Need a toxic fume

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I'm arriving at a point in my sci-fi WIP where my protagonists are guests at a compound, but but the host decides to murder them by pumping toxic fumes into their bedroom while they are sleeping. I need it to be slow-acting enough for the heroes to realise what's going on, and break out.

Now, the host didn't plan on having to resort to this, so he doesn't have actual chemical warfare agents on hand. He IS in charge of some industry (I can arrange the details of the exact nature of it to fit the story), so maybe some industrial side effect would work.

Any suggestions?

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, carbon monoxide was my first thought too, but as I said I need something the characters can figure out is being pumped in. Does anyone know about the symptoms of the fumes mentioned so far?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to say bleach and ammonia mixed. I accidentally made myself very woozy with this combination once, long ago.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Bleach and ammonia are quite effective. When mixed they form chloramine gas, and I believe that was the form of chlorine that was used during WW I.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And also in the bathroom of my old house, when we found so much mold behind the tub surround!

Maryn, who would have looked cute in a gas mask (and been safer, too)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, carbon monoxide was my first thought too, but as I said I need something the characters can figure out is being pumped in. Does anyone know about the symptoms of the fumes mentioned so far?

From the MayoClinic: "Dull headache. Weakness. Dizziness. Nausea or vomiting. Shortness of breath. Confusion."

- - - Updated - - -

Google "symptoms of CO poisoning"--I think one of the main signs is that people turn very red-faced.

By the time you are bright red you are in serious trouble. It's more like a sign in a cadaver.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
For chloramine Chlorine bleach and ammonia"
http://www.vce.org/chloraminesymptoms.html
Respiratory Symptoms
• sinus and nasal congestion, sneezing
• coughing and choking, wheezing
• dry throat, swollen throat, difficulty swallowing
• asthma-like symptoms, shortness of breath
• dry mouth, bad breath, furry-coating on tongue

Skin Symptoms
• rashes and red burning skin, intense itching
• dry, chapping, flaking, cracking skin, bleeding
• dry, itchy scalp, dandruff

Eye Symptoms
• dry, stinging, or burning eyes
• tearing, red eyes
• bleary eyes
• blurry vision

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Google "symptoms of CO poisoning"--I think one of the main signs is that people turn very red-faced.

It is a disturbingly common tragedy that people are overcome in their sleep by CO poisoning. No symptoms will ever be noticed. It has no odor, and that's why CO detectors are widely used in houses.

caw

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for carbon monoxide--especially if the perpetrator is smart enough to include plausible deniability if the gas is discovered. Accidental CO poisoning is commonplace; any insufficiently vented and/or malfunctioning combustion heater can be held to blame. What does your story need?

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
It is a disturbingly common tragedy that people are overcome in their sleep by CO poisoning. No symptoms will ever be noticed. It has no odor, and that's why CO detectors are widely used in houses.

This is why I'm a bit hesitant to use CO. I do need the characters to detect trouble, after all.

Another vote for carbon monoxide--especially if the perpetrator is smart enough to include plausible deniability if the gas is discovered. Accidental CO poisoning is commonplace; any insufficiently vented and/or malfunctioning combustion heater can be held to blame. What does your story need?

Well, his plan is to dispose of the bodies and deny ever having seen the victims.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
My vote's for CO poisoning - a woman I work with lost both parents to it. There was a power outage, the father turned on the emergency gasoline generator in the basement (poorly ventilated), went down to check on it, never came back up. The mother went down to check on him (so they figured later) and also never came back up.

But, if the plan is to kill everyone in their sleep, maybe one of your characters is a light sleeper, or stays awake for some reason, maybe two of them are talking, and feels the onset of symptoms, a) he's heard about CO poisoning, or had some prior experience of it, b) if there's a second person, they can realise that they both have the same symptoms, and figure something's up.
They wake the rest just in time.

Last edited:

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
This is why I'm a bit hesitant to use CO. I do need the characters to detect trouble, after all.

Since it's sci-fi, couldn't one of your characters have their gear detect the carbon monoxide and wake them with an alarm? Especially if they'd been in the industrial area and forgot to deactivate it after. (Or they could just have a nifty gas mask like Starlord....)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
One of the major problems with toxic fumes a person would notice, is that, by the time it's noticed, you're probable dead. A possibility might be hydrogen sulfide (H2S), which, in very small concentrations, gives the horrid odor of rotten eggs. But, in any dangerous concentration, the first thing it does is kill the olfactory nerves, so you smell nothing. Then you die, very quickly. It is considerably more toxic than hydrogen cyanide, and is a major concern for oilfield drillers, where it can be encountered in underground penetrations. To the point that, in many oilfield operations, they issue gas masks, and men can't wear facial hair, because the gas masks won't seat properly if you have a beard. Natural emissions of hydrogen sulfide have killed buffalo and other animals in Yellowstone Park, and humans in other volcanically-active areas like Iceland.

caw

Masterpick

Oh, just musing...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your characters' pasts were, but if they had any sort of experience with hypoxia training/ experience, they'd be able to spot CO poisoning with their own individual symptoms. Military personnel have this, some EMTs, skydivers, various occupations here and there. The problem is that you have to have one of the characters wake up and notice their own symptoms of hypoxia, then react. Recognizing those symptoms saved my life (I argue) while running an engine dyno in a poorly ventilated garage.

The other thought I had was already said: bleach and ammonia, but I don't know as much about 'spotting' that. Hope this helps!

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
If it makes sense, you could always have a Plucky Animal Sidekick detect the CO emission and save the humans' lives.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your characters' pasts were, but if they had any sort of experience with hypoxia training/ experience, they'd be able to spot CO poisoning with their own individual symptoms. Military personnel have this, some EMTs, skydivers, various occupations here and there.

Hmm. Well, they are space travellers, so it would make sense for something like that to be a part of basic safety training.

Can someone clue me in on circa how long it takes for CO buildup to become life-threatening?

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
My cleaning-nut mother used to mix Ajax and Clorox. I walked into the bathroom one day and there was a white cloud rising from the throne. I covered my mouth, flushed, and opened the window. Told her about it too and she never did it again.

Masterpick

Oh, just musing...
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Well, they are space travellers, so it would make sense for something like that to be a part of basic safety training.

Can someone clue me in on circa how long it takes for CO buildup to become life-threatening?

Depends on how much CO there is in the air. That might make writing the scene a bit easier for you.