Weird or Tacky Ornament Shout Out

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
In my 66 years I have saddled myself with many baffling possessions. Right now I am dealing with some of the bafflingest--6 boxes of Christmas ornaments dating from Hopalong Cassidy to a Key West Mermaid with stars for boobs. Prim and single themed Holiday displays have always made me nervous. Ornaments should be quirky, tacky, well loved. Each should carry a story but all those stories make for a tacky, noisy tree.

I'd like to know if any Awers have the same ornaments that I do. Not just Christmas ornaments, wreaths, mugs, all beloved knickknacks, even desk ornaments. Tell me their story. Let's see how many of us share weird ornaments.

If you have one of these ornaments, or a weirder one, tell me about it:

Yellow Submarine

Lighthouse

Fish--yes. I collect fish ornaments because one Christmas my middle daughter decided to follow a band called Phish instead of coming home for Christmas. Eventually, after camping out in a swamp and going hungry, she decided to come home. The fish are just a reminder that Mom's Christmas is better than Phish's Christmas.

Food--yes, sadly, we have comfort food ornaments. We buy each other's favorite foods in ornament form. We have waffles, hot dogs (mine) mac & cheese, nachos, spaghetti and meatballs, a BLT and slaw, several pizzas and a tub of Coca Cola (for my Brother in law).

Santas

Cowboys

Gardens

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I have some food ornaments: some made from food boxes as a kid (teddy bear in a raisins box), some old dried gingerbread ornaments, and a small wooden orange.

I got Mr. Maxwell a xenomorph ornament a few years back. That's probably the weirdest one we have.

As a little girl, my mom bought me a collection of Sesame Street ornaments, with each character doing something wintery, like sledding or skating. We also had a set of white reindeer doing acrobats: five or six that you put in a row and they were doing a somersault, and a handful that hung on trapezes.

My favorites, though, are a pair of little books. Like, actual books with readable pages. One's got Christmas songs in it, and the other has a story of a bunch of toys repairing an old, torn teddy bear for Christmas. They're not tacky, but they are unusual, hanging books on a tree.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see, we've got -

• Palm Trees dressed up as Xmas trees solely because we're Futurama fans
  • About 20 Simpsons ornaments
  • A variety of rocket ships
  • A burrito and a taco
  • A porcelain unicorn (that I got as a kid and is my favorite thing in the universe)
  • Several superheroes
  • The entire Mickey Mouse crew as their A Christmas Carol selves (given to me as a kid by ... someone?)
  • A whole lot of penguins
  • A few sparkly top hats
  • And one very rotund snowman that wouldn't be tacky except for the fact that "Snowmen are Cool" is written across its belly.

No real story goes with most of them. Spouse-face and I just like kitsch and tacky ornaments. They play well with my bead garland that looks like starlight mints.

ETA: Oh, and I'm adding one more as a gift to spouse-face this year (don't tell 'em!) - BMO from Adventure Time

Last edited:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a fetish for Christmas tree ornaments. The stranger the better. But they also have to look "pretty" -- glass, sequined, or beaded. No drab plastic or cast resin. (I've broken that rule a couple of times though.) This year, I added to the collection with a blown glass little white dog in a Wonder Woman costume, and a Bassett Hound in a wedding dress.

The most unusual one, though, is a Zapatista from Mexico.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I have a ton of homemade/handmade ornaments my kids gave me, each one more horrible than the next (though I still cherish them). All the ornaments they made in school.

Globs of hardened clay, painted haphazardly with random glitter-glue accents

Picture frames made of Popsicle sticks

Foam Christmas train with pieces pealing off of it

Something that was once an orange with a ton of these spiky, scented cloves sticking out of it.

unidentifiable Lego creations

and many, many more.

I just so happens, however, that I have Ornament OCD. I demand uniformity in color, consistency in design, and an even distribution among the branches. So, I keep the kid-gifted ornaments in a 'special box so they won't get broken' and instead decorate the tree exactly as I want it. A place for every ornament and every ornament in its place. Only white lights. White, silver, turquoise and blue decorations. Crystal icicle garland, hand-crocheted snowflakes and large blue 'poinsettia' flowers among the branches. The children are finally allowed to help decorate it, now that they are teenagers and don't want to.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I have a little black Christmas tree with a string of plastic pearls for garland, and is decorated completely in, you guessed it, spider ornaments. Even the tree topper is a web with a gold and white beaded wire spider in it. I made every one of them.
Hubby refers to it as my blasphemous Christmas tree.

Our regular tree is in the living room. Basic green, multi-colored lights, angel on top. About 50% of the ornaments are handmade, either by me, or the kids.

There are some keepsake ornaments we were given over the years, like Luke Skywalker, and the little pink polka-a-dotted kitten from Strawberry Shortcake (That one is mine. Bet you didn't see that one coming :tongue)

A set of holiday themed stuffed felt teddy bears with embroidery that I made from a kit I was given.

