• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Swap YA Fantasy 70k

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmtruesd

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm back and reading to tackle my first round of beta reads for my current WIP. Before I tell you a little about the manuscript, I'll tell a little about myself and why I think I make a good beta reader :)

First of all, I graduated with an English degree. While in college, I actually worked for a published author in my town as his copyeditor. I even managed to squeak my way into a few acknowledgements, which thrilled my grandparents :). Grammar is my thing. Between my day job as a Language Arts teacher and editing my attorney husband's court documents at night, I get a lot of practice and truly enjoy it. If it's a close read that you need, I'm your girl.

If you're looking for someone to do a basic read of your manuscript, I can do that too! Since I'm an English teacher, I feel I have a good grasp on what young adults enjoy reading. In the end, you tell me what you need from my beta read, and I'll do my best to deliver! I've never not completed a beta read, and some of the stories I've given feedback on have gone on to become published novels.

I would love to swap with anything Young Adult. I don't care about the genre-- but I do enjoy books with a romantic subplot. If you read the summary below and are interested in reading my manuscript, send me a message. We can exchange a couple chapters and see if our manuscripts and beta-styles "click."

A quick summary of my manuscript is below. Some of the subjects in it are fantasy, dance, competition, and romance. Think "So You Think You Can Dance" plus an awesome fantasy world.

For most 16 year-old girls in Elder, being born with the gift of dance is the opportunity of a lifetime: a chance to perform in sold-out shows full of magical effects while traveling the realm and experiencing unimaginable fame and luxury.

But for Cambria Rousseau, her natural born talent is nothing but a tease. It means sneaking out to dance in dingy, underground studios and hiding to avoid arrest by the Enforcement of the Illegal Arts. Because unlike other dancers, Cambria lacks a rich daddy to pay for lessons at the outrageously expensive art academies. And in Elder, unless they’re production-sponsored, the arts are illegal.

When Cambria miraculously lands an audition for the realm’s oldest, most prestigious dance company, she quickly discovers the life she coveted isn’t what she always imagined. Cambria struggles to navigate the realities of competing to become a dancer in Holmes Hollow Productions: bloody feet, harsh instructors, and an entire company of conniving teenage girls, who’d gladly stomp on her back to better reach their own lofty ambitions. Before long, Cambria unveils one terrifying truth: In a world where the arts are worth more than gold, the price for fame might just cost you everything.

My fantasy YA novel, Dancing with Vipers, is a story of wicked ambition and dazzling magic set in a new world. It will appeal to readers who love Cinda Williams Chima and Marie Rutkoski. Dancing with Vipers has series potential and is complete at 77,000 words.

Thanks for reading! :)

yngscrpyhngry

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'm looking for a critique partner to swap manuscripts with as well, and am really interested in your synopsis! I did ballet relatively seriously throughout high school, and love fantasy novels, so the way you've merged the two is definitely something I'd love to read! :)

As for me, I'm a senior in college about to graduate (yikes) with a degree in English, and want to be a teacher. I've beta-read a novel before, and my feedback was really well-received. I've also taken a few creative writing classes where I've had the chance to work on those feedback skills in a workshop.

My novel is contemporary YA (complete with two romantic subplots!). It uses a dual-narrative to tell the story of Elena, who at 17 decided to reach out to her birth mother, and Gwen, who got pregnant in high school. It is the first novel I've completed, but I've gotten some pretty good feedback on it from readers so far (of course, those readers are my friends, and they're all film majors, so now I'm really looking for notes from someone who's worked more closely with fiction writing). Here's a quick summary of both narratives:

In 2013, Elena's dealing with all the usual trappings of teenage life: boy drama, building lasting friendships, and passing biology despite her super weird teacher. Of course, Elena's also thrown in an extra wrench for herself: after years of wondering where she came from, she found and contacted her birth mother -- against the wishes of her parents.

Meanwhile, in 1996, Gwen dreams of finishing high school and taking over her dad's prominent fashion company. She has a lot of ideas to shake things up, but her dad doesn't seem willing to give her the chance. Between working towards that lofty goal and spending time with her new, too-good-to-be-true boyfriend, having a baby is the last thing on her mind. Until she gets pregnant.

Before You / After Me (working title) is complete at 70,000 words.

Let me know if you'd be interested in swapping! Thank you :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.