Request for submission history

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
I just received a request from an agent for the full manuscript after my initial query (woo-hoo!:hooray:). In addition, the agent requested a short bio and a submission history. The bio I am not so worried about, but I am not quite sure about the submission history. The exact wording is this: "include a submission history for the work, if applicable (of publishers who have seen or who are currently considering it)." I have not submitted to other publishers, but I have sent queries to other agents, including one rejection. Should I list the agencies and/or the agents who I have queried?

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
No. It seems very clear to me they mean publishers who've seen it (thus taking them off the table for the agent's sub-list). I'd just say "The manuscript has not been submitted to any publishers." and leave it at that. Agents should (and do) expect you've queried their peers.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I agree with the above. It's much easier for an agent to submit a project if they don't have to take into consideration a list of publishers you've already sent the project to. The fact that you have not submitted to any publishers yet is a good thing in this situation.

Last edited:

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Elaine and Julianne. Your explanations make a lot of sense.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Spot on. Agents want to know that they're receiving a manuscript without a history. That's all this is about.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a time limit on submission history? Let's say the manuscript was submitted to a few places 8-10 years ago and has been greatly revised since then?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You'd probably be ok to ignore that submission history, but I would mention it just in case. Some people spend a long time in their jobs and might remember your book: if your agent didn't know about its previous history, it would break their trust in you.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I am not quite sure about the submission history. The exact wording is this: "include a submission history for the work, if applicable (of publishers who have seen or who are currently considering it)." I have not submitted to other publishers,

Did you actually read this statement carefully? It plainly says "of publishers who have seen or who are currently considering it." And you plainly state that you haven't sent it to any publishers.

So, just tell 'em you haven't sent it to any publishers.

caw