PDA

View Full Version : Timeless--anyone watching it?

M.S. Wilson
12-13-2016, 11:15 PM
I'd been ignoring Timeless (which airs Mondays on NBC), but after reading a review that made it sound cool I decided to give it a look. It's pretty damn good. They kind of plunge right into things quickly in the first episode, but they reveal the backstory (it's a time-travel show, so you KNOW there's an overarching conspiracy :)) bit by bit over subsequent episodes. The characters are pretty compelling and I like where it's gone so far (10 episodes in).

Dammit, I think I might have another Monday night show to watch along with Supergirl and Gotham :)

Kaylinn57
12-14-2016, 12:06 AM
I watch it and really like it. I haven't seen this weeks episode yet, but I'm caught up to last week. I find it very interesting and I like how every trip back changes something in the present day just a little bit more. The big conspiracy that is obviously lurking in the background should be pretty interesting and I think they've done a good job at pacing that story line and pulling the characters into it. I like all the characters and find their stories very intriguing and I love the dynamic of their strengthening relationships to each other.

Basically, I agree with you, it's good. ;)

(Off topic, but I also really enjoy Supergirl.)

angeliz2k
12-14-2016, 12:32 AM
I watched a few episodes. I have to say I wasn't especially impressed. It's not a very sophisticated take on time travel or history, though I was actually pleasantly surprised with their treatment of the Lincoln assassination. They got a lot of details right, though their treatment of "Do we let him die to protect history?" was a bit weak. I wasn't so pleased with the Alamo episode, where they found an almost magical way out of the Alamo and gave the military men a lesson on strategy. Because, you know, men who had spent their whole lives in 19th-century warfare, and who lived at the Alamo wouldn't have found a way out if there were a way out, and couldn't have figured out a defense if there was one. Instead of being fish out of water, like they really should be in an unfamiliar time and place, they are the saviors with all the answers (partly, I know, that's because they're Our Heroes).

Of course, I've only watched a few episodes, and I don't really know what the overarching arc is because of that. I'm just taking it from a historical fiction writer's perspective.

cornflake
12-14-2016, 12:44 AM
I've been watching it (I'm a couple episodes behind), but by episode 2 or 3 the whole 'let's save Lincoln <insert other good guy here>/kill Hitler <insert bad guy here>!' roundabout got really old.

Like, first, have you two, especially you, science geeky tech genius guy, never seen television, movies or Back to the Future? Ever? Even if you cannot grasp the grandfather paradox on your own, go ask Doc Brown why your idea is stupid. It's also just stupid; the Lincoln one annoyed me the most. 'I'm black, let's save Lincoln!' He'd already done what he did for history in your timeline and, dopey, presuming your ancestors were American black people, why do you think your own history won't be irrevocably changed or erased in a timeline in which Lincoln lives? You seem the most at risk there, for no specific benefit.

Second, stop killing random people, idiots. It's like the trope about how reincarnation believers are always reincarnated from famous or notable historical figures, not like 'Bob the serf.' Killing all the rando Nazi soldiers and etc., etc. redshirts has an effect.

Third, her hilarious knowledge of all history everywhere is half hilarious, half sigh-worthy. I get it, but I think they could go more toward making it a meta joke.

That's kind of my disappointment with the series I think really. It's not terrible (This is Us is terrible), but it could be so much more fun if they let themselves go all out and stopped being so, I dunno, middlebrow earnest about it.

M.S. Wilson
12-14-2016, 04:34 AM
@Cornflake: Yeah, I think I get what you mean, but I assume they're avoiding getting too "accurate" with the vagaries of time travel to appeal to a wider audience; not everyone can handle the convolutions of ontological paradoxes and all that stuff :) What you said about killing random people had occurred to me too ... I kept thinking of that Bradbury story "The Sound of Thunder". I'm surprised nobody's referenced it on the show yet!

My only real complaint is that they're only focusing on American history; there's so much other stuff they could do with World history. I guess the whole Rittenhouse thing is centered in America, but it would be nice if they expanded things a bit ... maybe next season? (As it is, the whole conspiracy thing reminds me of a more narrowly focused version of the Templar conspiracy from Assassin's Creed.)

Noizchild
12-14-2016, 08:33 AM
I am and I like it so far.