The usual homemade kids ornaments. Tissue paper wreathes, cut out shaped scratch art, candy cane reindeer (and every single one is broken. I think only one made it onto the tree this year).

The little felt, sequin, and bead covered wreathes and Santa boots. Those are the ones the cats go for, so every year I have a heart attack, wondering how many of the little pins that hold the beads in will end up in a cat's stomach:eek:.

There are NO glass ornaments on our tree. Too many critters and kids running amok.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
We were just talking about this--our tree is a sight to sore your eyes.

We have a minion, the beatles, a BB8 droid, wooden mushrooms and elf-ed versions of ourselves, to name a few.

New this year are photo blocks with old family Christmas pics and edible gingerbread cookies.

ETA:
Wicked, your avatar is truly wicked--eeeeeek!!!

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I have a little black Christmas tree with a string of plastic pearls for garland, and is decorated completely in, you guessed it, spider ornaments. Even the tree topper is a web with a gold and white beaded wire spider in it. I made every one of them.
Hubby refers to it as my blasphemous Christmas tree.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
We have a Doctor Who tree, a Barbie tree, and the big tree, which has everything from handmade art ornaments to stuff my kid made in preschool to lots and lots of pop culture: Elvis, Star Wars, Star Trek, Disney, Simpsons, Planet of the Apes, Superman, Batman, the overflow Doctor Who and Barbie ornaments that wouldn't fit on the smaller trees, etc.

I did originally object to having villains on the tree, which didn't seem appropriate to the season, but I got voted down by my boys and so Darth Vader and the Daleks got to stay.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
And of course, we have the original Star Trek talking ornament.

Leonard Nimoy saying "Shuttlecraft to Enterprise. Shuttlecraft to Enterprise. Spock here. Happy Holidays. Live long and prosper."

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
On my tree I have about half a dozen different Grinch ornaments, a pink flamingo with a wreath around its neck (bought in Texas), Peter Pan on a sled, and Tinkerbell on a snowflake, wooden ornaments hand-carved by my father, and I also have about a dozen ornaments from the year my parents were married. I also have santas, because I collect those, and the perhaps oddest piece is a Partridge Family bus... that plays the theme song when you push on the doors. :roll: Oh, and mustn't forget the wee little plush frog... with a red and white striped scarf, and the Tim Bits snowman!

I'm all about the whacky and colourful. Two different colours of garland, multi-coloured lights... and every year I try to find an odd or unusual ornament to add to the collection. This year's addition is a small palm tree with lights wrapped around the trunk and a parrot sitting on top.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
And of course, we have the original Star Trek talking ornament.

Leonard Nimoy saying "Shuttlecraft to Enterprise. Shuttlecraft to Enterprise. Spock here. Happy Holidays. Live long and prosper."

Love this! I should put up two trees just for Star Trek and Star Wars ornaments! LOL :)

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Most years, we have a multicolored fiberoptic Xmas tree. This year, it's a pink tinsel lighted tree - currently with a Death Star topper (the Hallmark one that lights up in different colors and plays the Imperial March.)

As for weird and tacky ornaments, we have many - several of which I'm directly responsible for, as making holiday ornaments for relatives has been a "thing" I've done for 20-odd years. (I didn't actually start making them for immediate family, let alone myself, until much more recently due to workspace constrictions - when I started, I had a TV dinner tray in my room, which became a corner of the dining room table when I got cats and needed a cat-proof place to sculpt and paint.)

Some highlights, with Photobucket links for the bored:

Hummingbirds (last year, honoring my late great-aunt; she died in her garden, after which an oddly abundant number of hummers frequented the site. Also the year I switched from Paperclay to Apoxie.)

Appalachian Dulcimers (the year before, honoring my late grandfather, who made many musical instruments)

Glittered, glow-in-the-dark carousel animals (with "night view" - these were great fun to make. The only way to be sure the "white" glow paint covered evenly was to charge it, turn off the lights, and paint in the dark. It was as awesome as it sounds...)

Canopic Jars (honoring the King Tut exhibit we saw that year - some artistic license taken)

Generic Tacky Shapes (just 'cause...)

More Generic Tacky Shapes (different year)

A Banana Slug - Side Shot (inspired by seeing a TV special on how banana slugs could drop from tree canopies on slime trails to avoid sun dessication... how could any PNW native not make a banana slug ornament after seeing that?)

And so on and so forth...

There are also some traditional ornaments, such as the "clothespin" unicorns (unicorns made with some manner of old-fashioned clothespin - bought them ages ago at local stores, and you never see them anymore.)

