PDA

View Full Version : Must watch movies?

youngcaptainL
11-26-2016, 04:09 PM
Can you guys name me some of your favorite, absolute must watch before you die movies? Been looking to watch some classics I have not seen before.

Doesn't really matter the genre either, to be honest.

Helix
11-26-2016, 05:41 PM
I wouldn't class them as before you die movies, but some of my faves (in no particular order) are Long Good Friday, Blade Runner, Local Hero, Mad Max (the undubbed version), This is Spinal Tap, Withnail and I, Alien, Grosse Pointe Blank, The Castle, Goodfellas. I do not have highbrow tastes.

ETA: And Brazil.

Lavern08
11-26-2016, 05:53 PM
The Godfather Trilogy
The Color Purple
The Notebook
Lady Sings the Blues

... Just a couple of my all-time favorites - They're very different genres, but hey, I lurved 'em. :Shrug:

Teinz
11-26-2016, 06:07 PM
I'll ad "The Usual Suspects".

Brightdreamer
11-26-2016, 09:46 PM
Not necessarily classics, but some faves/pick-me-ups/things-that-really-left-a-major-impression, in no order and not all-inclusive (a.k.a. random):

The original Star Wars trilogy (New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi)

Avatar (big screen, 3D if possible)

Clue

The Lion King

How to Train Your Dragon (1 and 2, though the first has the more impressive soundtrack)

Indiana Jones 1 and 3

Jurassic Park

The Iron Giant

The Sound of Music

Kubo and the Two Strings

Labyrinth

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

ajaye
11-27-2016, 02:25 AM
Some of my favourite black and white classics: To Kill A Mockingbird, Goodbye Mr Chips, Some Like It Hot, Inherit The Wind, 12 Angry Men, The Apartment, Born Yesterday, To Sir With Love, and anything with Cary Grant :) .

Lavern08
11-27-2016, 02:36 AM
Some of my favourite black and white classics: To Kill A Mockingbird, To Sir With Love, and anything with Cary Grant.
Ahhhh, yes, all of the above!

Maze Runner
11-27-2016, 02:44 AM
So many it's too many, but... one I watched again last night, Heat of the Night is one for me. Others off the top of my head, Godfathers I and II, but not three, sorry, Laverne. On the Waterfront. Ajay mentioned Cary Grant, None but the Lonely Heart, I also really like Born Yesterday, but the original with Broderick Crawford, and not Sean Penn. But Sean Penn is great, Mystic River! Bogie: Treasure of the Sierra Madre and Petrified Forest. Cagney: Angels with Dirty Faces and The Roaring 20s.

ElaineA
11-27-2016, 03:17 AM
I won't call them must-watch because that's in the eye of the beholder, but there are movies I encouraged my kids to watch (when age appropriate), by which I meant I really thought they were worth watching, and they were glad they did: The Truman Show, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Pulp Fiction, The Godfather, and almost every Cohn Brothers movie, especially Fargo and O Brother Where Art Thou. I'll also add Wall-e, Up, and Dodgeball.

Maze Runner
11-27-2016, 03:35 AM
Ha, I misspoke re Born Yesterday. There's been no remake to my knowledge. I was thinking of All the King's Men, the original, which also starred Broderick Crawford. They remade that movie with Sean Penn in Crawford's role, also Jude Law. Had it's moments, but for me, nothing like the original. Sorry about that.

Ha, wrong again. Forget I said anything, OP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_Yesterday_(1993_film)

Noizchild
11-27-2016, 06:12 AM
Godfather (Only the first one for me.)
Tokyo Tribe
Dreams
V/H/S and V/H/S 2
Ju-On saga
Kairo
Tag

More will come soon.

Jade Rothwell
11-27-2016, 06:25 AM
My favourite classic movies: Most films by Hitchcock (especially Psycho), Citizen Kane, and Modern Times.
My favourite non-classic movies: Scott Pilgrim, You've Got Mail

Chris P
11-27-2016, 06:41 AM
Ah, so many! (Artistic merit or faithfulness to the books be damned! I liked these flicks)

Star Wars, Close Encounters, Grease, The Best Days of our Lives (a very, very underrated 1946 classic), Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Kitchen Stories (Norweigan but subtitled in English), Rocky (all of them, except maybe III, IV and V), Good Will Hunting, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Dogma, LA Confidential, Frankenstein (plus Bride of and Son of), Wings (1927), Independence Day, Men in Black, Man in the Iron Mask, Pirates of the Caribbean series, Love Actually, Sixth Sense, Blair Witch Project, The Exorcist, Cheech and Chong's Next Movie, The Bourne movies (except Legacy).

