Super awkward (if not worse) situation & the character flaw of social paralysis

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
So there's this woman I know. We'll call her V. We've known each other for six or seven years, but aren't close. Two of her children have come through my chess club (I run a middle school chess club here in my town.) We're friendly and chat during chess events, and a bit moreso lately as she's going through a divorce and has a lot of frustration to purge.

The trouble is her youngest son. Well, he was always a bit of a problem, but there's something going on that's horrifying and I am paralyzed every time I encounter it.

The kid (we'll call him B) has always been unpleasant. From the first grade, he's ill-behaved and disruptive. (Both of her children that I've dealt with were unpleasant under my watch, although the next oldest was lovely, warm, and polite the last time I saw him - he grew up a bit, I guess.) B has always been prone to disgusting behaviors that clearly make people uncomfortable. Although he always appears to be oblivious, he routinely goes for the gross - picking his nose and making a snack of it, putting his hands down his pants and smelling the results after a few warming minutes, spitting into a napkin and scrutinizing the mess in full view. That sort of thing.

He's eleven now and seems to have been full-on mugged by an early puberty. His mother is 5' 9" and he's taller than her already. The whole family is odd. But now it's gotten really strange.

Chess started up in mid-September. B has become so disruptive that his mother accompanies him, almost like a handler. At the end of the second lesson, B refused to help bag up the chessboards. He ran away from us when we asked him to get to it. His mother strode up and ordered him to get to bagging, but instead (and you could have knocked me over with a feather) he lunged for her, wrapped his hands around her throat, thumbs crossed over her windpipe and dragged her face to his. He pulled her in for a wet, loose-lipped, shudderingly lingering kiss. His mother did not react. It was stunning and the chess instructor and I just looked on in speechless horror.

A few weeks ago, V and I were talking and she was complaining that her back and neck were hurting. She and B live alone, as the other kids are grown or away at school, and the parents are in the midst of a divorce. (B lives half the time with his father.) She looks me dead in the eye, and I kid you not, says this - "I'm going to get B to massage me when we get home." Then she kind of moans it out, "He's so good. He goes so hard. And he'll massage me anywhere. He'll even do my feet. I've taught him well."

It was all I could do not to scream.

And today, well, I have no idea what to do with today. There was a tournament. V sat next to me and we were pestered by B all day. He kept demanding that she scratch his head or rub his leg. At one point, he planted another of those horrifying kisses on her mouth, but this time, let his splayed lips slide up, pressed into her cheek as an ending flourish. But I completely derailed mid-story (comprehensively, I had not a single word or thought in my head to get my mind out of the scene I was witnessing) when B scooted under the table. He rested the back of his head on my thigh and took his mother's hand and started kissing, licking, and sucking her fingertips. Before he came out from under the table, he tried to get her attention by slapping her repeatedly on the breast.

V seems completely disconnected from how appalling this is. Even if this is somehow justified (as sick as it could be) in her mind for private closeness (and I'm in no way defending it, if that would be the case) I go catatonic when she doesn't even act like it's in the slightest bizarre to do this in front of me. Indeed, in front of a roomful of people.

What the hell? What do you think you would do?

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's bad. I don't see that you have a lot of choices. Have you considered the school resource person if there is one?

Sometimes kids will act up when their parents are around. Rather than making it better, the mother could be making things worse.

Years ago the pediatric head nurse where I worked said to me, you can't help everyone. I've never forgotten it.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm usually anti-intervention. I think you should do something - this may or may not be an abusive situation, but there are several signs that don't bode well for his future mental health.

Do you know if his school has a psychologist? Do you know a child psychologist who knows them - someone who intersects with your circles? Worst comes to worst, I'd call child services, and make the inappropriate sexuality very clear, though I'd wager that's not likely to be the most likely way to get him help.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
See if the school has a welfare officer or psychologist. A guidance counselor is not likely to work well; you need someone with an M.A. or better in psychology.

