• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a Co-Writer/Creator for Urban Fantasy with Queer & Diverse Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunflowyr

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Rae. I'm looking for a writing partner! I am interested in co-writing a novel with someone. Creating something new with another person has always been the pinnacle of writing fun and success for me. There's nothing like feedback and ideas from someone who is just as invested in the work as you are.

+ Genre: Urban/contemporary fantasy has been inspiring me lately, and I'm also a fan of any clever take on fairytales. Also open to other genres. No mater the genre, I love to write love stories - not a must, but definitely a huge plus.
+ Style/Tone: Whatever we write, may it be character-driven! Strong female characters, queer characters, and characters of color are a must. I tend to lean towards stories with a happy ending.
+ Feedback: We're working toward a common goal. Supportive but critical is the ideal partnership.
+ Credentials: I'm more interested in our compatibility as writers than in any specific credentials. For me, snark and wit are prized traits in a co-writer. Someone who can get excited about characters and their stories, who feels deeply for their characters, is the ideal writing partner.

I'm pretty open to how this partnership looks. Do we have two characters who write letters back and forth? Do we each write a page or a character? Let's figure it out. I have a few plot ideas, but I'm also down to start something new.

Most of the examples of my work right now are fanfiction (yikes, I know). Check me out at ao3: archiveofourown.org/users/nerdylittledude

Last edited:

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
Rae,

Welcome! Props to you for knowing what you want. Just a word of caution: this little corner of the site seems to be where lots of new members end up because they want beta readers/partners. There's nothing wrong with that--lots of us came here for the same reason. But what you're asking for is a pretty serious investment, and though it's great you posted links to your writing (some people don't, which is kind of baffling), you're still an unknown quantity. Poke around a while, find threads that interest you, post a bit and let us get to know you. You can post your writing for critique in Share Your Work, too, once you get to 50 posts (but it's bad form to rush to that total).

That's the general response, but as a personal aside, co-writing as a concept sounds great, but the practicalities are daunting. What happens if you have disagreements over the direction of the book? What if one person decides to publish it solo? There are so many ways it can go wrong. And since it sounds like you haven't finished a novel yet (from what you wrote in your post), I personally would be more hesitant to sign up with you, because it might amount to nothing. Some people would be fine with that, but others are more interested in a tangible product and might not want to experiment.

You might try volunteering to beta read for folks without an expectation of return--it will introduce you to others, and you might find a perfect kindred spirit for your co-writing project that way, especially if you focus on the genres you mentioned. It also might be a better idea to start with collaborating on a short story--less risk, and it sounds like you already have experience with short forms. Then, who knows--maybe that could lead to a longer project.

All this is to say that there's nothing wrong with what you want. Just do think about some of the messy details, and in how you ask for it. Everyone here appreciates a community member who contributes and who doesn't just take for themselves; if you can be that person, everything will work out :).

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.