Black Friday, 2016

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK, sooooo I've had my coffee and just finished checking my email.

Now, it's time to crank up the Christmas Music, and pull the Christmas Decorations outta the attic.

Um, no - I do NOT plan to set foot in a mall, shopping center, or grocery store today - Just NO!

How about you? :hi:

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I hadn't planned on it, but hubby woke me up at 7 am and said he wanted to go out. So, I dragged my lazy butt out of bed and went with him. The stores were empty, I'm not kidding. All the places we went had their major deals last night, so everyone had already left. We managed to get what we needed at very good prices (we didn't need much) and avoid the chaos. We got home early and I've already cleaned my house and had lunch. Now it's time for a NAP.

I don't plan to do a singe thing with the rest of my weekend. Except maybe put up the Christmas tree. But that's it.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've balked at Black Friday ever since I was aware of its existence. What I do, as usual, is buy gifts when I see them at a good price starting in the summer. Yes, I still do a good bit of buying in the final month, once wish lists are in my hands, but my method of shopping sales for six months or more lets me give more while spending the same amount.

The whole concept of massively crowded shopping malls where people battle for limited-quantity items at a good price is pretty close to my idea of Hell.

Maryn, possibly going there (Hell, I mean) nevertheless

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I used to shop like that, Maryn. Started early and took my time. But then I'd forget what I bought and end up buying more and then I'd have too much. I think it works if you are organized and responsible. So yeah, didn't work for me. I wish it had because I hate fighting crowds and feeling rushed/pressured.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer cyber monday myself...click, click, click - done - all the nieces and nephews want these days is gift cards to Amazon and iTunes anyway

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Today is the day my family celebrates Thanksgiving.

So we've been roasting and basting and polishing and cleaning all morning.

The house smells of turkey and mulled cider.

All of our plans involve eating, conversing, and cleaning up.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I rarely hit a mall anyway, and haven't done Black Friday in decades. There is nothing I need badly enough to do that. There is a really nice, big, craft show near me that my cousin and I used to hit on BF. But she has back and hip issues (in addition to being about 100# overweight) and can't do it anymore. So I'll go there tomorrow after they leave to go back to CA. Just had a turkey sandwich on a leftover dinner roll. That will hold me until the cousins take us out for dinner tonight.

MM

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I used to do Black Friday shopping back when getting up early meant hitting the stores at 5-6am.

Now, I do Cyber Monday if I hit any sales at all.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I'm Canadian, so Black Friday is this odd, imported thing that makes no sense (because it's not a holiday here. It's not a long weekend. It's just a regular work day in the middle of a random month.)

The only reason we have it here now is because Canadians began to realize they could get some good online deals on Black Friday, and the local shops decided they'd better start getting competitive.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
This is the first Black Friday I've done in ages, since it's the first one I've had at home with my mom and sister. We go early to Bed Bath & Beyond and then the mall. When it gets crowded, we go home.

I bought nothing at the mall, but spent a ton at BB&B.

And spent a ton of time with my baby niece :greenie