• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Request for a Beta-Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChopinsMuse

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Fellow Writer,

I’m ChopinsMuse, and I’m looking for someone to beta-read my YA novel of around 64k words (subject to change).

Requirements:
• Here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zXm80EfeGUB00S-Eo9-YKnZVJ9byhToAL8eoI5fU6Y0/edit?usp=sharing) is what I’m looking for in terms of feedback.
• Must be comfortable reading about serious issues such as mental illness, cutting, rape, alcohol/drugs. However, if I were to rate my story according to the MPAAF (Motion Picture Association of America Films) rating system, it would be a PG-13.
• Must be familiar with Copyright Laws (https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html). (Not pointing fingers, but better safe than sorry)
• It’s not a prerequisite, but I would prefer someone to be familiar with critiquing queries and synopsis’ too. Simply because I am looking to go down the traditional route of publishing.

Please contact me if you’re interested. I’m willing to swap. :)

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, ChopinsMuse! A couple thoughts on your post:

• You've given a content warning, which seems wise considering your subjects. But what's the book's genre? How about a nice blurb to get folks interested? Pitch it to betas just like you'd pitch to your agent (and it's good practice).
  • A knowledge (or lack of knowledge) of copyright law isn't going to affect whether someone steals your work (which is not likely in the first place.) There's a sticky on this issue.
  • It's great you're offering a swap. Too many people ride in here, demand a beta-read, and offer nothing in return. But if you don't get as many offers as you might like, consider signing up in Willing Beta Readers, as well as doing a few reads without swapping. You can make great contacts there.
  • This may just be me, but your feedback sheet, though specific and clear, smacks of a homework assignment (!). I've done a lot of reads here in my short time, and no one has ever given me a sheet like that . Remember that a good beta-read is the gold standard of writerly help--a big investment of time and effort. Because of that, and especially because you are lucky sometimes to find a beta who finishes the book, let alone gives you an exhaustive and useful critique, I think it's better to not start off so specific. You can hash out the details when you connect with someone.

Best of luck finding good readers for your ms.

Status
Not open for further replies.