Random Thoughts

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
If i could smoke and drink and ... and nothing else and not get sick and die, that's what I'd do.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't until you brought it up. :tongue

But no. No. I mustn't. I've made it 8 whole damn years without. I can make it one more afternoon.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I wish people wouldn't treat me like a deviant freak of nature, because I care about things they hate. (even if it's true :wag: )
Lately it seems to be an epidemic. This time of year it's like getting kicked while you're down.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
ha, sorry, Kate. And along those lines, have you noticed that as soon as you stop smoking, everywhere you look you see people smoking? I've quit for long periods of time before. Even recently, have gone for six months without only to pick 'em up again, always think of that John Lennon line, 'and curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get..."

Damn, they say it's a bad addiction, as bad as heroin though I wouldn't know, and the good news is it comes and goes in waves. Just peaked for me, as you might have guessed. I guess I'll ride it out.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish people wouldn't treat me like a deviant freak of nature, because I care about things they hate. (even if it's true :wag: )
Lately it seems to be an epidemic. This time of year it's like getting kicked while you're down.

Like what? Curious.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Like what? Curious.

Like what do they do, or what do I care about?

Spiders. I love spiders. Among other macabre things. Needless to say people are all too happy to share their hatred of them with me.
This week I even got an out of the blue message that amounted to, and I paraphrase here, they weren't blatantly mean about it, "Get rid of your spider avatars, or I'm blocking you". I don't think there was malicious intent behind it, but it still sucked.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
:e2cheer: You can do it, Maze! It'll pass.

I only ever quit initially out of solidarity with spouse-face (then fiance(e)-face). Didn't seem fair to move in with them still smoking when they'd quit 6 months earlier. After a few years of struggling to really commit. I think having each other to lean on helped a lot. And the cravings generally fade in intensity with time. But damn if there aren't days still when they'll slam you out of the blue.

A helpful tip - take note of what trips up cravings. For spouse-face, it's largely a flavor and boredom thing. They switched to black coffee to get that morning fix of bitterness and then little hand toys for the bored fidgets. Mine wasn't so easy - smoking was definitely an emotional thing and cutting out stress is easier said than done. But when you've got a good grasp on what makes you want to light up, it's easier to see it coming and minimize the damage.

Or go to the store and look at the prices. I swear, I see what a pack of what I use to smoke costs now and resolve to never do it again. Holy crow, they're expensive!

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I heard in CA where I live they're supposed to go up another $2 per pack after the first. In NY, where my smoking SIL lives, I live they're like $12 per pack.

The triggers, the triggers. I don't know, really, but one of the reasons I went back this last time is after it had been over 6 mos, I was lying in bed in the middle of the night, wide awake, and the craving hit me like it had been 6 hours! I was actually mad. I jumped out of bed and ran, on foot, well a fast walk, and got a pack. Camel Blue, I can taste 'em now. They're good, btw, not as bitter as Marlboro, I don't think. Then I had a guy tell me, a real instigator come to name it, tell me that I should go to the friggin' American heritage. None of the addictive additives the more commercial brands have. No smell, so he says. Man, I'm about spinnin' at the moment.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Like what do they do, or what do I care about?

Spiders. I love spiders. Among other macabre things. Needless to say people are all too happy to share their hatred of them with me.
This week I even got an out of the blue message that amounted to, and I paraphrase here, they weren't blatantly mean about it, "Get rid of your spider avatars, or I'm blocking you". I don't think there was malicious intent behind it, but it still sucked.

I'm glad you realize it wasn't meant with malice. But didn't we say we were gonna keep it between us?

No, I hear you. You'd love it where I live, we got 'em all. Long-legged ones, short round ones, midnight black ones with the red dot on the belly.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you realize it wasn't meant with malice. But didn't we say we were gonna keep it between us?

No, I hear you. You'd love it where I live, we got 'em all. Long-legged ones, short round ones, midnight black ones with the red dot on the belly.

:)

I empathize with the cig addiction. I'm allergic to those, but I'm a caffeine fiend.
A Pepsi a day habit since I was twelve (and that was a long, long, time ago), and that's what I chase my morning coffee with. Get stressed? More Pepsi.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Really, really, really! A mutha of an addiction. Some people actually want me to be around for awhile, so that's why I'm (trying to do) doing it. It doesn't help that these same people watched me bury my mother a few years ago. Lung cancer, of course.

Another random thought, will CA's new legalization of recreational MJ stand-up to a Trump Administration? There's money in it, there's a lot of money in it, just ask CO if you don't believe me, so he should like that. But I get the sense that he's gonna ruin all the fun. The world would be a better place if fewer people drank and more people smoked weed. I'm on 'your' side whoever you are and whatever your particular poison. Cigs are killing us, as is booze, but MJ?

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I heard in CA where I live they're supposed to go up another $2 per pack after the first. In NY, where my smoking SIL lives, I live they're like $12 per pack.

My mom lives in NY. Her old off-brand cigarettes are $10/pack. So she's decided to roll her own. (I won't tell her new price per pack so as not to encourage anyone.) I've given up on getting her to quit if she's seriously so dedicated as to spend an hour a day fiddling with loose tobacco as the woman who hates anything messy in her home. :ROFL:

Boo instigators. And boo anyone who says whatever brand doesn't have the addictive stuff in it.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I am bouncing off the walls. Gotta get up, gotta get out, gotta get out from behind this desk. Take a walk around the block. SO many convenience stores and liquor stores between here and there and back here again. not gonna do it, not gonna do it (in a Dana Carvey as Geo. Bush the 1st voice.)

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
*keeps thoughts and feelings about cannabis usage to herself, as it is nowhere near legal in her current state of residence* :scared:

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Nice voice. Jumping jack? Uh...job in place. Push ups? Chew gum? I don't know. I'm not a cigarette smoker. And I'm with you on the topic of MJ.

- - - Updated - - -

Dark is good with red wine.
Everything is good with red wine. Haha. I can't drink alcohol anymore, not at all. Makes me violently ill.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Jesus, I gotta do it this time. I quit for ten years once, but the past few I have been off and on and off and on. The sad thing is right now, I haven't eaten yet, after 1 pm here, I'm not overweight, so I could eat whatever I want. If I wanted to take the rest of the day off and eat my way between here and the beach, I could do it. Get drunk down on the Venice Boardwalk, and spend the night in a hotel, no one would really care, as long as I didn't hurt myself or get into some kind of a jam.

But I have no interest in any of that. I'd rather just buy a pack or two of cigarettes and chain smoke all day. I hate myself, of course.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Another random thought- why do we so seldom get what we want? Don't seem fair.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Please get some food in you, Maze. Something that takes a bit of chewing, with a lot of flavor.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Kate, you're pretty sweet, and cool. It it nice to have the support. Hey, this stuff works. I'm not gonna smoke. Maybe I'll grab a bite, not hungry, but so what? The thing I know is it comes and goes. So, go already, you sadistic bastard. My birthday was the other day, so that was the day I stopped. I think it's good to have a marker, you know? Some reason or way to remember, maybe a bit more motivation. If not now, I ask myself, when? It's definitely not gonna get any easier.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. If I recall, a friend's dad became addicted to a certain kind of candy when he was quitting. I want to say TicTacs, but I'm not sure that's right. Every time he had the urge to smoke, he popped in a handful of candy.

I'm not suggesting TicTacs for dinner though. Go eat some real food. :)