Offshore Oil Platforms

armydillo978

Banned
Reaction score
I'm working on a project that involves an abandoned offshore oil rig. So I've been trying to find a layout of the rooms to use for the various scenes.

I've talked to a few people who've worked on them and they tell me there is no one floor plan/schematic to the layout of the rigs. But they did mention there are some...a victory class platform....I immediately thought of Star Wars.

So, I'm trying to figure out the room arrangements, not necessary the technical aspects...since it's a shutdown/abandoned/old platform.

So, if anyone has info, I would appreciate it.

Armydillo

jimmymc

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Some of these platforms make great fish sanctuaries, when I used to fish in the Gulf of Mexico we caught many species of fish around these platforms abandoned or not.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Only comment I'd make having once watched a safety video based on an oil platform disaster and how poor layout contributed to the number of deaths, is that you'd want to match layout to whenever you are saying it was built (if you even touch on that) - as safety standards on layouts will always be evolving.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sealand isn't an oil platform. It's a sea fort.

Actually it's a gun platform built on an oil drilling platform design. But, if it meets the needs of the story, it works. FWIW, there are oil rigs and there are oil rigs. Depending on sea conditions, depths and the environment, as well as the year built, they vary widely. Oil rigs off the coast of Santa Barbara, California are pretty similar to Sealand. Oil rigs in the Baltic Sea are dramatically different. Abandoned platforms usually have all the equipment removed and are just rusty structures, sometimes without a superstructure or much left. Mothballed platforms, far more common, will even get routine maintenance visits. Depends on what the rig was for, why it is being abandoned or mothballed and the vagaries of the national and international regulations.

For the OP, I might suggest adding or removing rooms that fit the story. You'll have some kind of bunk area, kitchen/lounge area, control area and various work and supply areas, but actual configuration can be changed to anything that works for your story. For example, some rigs have helicopter pads, others do not. If you need one, add it, if not, leave it off and give them a docking area. Keep in mind that many oil platforms were designed by Naval engineers and often have similar rooms to a ship. Which often means no ladies room. :)

Jeff

Last edited:

Underdawg47

Registered
Reaction score
I worked as a gallyhand for an offshore catering company back in the early 80s. My job was to help the cook with the meals and clean the bunk rooms.

armydillo978

Banned
Reaction score
My only sticky is the mechanical rooms. I'm a mechanic by trade (auto/diesel), but not an industrial mechanic......The sealand platform is damn near perfect, with the wooden dolpin as a helo platform. I can picture almost every room.....just the larger rigs and they're levels of equipment confused me and how they could play into things.

I found this link:

http://www.bobleroi.co.uk/ScrapBook/SealandOne/ThisIsSealand.html

That gives schematics.

This is more in mind with what I saw in the Gulf of Mexico.

Thanks to all, you really have been helpful and given me food for thought. :)