What's your day job?

ChopinsMuse

Registered
Reaction score
Hey writers,

I'm a year off to finishing school. I love writing, and really can't imagine a life without it. However, I understand it is not a stable career and those who do make it a stable career have to have not only talent, but luck, chance and fate in their hands. So while I will always do it and always have stories to tell, I realise there has to be a more realistic backup in regards to making income.

Right now, I'm thinking about going to uni to pursue degrees in either music or law, and write on the side.

Just wondering what you lovely people do when you're not busy tapping away at the keyboard. :)

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I don't have a job, and probably never will - as I'm disabled (kind of, really sucks, but meh).

Instead I try to occupy my time with hobbies and story development. Nothing gets finished when it comes to the actual storytelling though. >>

jliz0808

Registered
Reaction score
My day job is to stay at home and take care of my four children. I used to long to stay at home with the kids and now that I do I long to work. I guess that is life!! I am lucky I can pop onto AW and not feel so lonely. Wouldn't it be great to make a living writing; one day!! :)

technoglobe

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a middle school English teacher. I spend my days trying to help kids figure out that reading and writing isn't that bad.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an artist and art teacher. I co-own a small crafting business. Nothing exciting, but it gives me plenty of time to write.

anakhouri79

Registered
Reaction score
I stay at home with my two kids, but I also cover shifts for people at the old bookstore where I used to work full-time. It's nice to get out of the house a couple days a month and actually talk to grown-ups about my favorite subject!

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'm retired now, but my last job I was an EA (Executive Assistant). It involved a lot of different things - arranging travel (and applying for necessary visas on boss's behalf), making restaurant reservations, collating and distributing reports, organizing team functions, and just generally being approachable so that if anyone on the team didn't feel they could go directly to the boss, they could bring their complaint/problem to me and I would ensure it got resolved.

I loved that job so much.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm retired now too, (after over 40 years working in corporate america) - the last 15 years, I was the office manager at an accounting firm - Lurved the job - Except during "tax season"

I do freelance copywriting from home.

Sometimes, I miss the people, but I don't miss that 40-minute commute or the stress at all - Nope, not at all. :tongue

Last edited:

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'm retired now too, (after over 40 years working in corporate america) - the last 15 years, I was the office manager at an accounting firm - Lurved the job - Except during "tax season"

I do freelance copywriting from home.

Sometimes, I miss the people, but I don't miss that 40-minute commute or the stress at all - Nope, not at all. :tongue

Yeah, I don't miss the commute at all either. I told my boss if he could come up with a transporter (a la Star Trek), I could keep working. :ROFL:

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Not me - once my nest egg is replete, I am checking out of gainful employment and eating Cheetos, writing, and whatever my heart desires until the end of my days. :roll:

For now though, I am a technical trainer for a major telecommunications company. I train network engineers, NOC techs, sysadmins, etc. on how to deploy, install, commission, use, and troubleshoot our hardware and software.

allthefeels

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a lawyer - I practice employment defense litigation (defending employers against claims from employees, essentially).

ManWithTheMetalArm

Has One Badass Arm
Registered
Reaction score
I'm one of the annoying people who calls you over the phone and asks, "Hello sir/mam, would you like the take our brief survey today?" "PISS OFF!" "I understand, we can call back at another time. You have a good day!" Not for much longer though, as the place I work at is closing for good in February, so with luck, I'll be able to find a new job this month, hopefully at someplace like Barnes and Noble.

ChopinsMuse

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a lawyer - I practice employment defense litigation (defending employers against claims from employees, essentially).

Do lawyers get paid per case, or is there a set payment per year? (like teaching)

Nightender

Registered
Reaction score
I make plastic bags. If you've ever seen clear diaper bags made my Procter & Gamble, the ones with the promotional sticker on them, those are the kinds of bags I make.

Highest paying job I've ever had too.

Before that, I was a college teaching assistant, worked at a bookstore counting money, passed out samples, arranged office supplies, and drove a forklift.

I'm weird, I know.

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
I am a stay at home mom to a 12 year old with autism disorder and ADHD. Life is certainly interesting for us. I can't write while he's home either, he has a habit of reading over my shoulder, and he has a photographic memory.

It's not pretty, considering I write romance stories.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I was once dismissed as just 'the data guy', and the Peter Pinciple seems to be in effect.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
I graduated from college in May and found a job working for a non-profit. I'm applying to MFA programs, so I'm hoping that this will be a kind of temporary gig, but I do like what I'm doing in the meantime.

Speaking of, on a slightly promotional note, if you've got old sneakers lying around your closet, please consider donating them at a drop-off location near you.

Last edited:

gavintonks

Registered
Reaction score
I mentor small business, have a bacteria that eats human sewerage thats is cleaning up sewerage smells, and have projects like managing a client's property rentals and installing touch screens in mall kiosks.

Ink-Pen-Paper

Life Is Full Of Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
what-me.com
I am the information management section for a small federal program which requires importers to file information about the wood or wood products being imported in the the U.S.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I am a virtual assistant to another writer, Shaunta Grimes, which makes sure I have a whole umbrella of virtual tasks to do. :)

I'm a query intern for a literary agent, which means I read a lot of slush.

I'm also a full-time college student. I can't decide whether or not I want to be an English teacher, try to make a full-time gig of acting, or go to law school.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a plant healthcare technician for a tree company. I visit people's homes to treat their trees and shrubs for pests or fertilize them.

darkangel77

Head in the clouds
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a physical therapist in a hospital, contracted here indefinitely. Money's nice, but the 1-hour commute each way isn't...throw in NYC traffic and you could have a nightmare. Luckily the facility I'm at now isn't super busy (especially around the holidays, where people don't like coming in for their sessions), so it leaves me a little time to daydream and brainstorm on slow days.

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
Graduated in June from university with an honours B.A. in History, now in college to be an early childhood educator so I'm in school full-time. I also provide respite care for kids with diverse abilities and referee minor hockey

ChipsAhoyMcCoy

ريانن ✿ &#159
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an undergraduate student full-time (majoring in Political Science and double minoring in Peace & Justice Studies and Middle Eastern & Islamic Studies), but I have 2 part-time jobs writing for a college news site and on the salad bar/subline on campus. I'm studying abroad for the entirety of 2017, though, so the salad bar/subline job is on hold until 2018. Hopefully I'll have landed a job in the Poli Sci department or something by then and won't have to go back to making food, but we'll see.