I know I'm leaving out dozens that I would watch again.

be frank
11-27-2016, 06:58 AM
How has no one yet mentioned Groundhog Day or Galaxy Quest??

I'll second the Grosse Pointe Blank suggestion, as well as 12 Angry Men.

And for something completely left field, Buster Keaton's The General. Amazing stunts and the humour still holds up.

Oh, and if you're not averse to musicals, Singin' in the Rain. See above re: stunts and humour. :)

Helix
11-27-2016, 07:08 AM
Shaun of the Dead. Watch it three times: first for the entertainment, then for the direction, and finally for the dialogue.

Also Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Great fun and it's quite an exercise to unpick the strands to see how the story works.

ETA: Being John Malkovich -- also for story structure and what fun a writer can have when they're in control of their material.

Roxxsmom
11-27-2016, 07:53 AM
Hmm. In no particular order:

Blade Runner, Brazil, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, This is Spinal Tap, Spirited Away, Alien 2 (I have to stop after that one, as the others are real downers), District 9, Persepolis, The Color Purple, Citizen Kane, Inside Out, Sixth Sense, Star Trek II and IV, Pink Floyd The Wall.

My tastes are all over the place. Not many classics on this list, but eh, most people already know about those and have opinions about them.

Brightdreamer
11-27-2016, 07:55 AM
How has no one yet mentioned Groundhog Day or Galaxy Quest??

I'll second the Grosse Pointe Blank suggestion, as well as 12 Angry Men.

And for something completely left field, Buster Keaton's The General. Amazing stunts and the humour still holds up.

Oh, and if you're not averse to musicals, Singin' in the Rain. See above re: stunts and humour. :)

Seconding Groundhog Day and The General, and GQ (though that may be funniest to SF fans.) (Also Spirited Away and Wall-E, which others have mentioned.)

And, to my earlier post, I'll add Man With Two Brains, Blazing Saddles, and Young Frankenstein. (Mel Brooks's High Anxiety and Silent Movie are also classic comedies worth seeing.)

blacbird
11-27-2016, 08:23 AM
I could, of course, list a lot of movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark, which are certainly worth watching, but pretty much everybody has already watched them. So I'll go for some not everybody will have seen"\:

Chinatown
Slingblade
The Man Who Would Be King
Being There
Blood Simple (an early Cohen Bros. flick with a diabolically brilliant plot)
Top Secret (an early Zuckerman Bros. flick, completely silly, and hilariously so)
Nebraska
Posse (a 1960ish Western starring Kirk Douglas in a very unexpected anti-hero role)
There Was a Crooked Man (another Western about which the same thing can be said, plus it has Henry Fonda in it)
A Boy and His Dog
The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith
Breaker Morant
The Milagro Beanfield War
What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

caw

Marissa D
11-27-2016, 08:47 AM
Time Bandits and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (love me some Terry Gilliam); The Thief and the Cobbler (the animation blows Disney's Aladdin away, even with Robin Williams), Apollo 13; High Noon; The Philadelphia Story; Bringing Up Baby (amazing acting from the supporting cast); Much Ado About Nothing (Kenneth Branagh's version), Harvey, Arsenic and Old Lace, Bladerunner

ajaye
11-27-2016, 08:53 AM
Nice to see a couple of Aussie movies make the list blac :) I'll add The Castle.

Oh, and the Canadian film C.R.A.Z.Y.

The Sting and All The Presidents Men.

It's sorta hard to stop isn't it.

WriterDude
11-27-2016, 10:42 PM
Time Bandits - definitely

Hanger 18
Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure
Morons from Outer Space
Dark Star
Back to the Future trilogy

Eta: This Quiet Earth

Diana Hignutt
11-27-2016, 11:22 PM
Children of Men
Hero
Primer
Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind
Upstream Color
Apocalypse Now
Ex Machina
Inception
Let the Right One In
The Man Who Planted Trees
Arrival

Lavern08
11-28-2016, 12:18 AM
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Roxxsmom
11-28-2016, 01:37 AM
Speaking of Australian movies, I really liked Red Dog. I'm biased, because the kelpie they used for the title role looks a bit like my Wiley, but I think they did a good job of bringing this American viewer into the setting and into the mindset of the characters.

Brightdreamer
11-28-2016, 02:10 AM
A few more:

Stand By Me

Pacific Rim (one of the ultimate, kick-the-brain-aside-and-watch-giant-robots-punch-alien-monsters experiences)

The Incredibles

The Breakfast Club (encapsulates an age and an era)

Harry Potter (about 1 - 3; after that, the condensation from the longer books really shows bad)

Metropolis (I have a weakness for the 1980's-soundtrack one, but the movie itself is very iconic, ahead of its time, and definitely a must-see... though be sure to get an official restored version. Some of the DVDs out there are just terrible.)