Alternatively, you can make an anonymous report to social services. That is generally done at the county level.

Aside from the sexual ick, he could kill her.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
There are some behavioural issues where not reacting to the child's misbehaviour is the best thing for keeping the behaviour from repeating or escalating. Any chance that's what's going on?

That said, if it's making you that horrifically uncomfortable, consider telling the mother she either needs to intervene or not bring B back.

And yes, call the authorities too, and let them investigate it, because it does sound weird and sexual.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
There are some behavioural issues where not reacting to the child's misbehaviour is the best thing for keeping the behaviour from repeating or escalating. Any chance that's what's going on?

Anything's possible. I have no idea what's going on. Like I said, the whole family is odd.

There was something, though. I said she didn't acknowledge what he was doing, but I forgot - when he kissed her and slid his open mouth up her face today, she did say to me (while wiping his spit off her face) "He's a weird kid." And I was stammering and said something like, "Uh, well, yeah, you know..." or some string of noncommittal words, and she said, "No, he is."

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I am deeply squicked out by them. I can't even get a handle on who is the "aggressor" in the relationship. B has always been very, very strange. And I realize I'm talking about an 11 year old boy. It doesn't make me feel like a nice person to say this.

At this same tournament last year, he went up with the team to accept a trophy and when someone told him to smile for a picture, he spun around, pulled this horrible, deeply disturbing grimace and nearly two hundred adults involuntarily recoiled. It made me feel at least a little better about my struggle to override my uncharitable reaction to him.

A few weeks ago, our chess instructor paired him with my fourteen year old daughter for a game in class. He thought she could handle him. She thought she could handle him. I was out of the room and came back into chaos, my child struggling mightily not to cry.

B had needled her with cheating moves and quiet, under-his-breath taunts. When he couldn't get a rise out of her, he used his ill-gotten advantage, made a winning move, then stood up and screamed in her face, "I own you! I own you!"

It was the end of the class and my daughter fought tears all the way to the parking lot. When I was finally able to get her to talk, she said that it wasn't that he won or even that he cheated - it was a throwaway game and no one expects B to act right in a game - but that he creeps her out in some way she can't find words for.

He's really quite something. I don't know what to think.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
The worst part is that I'm not sure I've ever been so derailed. During these three incidents since September, it's like I have a seizure. My brain completely blanks and I freeze. It's so repulsive, I'm just rigid and brain dead.

I cannot grow an instinct for what, if anything, I should do or say.

Susannah Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
Perks, I'm not surprised you're feeling derailed and unable to respond at the time, because what you're seeing is well beyond 'weird' and into 'disturbed'. You really shouldn't feel bad about your reaction to the boy. Calling out this stuff doesn't mean you are not a nice person.

I'm no expert on any of this, but I'd agree that this family needs serious professional support and intervention. The law has just been changed here in New Zealand to make throat-grabbing/strangulation in a domestic relationship a special class of offence, because it is an enormous red flag for more serious violence later.

It also sounds like you might need to get this kid out of your club, as I presume your daughter is not the only one he has grossed out or abused. Do you have the support of other parents/adults to ask them not to come back unless the child can demonstrate he can behave properly? It might make you feel bad to do so, as though you're cutting off some of the mother's support, but it sounds as though they're well beyond the point where social contact will help them. The kids in the club are entitled to not be treated like your daughter was.

Mrs-Q

Registered
Reaction score
I used to be a mandated reporter (meaning it was a professional requirement I report something to authorities if I thought it crossed the line). I worked with special needs teenagers and adults, especially those who had difficulty managing agression.

The mom's behavior is worth a call to protective services. If you're wrong they can hook her up with additional resources.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
If you can ask around and see, quietly, if he's done anything to other children, that might be helpful as well.

