Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hi all,

We're sucking up more and more bandwidth and resources on the forums, which means the hosting bills are getting higher and we're experiencing those "glitches" where the site goes down for a few seconds at a time more often. I'm probably going to need to upgrade to a virtual private server or dedicated server soon, but am trying to hold off as long as I can because funds are tight right now. So I'm going to make some changes for now:

I'm going to disallow images in signatures, and not allow posted images to be uploaded to our servers (in other words, you can still post images, but they'll have to be hosted on photobucket.com or another site like that, or your own site). There won't be any more "manage attachments" option to upload images from your hard drive into a post.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I hope to lift the signature restriction eventually, but I need to figure out where we're using up all this bandwidth. I may also start archiving older threads.

Thanks for understanding.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Jenna,

Just wondering about images already posted? I just posted one in the AW Family Album thread but I uploaded it directly from my computer. Should I go back and put it somewhere else before it disappears?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dr Jnn,

Hw bt gttng rd f ll vwls? Txt s stll cmprhnsbl (wth sm ffrt), nd scrn nms lk 'kdnxdr' wll mk mch mr sns.

Jst dng m bt,

ptnht.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Poet, that could get interesting...

Kristie, I already made the change, so I think anything that's still there is safe. :) I *think* it'll just mean that nothing more can be uploaded after today.

Reph: I've kind of given up on the "please snip down quotes when you reply" lecture... it's in the "Good Etiquette" thread now, but I'm tired of running around after people and editing their quoted material for them. Emoticons... sorry-- they're staying. :tongue

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
Whew, I'm glad that the emoticons are staying Jenna :) I use 'em too much to give up on 'em now ... too addicted :p As for bandwidth, if you have a control panel like cPanel, you might want to investigate the stats options to see where all the bandwidth is going. I remember that on my site at one time I had bandwidth usage of like 1GB a day and it was all referral spammers, no legit traffic. A few hours of setting up .htaccess files to block specific referrer URLs cured most of that and brought my daily usage down from about 1GB a day to 30MB a day :p

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hey Fahim! Yeeps. I have peeked at the stats before and just had no idea what they meant. How did you know about the "referral spammers"? (I don't even know what that means.)

I still don't even fully get the concept of bandwidth (and "resources"). I'm so technically inadequate to run a site this big. I mostly try to just stand here and smile pretty.

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
JennaGlatzer said:
Hey Fahim! Yeeps. I have peeked at the stats before and just had no idea what they meant. How did you know about the "referral spammers"? (I don't even know what that means.)

Basically, these are idiots who keep sending traffic to your site (usually the main page) because each access to your site has what is known as a "referrer URL" - or where the site view originated from. There used to be a time when people put up referrer links showing who is accessing their page/site. That was when the referrer spammers got started because getting your site on the referrer lists meant that your ranking went up on various search engines.

To identify these guys, you should look at the referrers section of your stats. If you see a specific site appearing a lot but they have nothing to do with AW or writing and don't even appear to have a link to your site, then they are probably a referrer spammer. Then you can take the next step by blocking their traffic or do what I do - return their traffic to them so that it is their bandwidth that gets used up :p

JennaGlatzer said:
I still don't even fully get the concept of bandwidth (and "resources"). I'm so technically inadequate to run a site this big. I mostly try to just stand here and smile pretty.

LOL. If you do need any help with finding the bandwidth hogs and stuff, I'm willing to lend a hand - if you can use my help that is :)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
But, but, my paw! :e2cry:

Although I'm relieved there's a Reason things weren't working today.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's quite simply the end of the world. I just thought it would be a little louder.

Fahim, sent you a PM.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I disabled all of mine. It was overused anyway

rich

Having graphic stuff in a signature is annoying anyway. Cutting back on emoticons should be a writer's dream.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
rich said:
Cutting back on emoticons should be a writer's dream.

emoticoncry.gif
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: noooooooooo

JamesC

Banned
Reaction score
Website
totalweb-inc.com
Well let me see if I can help explain where it all goes.

On the avarage there are 125 people logged on the forum every hour of the day (I know this cus I have been tracking it for over 2 months now). Now I am talking 24 hours a day some members but mostly vistors.

Ok now the avarage avatar (photo to the left) is around 3500 bytes (this depends on which topic you use to get the avarage).

Now this one post seems to have about 15 avatars right now so lets do some math.

15x3500=52500 bytes you say well thats not to bad but what happens when the people logged on to the site get added to the mix.

At the time of writing this I counted 131 people on the forum most likely they all will have a look at this post with in the hour.
52500x131=6877500 bytes (or 6.5589 megabytes)

Uh oh seems this is a little bit more then what we started with now what happens in 24 hours if 1/3 of the traffic looks here.

So we will take a third of 24 hour traffic and that makes 8 hours soooo
8x6877500=55020000 byte (or 52.47116 megabytes)

Ok so now you see thats not to bad but what we are doing is looking what traffic this one post will produce in 24 hours with only 1/3 of the people looking at it. And this is in just the images with less then 20 replies to it.

Now lets just say that all post are going by this avarage (very low avarage if you know what I mean)

So we have 131 people a day looking at the forum 24 hours a day with using this avarage the bandwidth will be:
131x55020000=7207620000 bytes (or 6.71262 Gigabytes) in a 24 hour time frame.

Now this is images alone that does not include the queries of back and forth to fetch an image else where or the text that is posted and little icons or the queries where PHP is searching through the 5 million + lines of data that is stored in the sql data base (5 million lines is based on when we moved the site over to this server around 5 months ago).

Soooo now we can see where the bandwidth and resourses are going now of course this is just an avarage it is not what this forum uses daily (I am not at liberity to post the real figures) but hopefully this helps yall figure out where it is all going

I know where it is going or at least I have a good idea after keeping an eye on it for 2 months but hey I could be wrong (not likely though).

Well theres some figures to ponder tinker with the math and you will see how it runs in a day.

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Since I have broadband, I am signed into the forum all day, even though I might be doing something else away from my PC. Perhaps if I signed out every time I leave the computer, and others who are just as naugty, did the same, it might help????

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
aruna said:
Since I have broadband, I am signed into the forum all day, even though I might be doing something else away from my PC. Perhaps if I signed out every time I leave the computer, and others who are just as naugty, did the same, it might help????

Aruna, just being signed in all the time will not take up any bandwidth :) Bandwidth only gets used when you actually load pages or read different topics/threads on forums ....

Status
Not open for further replies.