Stop me from murdering my neighbour's cat

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
There's a giant orange moggy that has apparently decided that my courtyard garden is its personal toilet. Summer's on it's way, and there's nothing like the smell of hot, baking cat crap in the afternoon to make your eyes water. I'd like to try something less mean than the old bucket-of-water deterrent if I can. Some people say lemon peel added to the mulch is the best, others ammonia, others chili powder. Anyone have any success keeping cats out of garden beds?

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Don't murder the neighbors cat! Don't murder the neighbor's cat!

*makes creepy mind-power motions like the dude in Life Is Beautiful*

I have never found a way to get cats to stop pooping in my yard, but someone told me that chili powder is bad because it can get inhaled and burn their nasal passages, so I thought I'd pass that bit along.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't murder the poor thing, it's not the cat's fault.

My neighbor's cat was pooping on my roof. So I trapped it in a raccoon trap and took it to their house and told them I trapped it on my roof and they needed to deal with it. I do believe they set up some kind of litter box outside in their yard (or maybe it was the porch) and taught the cat to use it. The cat never returned to my roof.

Or maybe the trauma of spending a couple hours in the raccoon trap convinced it not to return.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
What kind of relationship do you have with your neighbor? Can you ask them to keep their cat inside more, or at least to provide him with a litter box so Mr. Cat maybe won't feel such a need to use your yard in this fashion? Is the cat neutered? Neutered male cats tend to stick closer to home and not to be as into territorial marking, though once a potty habit is established, it's harder to break.

There are sprays and crystals you can buy that are repellents for cats and dogs. I live in the US, so the brands might be different on your side of the pond (I assume you're in the UK, since you called the cat a "moggy.")

Also, sprinklers with motion detectors that hook up to a hose and turn on when a critter breaks the beam. Point it in a direction where you won't trigger it, though. And the sprinkler things are not so great in drought-stricken areas, because the junction between the hose and the sprinkler leaks a bit. I tried one to stop my dogs from fence fighting with a neighbor dog, but unfortunately, it turned that corner of the yard into a muddy mess (and even without a drought, this is an issue with dogs tracking it everywhere). There might be better brands. Mine was called "Scarecrow."

I believe there are speakers that play high-frequency sounds that repel animals (the sounds are out of the range of human hearing). Someone in our neighborhood had a rookery tree, where egrets were nesting en masse each spring and summer. The birds were lovely, but they were also messy, noisy and smelly, and the homeowner and their neighbors got tired of guano, fish, and dead baby birds littering their yards and parked cars. When the person mounted one of those speakers in their tree, the birds never returned. I imagine it might work to keep cats out of the yard too, though if you have dogs or cats of your own, or enjoy watching birds and wildlife in your yard, the sound might bug them.

Here's a list of some "cat repellent" products.

There may be some good advice here too:

http://www.alleycat.org/resources/how-to-live-with-cats-in-your-neighborhood/

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
I also suggest you do not use anything with ammonia -- that will encourage the cat to return and claim its territory.

You might find putting down chili, or wasabi, or anything spicy and pungent would work -- cats are curious about the smell, but usually sneeze and avoid it after one sniff.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Mothballs.

Mind you, they also reek, but probably less than baking cat poop.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of relationship do you have with your neighbor? Can you ask them to keep their cat inside more, or at least to provide him with a litter box so Mr. Cat maybe won't feel such a need to use your yard in this fashion? Is the cat neutered? Neutered male cats tend to stick closer to home and not to be as into territorial marking, though once a potty habit is established, it's harder to break.

Unfortunately, I don't know who owns it. I live in a complex of five villas around a common driveway, and I've never seen anyone acknowledge the cat. It might not actually live in any of the houses.

It seems ammonia is out (and I'd worry about the plants as well). Chili powder at high concentrations might be bad for the cat's lungs, but wouldn't you only need to use a tiny bit to get the message? Lemon seems the kindest.

I do like the python idea.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a giant orange moggy that has apparently decided that my courtyard garden is its personal toilet. Summer's on it's way, and there's nothing like the smell of hot, baking cat crap in the afternoon to make your eyes water. I'd like to try something less mean than the old bucket-of-water deterrent if I can. Some people say lemon peel added to the mulch is the best, others ammonia, others chili powder. Anyone have any success keeping cats out of garden beds?
Get a bush turkey. That'll fix it.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
The moth balls worked for me but I used a lot. I sandwiched them between mulch layers to make the paths in a raised bed garden. I put them down thick but never had trouble with cats, even my own two. How about a super soaker water gun? I use it on my own cats to discourage them from hanging out in my flower beds and on my car hood--kind of fun but only outdoors. --s6

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Chili powder at high concentrations might be bad for the cat's lungs, but wouldn't you only need to use a tiny bit to get the message? Lemon seems the kindest.

You don't need much chili.

But, yes, lemon is good for everyone and everything if you're still worried about the chili.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Check your local ordinances concerning at-large/off-leash/unsupervised pets. You may have the law on your side. Many people assume that it’s only dogs that fall under such leash-law ordinances, but when in reality, it applies to “all pets.” (Be it a dog, cat, hamster, chicken, pony, dragon, or goat, you have the right to NOT have someone else's pet on your property.)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Check your local ordinances concerning at-large/off-leash/unsupervised pets. You may have the law on your side. Many people assume that it’s only dogs that fall under such leash-law ordinances, but when in reality, it applies to “all pets.” (Be it a dog, cat, hamster, chicken, pony, dragon, or goat, you have the right to NOT have someone else's pet on your property.)

I looked into this and didn't find anything that said leash laws apply to cats.
D. Why Aren’t Cats Required to be Leashed or Collared?
The answer to this question may have a multitude of answers. Again, historically cats roamed agricultural areas as a means of pest control. Thus, leashing the cat would impair its ability to catch rodents. Many cat owners worry about strangulation if cats were required to wear collars. Some groups contend that restricting a cat to a collar or indoors goes against its basic instinctual nature. (See, The Feline Resistance at http://www.felineresistance.org for example). Even communities that desire to impound at large cats under state law are hampered by the lack of state requirements to restrict cats to leashes. In Mississippi, an attorney general opinion specifically provides that the county authority to regulate dogs at large does not apply to cats. Op.Attny.Gen. No. 2002-0259. It should be noted that cat owners now have new and improved leashes and harnesses that allow cats to venture safely outdoors. In any event, the answer to this question depends in most part on which cat owner you ask.

But I did find something that said you were within your rights to trap a cat that was on your property. Unfortunately if you don't know who owns the cat, that won't be much help.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
If you trap the cat, you could then photograph it in the cage, take it to the local animal shelter, and put up posters of the cat in the trap telling the owner where to find their animal.

The inconvenience of having to go rescue their cat from a shelter, as well as the knowledge that one of their neighbours is willing to get hard-core about removing the animal, might spur them to be more careful about the matter.

*sigh* My mother-in-law is a lovely person, but she does let her cat out to do his business so she doesn't have to clean the litter box as often. I sincerely hope the cat does his pooping under the deck, as she claims he does.