Status
Not open for further replies.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Do you think Matt Damon would be better as young Bones, young Spock, or young Scotty?

I think Matt Damon could excell as a young Spock. He's already got the flat delivery.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
!#&**#??!?***&&!

I guess they are trying to bury the Star Trek Franchise. Everything that Affleck is in seems to bomb. Yeah, he's cute but I don't think he can act lik ehimself, much less Captain Kirk. ( He might be good as Spock or one of those crewmen who go down to the surface but never come back!)

And NOT Orland Bloom Neither! If we have to go with an A-lister Ummmmm even Brad Pitt would be better than...
OMG I'm gonna puke!!!........

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm down with Affleck. It's not like Shatner could act anyway...

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I think we need Stiffler from American Pie. He has such an awkward delivery style, and if he gained a little weight, and had some make-up guys on him... I think he'd make a plausible young Shatner.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Jcomp said:
I'm down with Affleck. It's not like Shatner could act anyway...

Oddly enough, Shatner was a coup when they got him for Star Trek. He was a hot commodity in live theater as I understand it.

badducky said:
and if he gained a little weight, and had some make-up guys on him... I think he'd make a plausible young Shatner.

Gain a little... wait. Shatner wasn't fat when he was Kirk, not until he was older!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
People, people. *puts on his Spock ears* The correct term is "expendable crewman." OK? OK. :Thumbs:
I thought the correct term is "Red shirt." ;)

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I still remember the fine day when Shatner bought the farm at the hands of the guy from Clockwork Orange. Thank you Malcolm.

The Burgess fan inside of me smiled at that one.

Now, if only Sigourney Weaver can off Picard and Sisco. Lieutenant Ripley was tougher than both of them put together, and she had a few bigger guns.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I love Star Trek and do not want to see Ben Affliction anywhere near the franchise. Unless, of course, he gets killed or assimilated by the Borg.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
badducky said:
I still remember the fine day when Shatner bought the farm at the hands of the guy from Clockwork Orange. Thank you Malcolm.

Ah yes, truly a fine moment in Trek history. I admit it, I never like Shatner or Kirk.

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
I think I"m going to be sick.

I am going to be sick. I grew up on Star Trek and Star Trek reruns! How dare they put Ben Affleck there instead...

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
robeiae said:
That's what they wear. The correct term is 'security.'

Well....sort of. In the fandom, those guys (or gals) are known as Red Shirts.

Like in Galaxy Quest. When Guy was afraid he was going to get killed. Yeah, he was supposed to be a Red Shirt. Instead he turned out to be "the plucky comic relief."

Still, I dunno about Ben Affleck as a young Kirk - heck, I don't know about them dabbling with young Kirk at all. Not after the fiasco known as Enterprise. Okay, it really ticks me off when they don't stick with the correct continuity. I'm just imagining how much they can screw up by doing a show about young Kirk. And yeah, Kirk was young in the original - he was the youngest Star Fleet Captain ever. :)

I was watching some episodes of the original the other day, and laughing at the cheese factor - and YET, still, the characters captured me. Guess I've always been a character-driven person.

Long live the Trek franchise! :) I've got a bookshelf full of old ST:TOS books (which I started collecting as a kid) here in my office, and my ST action figures, which I rescued from the garbage when my mother threw them away on me, also are on that shelf. <G> I'm a ST geek. I admit it. I do not now, nor have I ever, owned a pair of pointed ears, however. <G>

Susan G.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Ben Affleck as Kirk. I can't gag that long and hard... someone please hold me.

p.s. if they really go with Affleck, the franchise deserves to die.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
maestrowork said:
p.s. if they really go with Affleck, the franchise deserves to die.

I hate to say it, but if TPTB decide to do a young Kirk and Spock story, then the franchise deserves to die.

Enterprise failed as a series because it had a "been there/done that" feeling to it. We knew that one day the warp core would use dilithium crystals and be able to go Warp 9. We knew that phase pistols would become phasers and have multiple setttings. We knew that transporters would become standard use, polarized hull plating would become shields, and Klingons would hate us for a long, long time.

They tried hard, but it's difficult to do a successful prequel when the future is far more interesting. I loved the cast and I loved the show, but I think a series that continued to expand the universe into the future would have been more successful.

I've been a Trek fan for years, but I honestly don't give a rip about what Kirk did in his Academy days. If they decided to go this route, they best thing they could do is cast unknown actors in the roles.

EmoteSoapbox.gif

Although I suppose my dander is up on this subject because of the recent knews that Ron Moore is preparing a prequel to his update of Battlestar Galactica.
emoteranting.gif
Who wants to watch a series about people who will be dead and a planet that will be a wasteland in fifty years?

Status
Not open for further replies.