Max Vaehling
12-14-2016, 03:29 PM
It's my favorite new show! I agree to most of cornflake's and angeliz2k's points but they don't bother me as much. Just the opposite, I found the Lincoln episode particularly compelling because it gives the protagonists a chance to debate these issues with real stakes at hand. I also like how past sexism and racism keep being adressed as a result of choosing these characters. (Rufus' line in the pilot, 'tere isn't any period in our history that would be awesome for me', paraphrasing here, set the tone for that. Good move.)

Lucy's quest to bring back her sister (or rather, to have other people work on that) isn't quite as compelling to me as it's supposed to be. She lost a sister but not like Wyatt lost his wife who actually died. Lucy isn't saving anybody if she brings her sister back into the timeline, just restoring her own subjective sense of how things should be. She should be taking her healthy mother as a win. I do love how the show raised the stakes right away by changing Lucy's family, though.

All in all, history seems to be a sturdy thing in this show (as in most time travel shows, I guess, because you need to rely on those recourring characters). Small things seem to even themselves out. I'll ride with that for now, as a trade-off for the fun but I agree that they should stop shooting people in the past. It's a lottery. But then again, I'm not a fan of gun fights on TV anyway.

Kaylinn57
12-14-2016, 06:56 PM
It's my favorite new show! I agree to most of cornflake's and angeliz2k's points but they don't bother me as much. Just the opposite, I found the Lincoln episode particularly compelling because it gives the protagonists a chance to debate these issues with real stakes at hand. I also like how past sexism and racism keep being adressed as a result of choosing these characters. (Rufus' line in the pilot, 'tere isn't any period in our history that would be awesome for me', paraphrasing here, set the tone for that. Good move.)

Lucy's quest to bring back her sister (or rather, to have other people work on that) isn't quite as compelling to me as it's supposed to be. She lost a sister but not like Wyatt lost his wife who actually died. Lucy isn't saving anybody if she brings her sister back into the timeline, just restoring her own subjective sense of how things should be. She should be taking her healthy mother as a win. I do love how the show raised the stakes right away by changing Lucy's family, though.

All in all, history seems to be a sturdy thing in this show (as in most time travel shows, I guess, because you need to rely on those recourring characters). Small things seem to even themselves out. I'll ride with that for now, as a trade-off for the fun but I agree that they should stop shooting people in the past. It's a lottery. But then again, I'm not a fan of gun fights on TV anyway.

Bascially all of this. I agree that some of the things that cornflake and angeliz2k pointed out have irked me a little about the show, but overall, I'm enjoying the ride more than the issues irk me.

I'm not sure how I feel about Lucy's quest to bring her sister back. I get that to her, it isn't supposed to be that way but Wyatt feels the same way about his wife. I think maybe Lucy feels she needs to fix it because it was her traveling through time that erased her sister in the first place whereas Wyatt's wife died before they ever started traveling through time so she doesn't feel responsible for it, even if it is tragic. I do find the juxtaposition of those two tragedies interesting.

I also like how they keep coming back to the fact that history sucks for everyone who isn't Wyatt. They handle this aspect a lot better than another time traveling show I currently watch.

And yes, they seriously need to stop shooting random people. Or, if they insist on continuing to do so, it needs to come back and bite them eventually because it's very annoying.

Noizchild
12-15-2016, 09:04 AM
We're getting a full season with this.

Vince524
04-04-2017, 05:19 AM
Just saw this thread. Love it.

Noizchild
04-04-2017, 10:57 PM
I enjoyed the first season. I feel bad for Flynn, though.

Zoe R
04-05-2017, 04:18 AM
I watched the first few episodes (I love time travel stories), but the characters actions were pretty annoying, the don't change anything, I'm sorry I have to change something dilemma lol. Does it get better? Should I keep going?

telford
04-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Yeah, it's okay. Light entertainment that skips along nicely. I don't overthink this one because it's not a science show, it's just a show.

Noizchild
04-06-2017, 06:15 AM
I watched the first few episodes (I love time travel stories), but the characters actions were pretty annoying, the don't change anything, I'm sorry I have to change something dilemma lol. Does it get better? Should I keep going?

It's by the same guy who made Supernatural.