Not open for further replies.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[If this isn't the right place to inquire, feel free to move this.] There's a person here who's often been very vocal. Recently he's not around. Today I bothered to check the member list, and he is not listed. Does this mean he's been banned, or simply that he's had a name change and the clean slate that goes with it?

I would have sworn I'd seen the names of banned members still in the member list in the past, but naturally I can't find one now to illustrate my point.

Maryn, nosy as can be

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, those aren't the only options. Sometimes members choose to leave the board and ask to be removed from the membership list when they do.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see. Yeah, I guess having a user name that you go by at many sites, or in the real world, with the notation BANNED, is not something you'd want left up, eh?

Maryn, tipping her hat to not one but two moderators who answered almost simultaneously (What, you're not all wearing hats???)

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn said:
Maryn, tipping her hat to not one but two moderators who answered almost simultaneously
We Live to Serve.

Or was that, We Have No Other Life? I'll have to look that up again.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Aconite said:
Maryn, those aren't the only options. Sometimes members choose to leave the board and ask to be removed from the membership list when they do.

People here at AW do this...? Really...?!? What on earth possesses them to do such a thing...???

ATP

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there's death. That last gasped request might be, "Remove my name... from the members list..."

Maryn, who'll leave hers up and live forever in some people's minds

rich

Hah, you opened a can, aconite. It was done with a can opener attached to a can, not to a jar that can be easily screwed back on.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Cans! I laugh at cans! I deal with cans all the time! I moderate the heavily trafficked and volatile Life Story Writing forum! And I wield the Spear of Destiny, which opens cans like you wouldn't believe.

People have different reasons for leaving and asking to be removed from the membership list, and different ways of doing so. Some conclude that their philosophical differences with AW as a whole, or with certain members, are sufficiently important that they no longer wish to be associated with the board. Some flounce out in a huff. Some decide they don't want to be the person they have been any longer, and choose to put an end to a persona. Some, of course, are booted with great force for reasons that, at heart, always come down to showing egregious lack of respect for others.

Last edited:

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Conversely, what is it that enables a banned member to rejoin? Are some banned for life, or only until they write 100 times, "I promise to respect the other writers."?

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Sometimes we impose a temporary ban if we feel like the person has crossed the line, but may be worth a second shot after a cooling off period. Others are banned permanently. Of the ones who are banned permanently, we've reversed the decision in rare cases where the person has come to me or one of the mods and really pled his/her case.

Status
Not open for further replies.