As for the holiday spider tree someone mentioned upthread, there's actually a legend of the Xmas spider.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I found a few more while decorating the tree! Most unusual is a blown glass sushi roll, and a glass coffee package and to-go coffee cup. This year I decorated the tree with all my favorite things.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I have a real ecclectic mix of ornaments, though none quite as "fun" as the boob mermaid described in the OP. Since I studied lizards in grad school, I have a number of lizard ornaments. I also have several dog and cat ornaments. I've got a set of wooden ones that look like different species of fish (bass, trout, perch ect.). There's also a limited edition Star Trek Next Generation ornament (a hotly contested prize from a long-ago gift exchange from a holiday party) that dates back to the 80s. It features Lt. Commander data at his console.

But by far the tackiest one in my collection was a gift from the cousin who is also my best friend. It is a carefully molded pile of dog poo (done in some kind of resin and hand painted just the right shade of brown), delicately frosted with white glitter (as if the pile had been sitting out in the snow for a while) and garnished with a bright, red bow. It gets pride of place each year I set up a tree.

I wish I could include shots of some of our stranger ones, but alas, they're boxed up in the garage, because we aren't doing a tree this year.

Last edited:

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
As for the holiday spider tree someone mentioned upthread, there's actually a legend of the Xmas spider.

:) Those are the little beaded ornaments I make. In fact I was making some last night. My daughter wanted one for her math teacher, done in his favorite sports teams colors, for the tree in his classroom, and another for her bus driver.

I used to make them for all my friends and family, and send them along with the story printed out on holiday paper. Unfortunately I lost that version of the story when my computer crashed.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
We do this thing where we buy one or two new ornaments for every vacation. The best ones are our collection of Henry VIII, his wives, and his daughter Elizabeth (apparently, there's no ornament of Bloody Mary). We don't have them all yet, but we've been buying one every time we go to England since I was a kid. We go a lot because I have family there, including my brother. They're the best. The only problem is the wives all look identical, except for dress colour. It's a challenge to remember who's which colour haha

My favorites, though, are a pair of little books. Like, actual books with readable pages. One's got Christmas songs in it, and the other has a story of a bunch of toys repairing an old, torn teddy bear for Christmas. They're not tacky, but they are unusual, hanging books on a tree.

We have a little book, too! It's of nursery rhymes, but is so old that the pages are taped together. And some of them aren't in the current zeitgeist. For good reason. Yeah.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know that any of ours qualify as weird or tacky, although some are totally shabby. We haven't put a tree up since 2009. My Dad and his cat moved in with us in 2010. She is big (16 pounds) and nosy. I know she would be up on the table, checking out the tree and many breakable ornaments. Dad has been gone almost 3 years, but she's still here. Probably won't have a tree till she's gone. And she's only 9, so I may never have another tree.

MM

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have a couple that could be considered weird, and possibly tacky, but I love them and want a whole tree full - this woman makes ornaments by dipping leaves and pinecones in metallic stuff. The leaves get all lacey because most of the leaf dissolves in the heat. It's kinda weird hanging preserved tree parts on a tree, but there's something about it, heh.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I had to move Jaws because he was about to bite off Willie May's leg! He already has one leg in his mouth. (Jaws, not Willie.) The Lone Ranger was coming to rescue Willie but he was clear across the tree. Willie was too busy catching a fly ball hit by baseball Santa to pay attention. Now Jaws is parked next to my grandson's robots. I don't know why they all can't get along, but I guess sharks will be sharks even with christmas wreaths around their fins. --s6

Last edited:

Ink-Pen-Paper

Life Is Full Of Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
what-me.com
During the early years of marriage, owning nothing except 1930's electrocution light strings (never plug them in), spouse and I would pick up ornaments where we were traveling. A few were beautiful, German hand created birds and creatures done in feathers. Over the years the cats would climb the trees to kill the birds. Then the dogs would help. After thirty or forty years they looked like roadkill, feathers sticking out in unnatural directions. Hooks were stuck in as the originals were long gone, in places hooks should not be. Those started out as fine ornaments and ended their little lives as chewed up roadkill. But not thrown away yet. There are still a few feathers left.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My daughter, Gus, has the little books on her tree. She picked them up at a Flea Market on the day after Christmas, the first year she put up a tree. Her daughter was one. She was a single mom and broke so she figured her daughter wouldn't notice that they didn't have a tree but at the last minute her equally broke sister found a short but gorgeous, white flocked tree for less than half price. She bought it and delivered it on Christmas Eve as a Santa surprise. No time for ornaments so Gus decorated it with Mazzy's Pound Puppies. The next week she searched the flea markets for ornaments and found three little books. That was ten years ago. They always have Pound Puppies and the little books on their tree although there are some newer ornaments and some school ornaments, too. --s6

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have 4 Transformers on my tree and would have Grimlock as well, but I packed him for my up coming move. I also have small wooden frogs and pigs. When my sister was in high school, she belonged to a club that sold Holiday Ham ornaments as a fundraiser. They've survived all these years.