PDA

View Full Version : Krampus and the devil

scarletpeaches
12-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Probably because Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus anyway. The Romans and the Pagans had it first.

Wayne K
12-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Don't they have pictures of the devil in bibles and churches?

Cyia
12-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Not usually, no. (At least not around here.)

Medievalist
12-25-2010, 11:14 PM

No.

brainstorm77
12-27-2010, 05:48 AM
No.

Ditto this.

Wayne K
12-27-2010, 05:48 PM
I distinctly remember it. I dont mean the ones without pictures. I remember a bbile with illustrations from when I was a kid

The one picture I remember is of Jesus and the Devil in the desert

ETA: My brother remembers it too. He says it wasnt from church, it was from catachism class

PrincessofPersia
12-27-2010, 06:31 PM
My ex girlfriend has an illustrated bible that she's had since she was young, and I definitely remember a picture from the Temptation of Christ depicting Satan being admonished by Jesus.

brainstorm77
12-27-2010, 06:46 PM
I guess it depends on the church. I went to Sunday school as a kid and I never saw the devil portrayed in anything. It was mentioned in lessons but that was it.

ETA: I never heard of Krampus growing up. This was the first year for me.

stormie
12-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Some Catholic bibles, yes (esp. the older ones pre-Vatican II which was the early '60s). Catholic churches--there are stained glass windows and/or statues where the devil is portrayed as a snake being crushed by either St.Michael the Archangel or the Blessed Mother.

Stlight
12-29-2010, 01:52 AM
And the History International Channel did a documentary on the Devil's Bible, which is a 160 lb. illuminated manuscript with a picture of the/a Devil in the center. According to the History International Channel the Swedes took it as spoils of war and it is now in Sweden being studied. What they want to figure out is did one monk copy the whole thing or did more than one monk do it.

Ah, the jobs I never dreamed existed. I coulda been, well something. ;)

ETA - The Devil's Bible is called that because of the large picture of the devil in it. Other than that picture it is the same as others. It isn't dedicated to or about the devil any more than any other bible.

Wayne K
12-29-2010, 06:05 AM
The bible they gave us had the fight between Jesus and the Devil, I remember that because it scared me. It looked like the devil could kick Jesus's ass, and I thought he was going to take over the world

Hey, I was a weird kid :D

But seriously, we had artwork all over our church that was disturbing. Were they purposly trying to scare us?

It worked, but it pushed me away more than anything

Stlight
12-29-2010, 06:09 AM
Wayne, where did you grow up? Or maybe the question is which church?

Wayne K
12-29-2010, 06:10 AM
Roman Catholic. It was in East New York Brooklyn.

Wayne K
12-29-2010, 06:11 AM
I'll tell ya, when I first saw Krampus, it was the first thing I thought of.

I kid around a lot, but I was being serious. That stuff was traumatic

stormie
12-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Yep, Wayne's right. Before Vatican II, Roman Catholic catechism taught God's love for us BUT with equal doses of putting fear in our hearts of the devil. After Vatican II, the church steered away from talk of the devil and fire and brimstone.

So, any RC churches built before the '60s could have had scary images in the stained glass windows, and RC bibles--even children's bibles and Mass books--had those full color images, too.