South Park (brilliantly subversive movie)

Noizchild
11-28-2016, 06:02 AM
I like some of these movie choices.

Maze Runner
11-28-2016, 04:08 PM
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

I love this one.

autumnleaf
11-28-2016, 04:18 PM
I think of "must-watch" movies as those that are always mentioned in popular culture, so you end up missing the references if you haven't seen them.

In no particular order:
- Casablanca
- The Godfather I and II
- The Star Wars original trilogy
- The Matrix (first film only)
- It's a Wonderful Life
- Alien and Aliens
- Roman Holiday
- Citizen Kane (which I haven't actually seen yet but keep meaning to!)
- The Wizard of Oz
- The Shawshank Redemption
- The Shining
- 12 Angry Men
- Some Like it Hot
- E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
- Raiders of the Lost Ark

Jade Rothwell
11-29-2016, 01:40 AM
I think of "must-watch" movies as those that are always mentioned in popular culture, so you end up missing the references if you haven't seen them.

I agree with that definition :) Like, there are plenty of good movies out there, but for it to be a must-watch it should be culturally impactful. (Although my non-classic favourites list definitely doesn't fall into that category haha)

Brightdreamer
11-29-2016, 04:33 AM

Would that include Plan 9 from Outer Space (popular picked-on Ed Wood "classic" - though, TBH, I have actually seen more insensible wastes of celluloid)? ;)

Terminator is still a classic and frequently referenced, though not my cup of cocoa enough to make my personal list.

2001... rather arty for my tastes, but distinctive.

Oh, and to any list, one must add Airplane! (Surely someone else must've listed it by now? ... *come on, AW, don't leave that one hangin'*... ;) )

Frankie007
11-29-2016, 06:57 PM
Forrest Gump
Monty Python/Holy Grail (love that Lego version)
Sling Blade (anything with Lucas Black, really)
Stand by Me
Sandlot
the Goonies

maybe a lot of the movies from the 80s! great great great era of movies!

nighttimer
11-29-2016, 09:03 PM
These are stop what you're doing and watch this.

The Godfather I & II
Saving Private Ryan
Alien & Aliens
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The Wild Bunch
The Sting
Chinatown
Malcolm X
The Deer Hunter
The Matrix
The Verdict
Unforgiven
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
Devil In A Blue Dress
Apocalypse Now
Raging Bull
Good Fellas
Fight Club
Do the Right Thing
Inception
City of God
Children of Men
Patton
Romeo Is Bleeding
The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Dark Knight
North By Northwest

That's a good start...:hooray:

Teinz
11-30-2016, 01:04 AM
I think we haven't mentioned:

Akira

Guardians of the Galaxy.

Helix Denby
11-30-2016, 09:20 PM
Don Hertzfeldt's It's Such a Beautiful Day.

Maze Runner
11-30-2016, 09:52 PM
A couple that (for better or worse) are part of mainstream Americana: Gone With the Wind, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, From Here to Eternity, The Shining, Rocky, Rambo, Dirty Harry, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Miracle on 34th Street. Others that probably aren't but should be: A Streetcar Named Desire, State of Grace, The Sweet Smell of Success, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Pope of Greenwich Village, Body Heat, Unforgiven, Maltese Falcon, Love Me or Leave Me, Save The Tiger, Detective Story...

Diana Hignutt
11-30-2016, 10:31 PM
Life of Pi
Melancholia
The African Queen
Key Largo
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Rosemary's Baby
Jackie Brown
The Magnificent Seven

Myrealana
11-30-2016, 10:49 PM
We've been educating our 14-year-old son in movie-lore by showing him our "must watch" movies.

The Wizard of Oz
Casablanca
Buckaroo Banzai, Beyond the 8th Dimension
The Princess Bride
Arsenic and Old Lace
Rashomon
Willow
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
It's a Wonderful Life

Those are a few.

Layla Nahar
11-30-2016, 10:55 PM
The Tale of Zatoichi (if you like a bromance)(and swords)

Samurai Vendetta if you like a love story (and swords). (The real title of this is 'Pale Cherry Blossoms' and it's a love-story that is tangential to the story of the revenge of the Ako ronin (aka 47 Ronin, aka Chushingura)

The 1965 version and the 1938 version of 'Tange Sazen and the 1-million Ryo Pot'.

The 1938 version is about a bunch of people being chill... (only one swordfight)

The 1965 version - if you like action, and heros and bad guys and (you guessed it, right? swordfights - this movie)

In the case of these last two, it's also really interesting to see 1) how much film storytelling changed in those 30 years and 2) how different a story you can get from the same fundamental conflicts.