Star Wars question over here!

youngcaptainL

Registered
Reaction score
What's up everyone...

So I have seen some of the Star Wars movies but never got into the series too much. I am trying to give it another go.

I was asking some of my friend's and they do not seem to agree on the correct order for me to watch it on.

One friend told me to watch Star Wars 4, 5, 6, then 1, 2, 3, then the new movies that have recently come out. Another friend told me 1, 2, 3, then 4, 5, 6 (and the new movies like Rogue One mixed somewhere in between, I don't remember where)...

What is the correct order for me to watch Star Wars in?

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter. IV, V, and VI are the original movies, while I, II, and III are a prequel trilogy and the latest VII is the start of a new sequel trilogy. You don't need to watch I-III to understand IV-VI, so it's entirely up to preference. And Rogue One takes place in-between the two trilogies, according to internet.

I also highly recommend experiencing things that interest you, regardless of the vitriol some people have for those things.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Watching 1 2 3 first then 4 5 6 will give you the story as it takes place, but because 4 5 6 were filmed first, most of the reason I'm interested in 1 2 3 is because I know what happens in 4 5 6. I'm not sure how I'd feel if I'd seen 1 2 3 first.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I suppose this is what Lily said, but I'll say it plainer-er... Viewing order 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7 recreates the order in which the movies were released. Obviously, watching 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 puts the movies in narrative/chronological order.

Personally, even tho you didn't ask for opinions, I'd watch Episode 4 first. It was the first movie released and I think watching 1, 2, 3 (the prequels) prior to watching 4 would undercut a great deal of the emotional impact. I agree relatively speaking 1, 2, and 3 were subpar, but 1 has some fun bits and 3 has Christopher Lee on a flying bicycle riding to a theme lifted from the Wizard of Oz (so, y'know, worth a glance).

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
and 3 has Christopher Lee on a flying bicycle riding to a theme lifted from the Wizard of Oz (so, y'know, worth a glance).

Wha--? Is this on Youtube?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Due to my age, I watched them in the theater as they came out, so 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, and I'll be watching Rogue One when it comes out.

But I've also watched them 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and that's fine, too. I'm curious to try the machete version... it makes sense as well.

Rogue One is seems to fit in between 3 and 4, given what it's about.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I've never done the machete method (I had to Google it to double-check what it was, so you can tell how much I know about the Star Wars fandom). I would do 4-6, 1-3, 7, just for tradition's sake

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Danged tablet ate my post...

Considering that Disney's rewriting Lucas's canon, there's some debate on whether 7-onward even belongs with the other two trilogies... though, yeah, it would work better after at least seeing 4-6, and more will click after 1-3. (My die-hard old school SW fan sister's already skeptical of Rogue One, as original canon has that term originating with Luke after the formation of Rogue Squadron, following Ep 4.) I found 7 a decent popcorn flick, and I expect I might see 8, but it felt a little hollow and derivative, plus it lacked the "paint in the corners"/galaxy-far-far-away feel of the Lucas films (closest it came was that bar scene.)

And on an unrelated note, I'm already taking mental bets on how many people will be confused that Rogue One isn't the sequel to Ep 7. (I remember having long, circular debates online with someone who didn't understand that Ep 1 was a prequel; they were confused why everything wasn't torn up and battle scarred from the war that hadn't taken place yet.)

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand this whole thread. Surely these were the only three until the recent release of VII?
Maybe I can help here...

Apparently there were others released after these 3 that milked the franchise for all they thought it was worth. From what I've been able to gather from the interwebs, Disney, it seems, has now purchased the franchise and has plans to rewrite the entire canon for financial gain and inane market saturation.
[/sarcasm]

I stopped at 6 emotionally...

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I go machete, but there is no reason to watch 1 or 2....so 4, 5 , 3, and 6 and then I guess 7. I have no plans on watching Rogue One until it hits digital release (it's not saga). Next time Disney gets me back in the theater for SW will be 8.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
In my opinion, (and as you can see, the opinion of many others) 1 and 2 are not very good. I do like 3. But personally, I would recommend starting with 4, because if you start with 1, you probably won't be as motivated to continue.

I am old enough to have been alive when all of them came out. When 1 came out, anybody who didn't remember 4-6 couldn't understand why anyone even liked Star Wars. Basically, 4-6 is what created Star Wars mania, and 1-2 did not do much to add to the story. And, as I said, I did enjoy 3, but I enjoyed it more because I already knew about Darth Vader. 3 is kind of his origin story, and it's much more interesting if you already know who he is.

7 is just a great movie, and I do think it stands on its own, but it also becomes more enjoyable if you know what came before it. This is not true of 4-6.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Personally, even tho you didn't ask for opinions, I'd watch Episode 4 first. It was the first movie released and I think watching 1, 2, 3 (the prequels) prior to watching 4 would undercut a great deal of the emotional impact. I agree relatively speaking 1, 2, and 3 were subpar, but 1 has some fun bits and 3 has Christopher Lee on a flying bicycle riding to a theme lifted from the Wizard of Oz (so, y'know, worth a glance).

In my opinion, (and as you can see, the opinion of many others) 1 and 2 are not very good. I do like 3. But personally, I would recommend starting with 4, because if you start with 1, you probably won't be as motivated to continue.

This is what I thought right away, too. Machete order could be okay, but actually starting with 1 is more likely to ruin the whole thing for you than be helpful because it's in chronological order.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Machete order considers #1 to be so unimportant that you can skip it. However, it considers 2 important enough to the storyline to keep in the mix (even though the movie itself is bad). If you consider the purpose of going back to the prequels as if it's an extended flashback proving 5's big twist, the romantic element is pretty important to Anakin's fall and 2 reintroduces pretty much anything from 1 that might be needed, whereas 3 assumes you've watched the rest of the trilogy & throws you right in.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
(I remember having long, circular debates online with someone who didn't understand that Ep 1 was a prequel; they were confused why everything wasn't torn up and battle scarred from the war that hadn't taken place yet.)

Wait, really? Didn't they realize that Anakin had the same name as Luke's father?