A very quick query about American school grades/ages...

Los Pollos Hermanos

Craving the next chocolate hit...
Registered
Reaction score
Hello on this drizzly Sunday evening!

Pretty please could someone quickly confirm (or correct) my research on US school grades:

Child 1 was born in June 2006, and would currently be in fifth grade?
Child 2 was born in February 2009, and would currently be in second grade?

Assuming the above is correct I can work out the rest. The other story I'm plotting which is set in my local town and the surrounding countryside is using considerably less brainpower - haha!

Thanks in anticipation,

LPH.

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
So could Child 1 be in fourth grade instead? I did read that there can be slight variations depending on what state you live in, so went for what seemed to be the most common!

Raivnor

Registered
Reaction score
I think August is kindof a breakpoint. You are a year off the others if you were born around August (like me), but I'm not sure your characters would qualify. Of course, there's probably a lot of room for parent input, so if your parent characters wanted to start a student a bit later that might be feasible.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
I can speak to South Carolina and Ohio, but I would guess it would be similar all over given conversations I've had with friends all around the country. Chances are, both in public and private schools, Child 1 would be in 4th grade. Especially in private school, where there is really an emphasis on starting kids (especially boys) later.

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
It's only mentioned in passing and the most I'd say is that she's ten years old. As a June baby would she not scrape into the older grade? In the UK our school year runs from 1st September to 31st August; in my year I had one friend born on 3rd September and another born the best part of 51 weeks later on 27th August!

I've checked for that school district and they start middle school in sixth grade, so if writing the story gets delayed and she ends up a year older (i.e. it's now September 2017) she wouldn't be at the local elementary school with her younger brother if she's in fifth grade now.

Like I said, it's a very minor part of the story, but I like to have the little details correct! #AnallyRetentive ;)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My youngest was born in August of 2005 and he's in the fifth grade. There has been a trend in primary education of starting kids later for school. I think it's all about test scores.

Sadly, holding kids back is often because bigger kids have an advantage in sports.

allthefeels

Registered
Reaction score
The cutoff for my school was October 1 (granted, that was over 20 years ago, so it could have changed). By my count, your math is right.

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
The last time we "met" the children, the girl had just turned three and the boy was a baby.

She was into drawing and animals back then, so I now imagine her to like painting, crafty stuff, knitting, baking and looking after her pets. She's intelligent and favours English and art over math(s) and science. I don't imagine her being competitive or any great sporting star (no offence to the kid!), although she could be a fairly good middle-distance runner. Not sure whether this would make them want to keep her down a grade?

He was always a docile baby and I now think of him as quite a laid back child; perfectly capable, but has no sense of urgency. There's nothing "wrong" with him, it's just his nature. He's more scientific, loves Lego and would rather go hiking/camping with his dad than participate in school-based sporty stuff. Being a February baby, I assume there's less chance of him being kept down a grade?

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
As I understand it, the rules are seldom hard and fast, and part of the calculation could be how much preschool education the kid had and the level of social and emotional maturity. If you need your character to be in one grade, rtather than another, then go ahead. If you need to back it up, then used preschool and/or Summer school.

Dave Williams

Zappa isn't frank!
Registered
Reaction score
California's age cutoff date is December first, or it was in the 1960s, anyway.

Some school systems will let a child skip a grade. They also used to make kids with bad grades repeat grades; I don't know if that still happens with "No Child Left Behind."

A child might also wind up a grade behind if they were sick or absent too much of the year; again, I don't know how that works nowadays.

Generally, if the child has been going to school out of the country they're slotted back in at the local age-appropriate grade.

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
I'll probably make her 5th grade for now, so that if I set the story in August-September 2017 I can have her starting at middle school.

Cheers, y'all. ;)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Ages will differ between regions, as well as the cutoff month. Like in Texas, most kids are 18 when they graduate high school. In California, they're 17.

spork

Registered
Reaction score
I'll probably make her 5th grade for now, so that if I set the story in August-September 2017 I can have her starting at middle school.

Cheers, y'all. ;)

Middle school grades also seem to vary by region. I went to school in New Jersey and 5th grade was part of middle school. After I graduated, they moved 5th grade to elementary school.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Middle school grades also seem to vary by region. I went to school in New Jersey and 5th grade was part of middle school. After I graduated, they moved 5th grade to elementary school.

When I was in school, elementary was K-5. As the schools filled up, K-2 was split from some schools into "Primary," and other schools split 5th off into Middle school. It definitely varies.

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the extra info. I'm going to imagine she's currently fifth grade, so if I set the story a year or so into the future she can be starting middle school.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
As with everything about US schools, there's a huge range of local/regional/state variability, and in a particular place variation between public & private schools. If your story includes any particular geography it should be easy enough to look up the relevant school/district & find out for certain how they are structured for this.