German Language Help

Eluveitie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone translate the word "destroy" for me? In this case, it would be spoken as an order.

Also, "exempt." But in this case, it would be a person saying that someone is exempt.

In both cases, a person is talking to his dog. I was going to use normal schutzhund commands, but this character prefers to create his own.

Eluveitie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I thought it was vernichtet, so I'm glad you clarified.

He's just telling the dog that someone is exempt, and for the dog not to attack them.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
"Vernichtet" means destroyed (past). "Vernichten" is the infinitive or base form of the verb, or "to destroy". "Exempt" translates to "befreit" which literally means "freed."

GregFH

Registered
Reaction score
German dog commands tend to be very short, usually just one or at most two syllables. http://germandogtrainingcenter.com/schutzhund-training-commands/
Am not sure what you mean by destroy, but if you mean to kill a person, you could use töte (kill).
As for exempt, if you mean that the dog should leave the person alone, better might be lass ihn/sie (leave him/her, in the sense that we say leave him/her alone in English).

Last edited:

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Also, German dog commands are often artificial words or, rather, words removed from their original meaning. "Fass" (grab) for "snap" or "bite", "Platz" (place, spot) for "lie down", stuff like that.

"Vernichte" or "zerstöre" (the other possible translation of "destroy") both end in long syllables. What you'll be looking for is something short that has a snappy finish. Can't think of a fitting one right now, tough. Why are German words for destruction so melodic? It's almost as if we like that... Maybe "Schmetter!" (from "schmettern, smash, or "zerschmettern", smash to bits). At least it has a snappy first syllable.

I'll post if I think of something later.

Exempt wasn't supposed to be a dog command, right? Yeah, that would be "befreit" as Deb said, as in "befreit von" (free of/from) or "der Befreite" (the liberated one). There's also "freigestellt", if you're exempt from something, a duty or chore or somethin. Not taxes, though, that's "steuerbefreit".