Kids who have serious issues and offend can slip through the cracks when their behaviour is dismissed as just being a kid/a boy/something they didn't know was wrong, etc. Also, some of the offenses aren't chargeable due to the child's age or types of offenses (prosecutors aren't likely to bring a case against a 10-yr-old for grabbing girls on the playground, even if it's anything but innocent behaviour) and/or the parents will try to smooth stuff over, claim they'll talk to the kid, he didn't understand, etc.

The only way some of those kids get any help or monitoring is when someone presses the issue far enough that the choice becomes serious psych intervention or police intervention or a civil suit. Sometimes a lot has been swept under the rug before someone pushes that far.

He may have done nothing yet, and this may be a whole inappropriate family that isn't over the line into criminality, but ... I'd wager there's something already there to be found.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sounds to me as if this mom has some serious personal boundary issues and may well be using her son to fill the gap left by her husband. Emotional incest is just as bad as the physical. It's no wonder the boy is displaying unsocial behavior and, from what you've said, it looks as if the mom is encouraging this by not putting a firm stop to it. She's enjoying his attention too much.

The question is, Perks, how would you feel if you didn't report it and something bad happened? Consider that, by her lack of sanction, this mom is 'teaching' her son how to treat women. It's mom today, somebody's adolescent daughter tomorrow. Scary. If I were you, I'd get him out of the chess club, for a start.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Thanks, guys. We did ban him from the chess club for a few weeks. He's back on a probationary trial.

As far as other kids, he's certainly acted inappropriately with kids other than my daughter. He's out of control. In just two minor examples from yesterday, my daughter saw him pin a boy to the wall with his whole body, and I got whacked in the back by a kid he had snatched up fully off his feet and started swinging the boy like a mace.

It's not that he acts out, it's much closer to that everything he does and says paralyzes adults with revulsion. It's essentially constant. Sometimes he runs out of steam and will sit quietly, but it's really only to recharge. I guess I feel better that it's not just me, but it's a matter of, like Gail said, how will it be if I didn't do anything.

I think I'm going to talk to s friend who works in the school. She may have an idea of what resource would be the best fit for a point-of-entry

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah -- if that's what's going on in front of people, ask around for what's not, because stuff is not, and it's worse. Then get the cops involved, especially if you or any of the parents know any cops (because often cops too are prone to 'just a kid/misunderstanding/have a talk with him' stuff). This happens, that each episode is swept aside for one reason or another. With parents like you describe, often the only way that kid is getting any kind of intervention is if you get the law involved and that's her only option besides criminal prosecution.

It may sound cruel but it's for the best - even if it only gets him on the radar of law enforcement for the future.

Last edited:

Mrs-Q

Registered
Reaction score
Please call child protective services or the equivalent, or get him in contact with a psychiatrist or the special education department of your school? The penal system is not equipped to treat this child. He will be brutalized. There are treatments.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
There are reasons I'm suggesting the cops. Obviously Perks or anyone can make their own decisions in their own circumstances. However, ftr -

He's too young to go to jail or prison, regardless of the offense, even if he were prosecuted and convicted of something very serious.

Child protective services is often overwhelmed with cases of real abuse. They don't generally deal with subtleties, or kids on the edge of stuff. This depends on area, on people, but mostly, it's a department with social workers trying to save kids who are living in abusive situations or ones of great neglect, and they've got way too many of those to deal with to begin with. A kid whose own behaviour is the issue, even if it's potentially tied to some potentially questionable behaviour from adults, but who is in a middle-class existence with shelter, food, no injuries, etc., is unlikely to get any CPS attention. Even if he does, they're not likely to know what to do with him.

It's possible, given the very little we know, that this kid could have a serious issue.

In a general sense, a younger kid who has exhibited behaviour that has hallmarks of future risk whose parents have not or will not take action to get him help, intervention or monitoring, may be best served by law enforcement intervention. Parents who won't, for whatever reason (they think it's not 'that bad,' think the kid will grow out of it, that other parents or kids are targeting their kid, think getting help is admitting there's a problem, think getting help will mean the kid will be taken away, etc.) get help on their own sometimes also seek to smooth over or sweep under the rug stuff the kid does.

