Bird migration

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
A few minutes ago I was standing in my driveway and saw some birds overhead in typical V migration formation. They were loud, and beautiful, so I watched for a moment. They were joined by a couple of other groups and they formed a large circle, then seemed to get back somewhat in formation and flew south, then they all turned and flew north, but they didn't seem to be too sure of it. Quite a few were stragglers then decided to follow.

I thought the flying north was odd so I waited a couple of minutes to see if they'd return. And they did, flying south, but in a ragged, straggly formation. And then they turned again and flew north, again with some lagging behind and no regular formation.

My bare feet were cold so I went inside. I don't know if the birds turned around to go south again or not. But I hope they know what they're doing. This is the first time I've seen a dissonance like that, with the changing directions and some birds seeming not to want to follow but eventually going with the group.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you knew what a pain in the ass Bob was.... 'yeah, yeah, I'm coming, just let me make sure I winterized my nest...' 'Let's go!' "oh, crap, I forgot to ask Stella if she wanted to come now or go next week with the girls and... can we just go check, it'll take a sec, I swear!' 'Oh, I forgot, she was going worming down at the creek, it's like a minute out of the way!'....

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If various groups joined up, maybe you were witnessing some sort of power struggle? An in-flight fight over pecking order? Or, if they had a lot of young birds, maybe it was a training flight? Teaching the new adults how to stay in formation and stay alert for changes of direction?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Google knows all. ;)

Don't know if it was Canada Geese you saw, but if it was:

Why Do Migrating Canada Geese Sometimes Fly In The “Wrong” Direction?
Also, bear in mind that there are increasingly large numbers of resident Canada Geese across North America. These birds do not migrate at all and so you may see them at any time of year flying in any direction. Their numbers have been growing exponentially since the mid-twentieth century and they have begun to be seen as nuisances in some communities. Read more on the difference between migratory and resident Canada Geese.

Where Did All Those Canada Geese In Town Come From?
Most Canada Geese used to be migratory—those big vees of “honkers” that signal the change in seasons each year as they pass overhead. Though there are still several million migratory Canada Geese, for a period at the end of the nineteenth century they became scarce. (Overhunting, egg collecting, and development of wetlands were among the causes of the decline.) In the 1930s, efforts to restore their numbers led to government-sponsored releases of resident “giant” Canada Geese for hunting. Not long after, as lawns started to proliferate, many of these resident geese flocks began to thrive and expand their range. Though resident and migratory geese may mingle during winter, they retain separate breeding ranges and do not typically interbreed.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're one of many communities to have a permanent task force dealing with resident Canada geese, which have reached and surpassed pest level at lakes, neighborhood ponds, along the Erie Canal, even a few backyard fountains. There are many paved places you literally cannot walk for the droppings. Not that you have to watch your step, but that there is little space large enough for a human foot. It's gross.

My town has a much-copied program that involves egg addling and canine harassment, although the dogs are not allowed to touch the birds. The geese tend to move on to nearly wetlands rather than stay in town, and the addled eggs never hatch, holding the population in check. The idea is to slowly reduce the population, but of course the "goose patrol" doesn't find all the eggs.

Anyway, yes, the resident population still seems to answer Nature's urge to fly in formation, but they don't actually go anywhere, so you see them flying in every direction.

Maryn, who likes them in small enough numbers

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Oregon has resident populations of geese. They go whichever way the water and food are.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal