to prefer and/or not read certain things. Its actually ridiculous that you'd think mankind would be powerful enough to steer me away from the LORD and HIS laws. Sorry, but I will never choose to abandon those. However, even with that said, I NEVER bashed anyone. Sorry that I have my own preferences and I decided to stand by them, like I have the right to do.

2. Listing things is not "relating" them. Maybe you just have a reading issue? Romantic book = sexual content. Sexual content leads to the certain kinds of sexual content that I can't read due to my religious beliefs. To relate something and to list things that apply to the same rule are not the same.

3. Your attempt to make me angry by assuming that any of those things listed affects my happiness, and/or that I have any interest in their personal business was honestly pathetic. I'm amazingly happy, maintaining a good relationship with my God, and I'm trying to stay OUT of their business... by not reading it. Simple, huh? Le sigh... that whole "mind your business/their love doesn't affect you" line is so old. Who commented on them? *yawn* You tried it and it didn't work at all. Don't involve me in things that I didn't involve myself in, dear.

I have two last tips for you. One, don't come for me if I didn't send for you, two, please fix your insecurity issues. I would never disrespect someone who practices non-hetero sex, or anything of the like. I'd give them my God-inspired opinion IF they asked, but otherwise I wouldn't even have a negative thought. I'd just keep it pushing. Not everyone who doesn't believe in practicing certain things for THEMSELVES and their relationship with God is a rude, nosy bigot who'd jump at the chance to attack anyone. A true believer would know that they should focus on repenting for their own sins and not turn up their nose at anyone else since they aren't perfect. That's how I carry myself, and I'm insulted that you'd try to reach so low.

You played yourself and lost. Byebye now! ;)

IsraellaBaht
12-21-2016, 08:22 PM
Thanks! I was honestly taken aback by that. But I guess some people believe that their beliefs should be tolerated, while in the same breath saying that other beliefs shouldn't be? Even when no rights are being taken away, no violence is occurring, and no kind of bashing is going down. Strange.

People act as if there's a law that says "you must like, agree with and uplift so and so's behavior." Um... no. Bye felipe!

davidjgalloway
12-22-2016, 12:08 AM
Because this thread is illiciting a beta for a ROMANTIC work

Eliciting. Illicit (adj) is the stuff you don't want to read.

IsraellaBaht
12-22-2016, 12:54 AM
Oh, okay. Thanks. I was using that word wrong in my book so I'm lucky you pointed that out.

evilrooster
12-22-2016, 03:22 PM
3. Said you would "hope and pray" for me, when you clearly aren't praying at all.

Point of order: this is not something you can know.

Best of luck finding a reading partner, this early interaction notwithstanding.

AW Admin
12-22-2016, 04:54 PM
This member has left the building. A beta reader is doing you a huge favor; you're not hiring them.

Moreover, we are absolutely serious about Respect Your Fellow Writer (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?66315-Newbie-Guide!&p=1498432&viewfull=1#post1498432).