Law enforcement intervention is sometimes the only way to force the parents to get the kid help. A kid is not going to end up in prison -- this is a way to get real evaluations, mandated therapeutic intervention, treatment and monitoring. The system is actually not bad at this at all. With adults, yeah, they're probably not going to get a lot of therapy, but a kid is treated differently, especially because incarceration is likely not an option at his age.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Child protective services is often overwhelmed with cases of real abuse. They don't generally deal with subtleties, or kids on the edge of stuff. This depends on area, on people, but mostly, it's a department with social workers trying to save kids who are living in abusive situations or ones of great neglect, and they've got way too many of those to deal with to begin with. A kid whose own behaviour is the issue, even if it's potentially tied to some potentially questionable behaviour from adults, but who is in a middle-class existence with shelter, food, no injuries, etc., is unlikely to get any CPS attention. Even if he does, they're not likely to know what to do with him.

I wish I didn't know how utterly true this is. I have another situation in my life that this point has made more hopeless than I can say.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I do wonder, cornflake, on what transgression would the police be able to do anything? Can you call the cops over a kid kissing his mother's fingers?

I'm leaning on talking to the school. He's already under close monitoring by his teachers. I know they have to make daily reports of his behavior. I just don't know if they've got this piece of the puzzle.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with cornflake. If nothing else, the kid (and his mother) will be already be on law enforcement's radar if something more serious happens.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I do wonder, cornflake, on what transgression would the police be able to do anything? Can you call the cops over a kid kissing his mother's fingers?

I'm leaning on talking to the school. He's already under close monitoring by his teachers. I know they have to make daily reports of his behavior. I just don't know if they've got this piece of the puzzle.

Talk to the school, or if you don't trust the teachers/principle/etc., consider social services. I admire the way you've reported what you've seen with a minimum of interpretation. I'd suggest that's the approach.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading this thread but have nothing helpful to say. The situation is horrible, for boy and mom, and for those who are hurt by his bizarre behavior.

Perks said:
He's out of control. In just two minor examples from yesterday, my daughter saw him pin a boy to the wall with his whole body, and I got whacked in the back by a kid he had snatched up fully off his feet and started swinging the boy like a mace.

I think the other kids might be relieved if he weren't allowed in chess club anymore. They deserve a place to have fun and learn without worrying about what he might do.

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. What a mess.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score

No, that'd be nothing and she won't be a complaintant. That's why I suggested quietly asking around about other stuff he's done. If he's putting his hands on her throat, and pinning kids to the wall, bodily, in public, I pretty much guarantee he's done other stuff out of general public view. Those parents may have called cops, or, more likely, they confronted his mother, who said he's got issues, she'll talk to him, she tries, so sorry, etc.

The kids he's physically overstepped with - those are kids who can go to the cops and file on him. Cops may not want to at first, if he's not known to them, but there's probably someone works in child abuse or with sexual violence cases who will listen and understand the issue. Depends on the area and the cops, but it's not so unusual (I know of a case of a five-year-old who ended up on a sex offender registry, because over a year of discussions with his parents went nowhere and it was the best way to make sure he was monitored and receiving interventions).

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I don't really know how I'm going to poll the other chess parents, though. If they haven't noticed, sweet Jesus, what a thing to put into their heads.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really know how I'm going to poll the other chess parents, though. If they haven't noticed, sweet Jesus, what a thing to put into their heads.

I wouldn't. I discuss it with the minimum people.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Start with the ones you know know, or who should -- the ones whose kids you've seen his hands on. Maybe try something like how sad it is that you had to ban little Teddy Bundy from chess, but you just couldn't risk the other kids. Your own daughter was uncomfortable, and gee, what he did to your poor child. I'm surprised he hasn't done anything else, or maybe we just haven't heard about it....