PDA

View Full Version : Seeking critiques for 45k word Contemporary Horror short novel

DMcLeod
11-21-2016, 11:29 PM
Hello horror fans!

This is my second attempt at writing a novel (the first is unfinished crime/noir). This one is tentatively titled: How We Became This Thing.
It is about a secluded family that receives a mysterious and terrifying video tape. Someone, it seems, is spying on the youngest daughter and leaving the filmed evidence around--seemingly only to scare the bejeesus out of the family. Things continue to get more terrifying from there. If you'd like, you could say it's The Shining-meets-The Babadook.

This short novel combines mundane terror with the supernatural, and is not for the faint of heart. I would consider it "literary horror."

I am looking for betas to read this draft before I give it another one or two passes, then send it out to agents. I am looking for non-biased advice from fans of horror/literary/weird fiction. Well, you can be a fan of anything really, just be forewarned that this IS supposed to be scary.

If you would like, I can send you a free soon-to-be-publishd short story for taking the time to read this. But only if you want! I don't want to overwhelm anyone's schedule :)

Maryn
11-22-2016, 01:37 AM
Psst! It's a real bad idea to post your email in a public forum. They're all scanned by bots or crawled by spiders, I forget which, seeking email addresses and other saleable information which they sell to people who will spam you senseless at best.

Instead of posting it, at least replace the @ with [at] so it won't be recognized.

DMcLeod
11-22-2016, 03:34 AM
Oh wow, I seem to be very bad at the internet.

Thanks for the info. Removed!

Maryn
11-22-2016, 07:53 PM
There, see how fast you learned a New Thing? Pass it on if you see someone else doing it. I'm minimally competent at the internet only because I had teenagers at the right time.

ghostface320
01-25-2017, 07:11 PM
Are you still looking for a beta reader? Willing to swap?