The term for "a work therapist" (medical)

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
I need a professional term that describes a medical person (in the US) who works with patients after they have been treated for severe injury after an accident, they had stroke or have some disability. At my place such professional is on a nurse level and it's simply called "work therapist" - he/she helps the patients to learn to walk again and such. It's similar to physiotherapist but it's not the same.

I want to use this in some health articles.

Last edited:

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
PT/OT -- physical therapy and occupational therapy. The physicians specializing in rehabilitation are known as physiatrists. It's a residency done after medical school. Physiatrists often direct the PT/OT folks.

Here's a link to the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, the certifying board for physiatrists.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got a physical therapist because the occupational therapist had too many patients. But they consult on techniques of rehab if needed. Mine was just range of motion and strength training so it's not the same as some other therapies. But, at least here in Florida, the various surgeons and medical people involved all have plenty of rehab groups they recommend and work with, often with financial interests in those medical groups, based on the recovery and area of the body that needs work. Since these are medical groups, a patient may get moved between therapists as needed for their recovery plan.

The other factor that comes into play and may be reflected in your articles, is how the accident occurred. On the job injuries are often treated differently by insurance carriers than automobile accidents for example. And, here in the US, it's often the insurance company that decides what therapy a patient gets based on whether or not they'll pay the bill.

Jeff

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
My son had extensive occupational therapy for years to help him function through his autism. It worked wonders.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
You say it isn't physical therapy, but the task is still assisting with learning to walk, etc? There is a position called physical therapy aide, which requires shorter training.

Occupational therapists generally help rehabilitate fine motor skills--putting toothpaste on a toothbrush, dressing, using a spoon. Some of them have expertise in assessing and modifying adaptive equipment like custom wheelchairs or special car seats for children with cerebral palsy.

What Myrealana describes is the sensory therapy services that some OTs provide, which is not well understood or studied--nonetheless a lot of families find it really helpful.