Not open for further replies.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I didn't want to post the whole thing here when there's already a discussion taking place, but I wanted my romance pals to know about this shudder-inducing incident, a news article that mentions my first book by title and its connection to a psycho criminal. <sigh>

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32408

Susan G.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry this happened to you Susan, but reguardless of whether or not you wrote your book, people would still do all these awful things. Fiction reflects reality not the other way around.

:Hug2:

I would feel horrible if someone committed a crime that resembled one in my writings, some are rather brutal, and quite a few are not nice stories.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
don't take it personally, please... sounds like a flakey woman to start with and I'm sure your fine writing wasn't involved.

but, yes - a HIGH ick factor!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

stupid reporter. Probably didn't even LOOK at the books, just grabbed the titles.

grr.

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
I know the woman was a total nutcase, and that my book had nothing to do with what she did - my book was just a symptom of her obsession with babies.

Still, it was just sort of freaky. It's not how you expect to stumble across a reference to one of your novels. <G>

Thanks for the support, though, gang. :) I appreciate the hugs, cause man, it IS just creepy. <shudder>

Susan G.

Sakamonda

Registered
Reaction score
Fort Mitchell, KY

I grew up in the Cincinnati area, and Fort Mitchell, KY is an affluent Cincinnati suburb. I am familiar with this area; in all likelihood, the attacker was a nanny to an affluent Fort Mitchell family.

Always weird when violence hits close to home.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Susan, don't throw guilt by association at yourself. It won't stick. I seriously doubt that your book inspired her actions.

Anya Smith

House Dragon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alnitak-z-orionis.com
I'm sorry this happened, but please don't feel bad. It's even a sort of compliment if you could look at it that way. Your book seemed so real that she acted it out. She's a sicko.

I'm changing my name.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
I worried from time to time during my recent pregnancy about something similar happening. We've had a couple similar cases not too far away. Plus an 8-month pregnant woman went missing from the next town over when I was about the same time along. They never found her, either. *sigh* The things people can do to each other...

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Anya Smith said:
I'm sorry this happened, but please don't feel bad. It's even a sort of compliment if you could look at it that way. Your book seemed so real that she acted it out. She's a sicko.

I'm changing my name.

No, she didn't act out my book. My book had a preggo heroine, but it had nothing to do with baby theft in any way.

Thanks to all of you! I wasn't feeling guilty in any way, didn't think I'd influenced this woman in any way, I was just feeling plain old creeped out about it. <G> I'm sure you can understand that. :)

But I'm better now. <G>

Susan G.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Geez. Next thing you know, your name will be popping up as a character on "CSI" or something. Oh, yeah . . .

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Shwebb said:
Geez. Next thing you know, your name will be popping up as a character on "CSI" or something. Oh, yeah . . .

ROTFLOL! Hey, I'd forgotten about that! That was odd. For those of you who aren't CSI fans, an episode not that long ago flashed a driver's license, and the person's name was Susan Gable.

LOL. That was kind of funny. (I think the character was dead. Can't remember - my memory is really going these days. What was I saying? <G>)

Susan G.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Sweetie, please--don't beat yourself up. If the news hadn't flashed your title out there you'd never have known.

I write in a genre that has its share of kooks as fans, and I've no doubt that some of the more extreme types might have one or more of my titles lurking on their shelves. But if they do something violent it's nothing to do with me. That's a choice they made.

That sad, awful person was a nutter and I'm very glad that the woman she attacked came out of it alive with her baby. It's something to be thankful for.

Let some time pass, then get back in the saddle and keep writing. In NO way are you responsible for anything to do with that business!

EmoteHug2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.