• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta reader/Critique needed.120Knovel Adult Sci-Fi: literary/post-apocalypse/time-travel/slipstream/

Status
Not open for further replies.

bifurcation

Banned
Reaction score
First a note about the definition of Beta Reader: There seems to be some dissent among writers as to a codified definition so I will be specific about what I am looking for. Please do not post your definition here; I have read the disparate definitions of what a Beta reader is.

I don't really care what we call it. I have a Novel that is roughly 120K words. The entire thing has been edited but only the first 30K or so to a polished state. I want to send what is ready to someone, or someone-s, and then continue to send segments as I continue editing. Alternately if someone wants to read the whole thing, as it is, and give me notes on the overall plotting etc. That would be great also.

It is post-apocalyptic sci-fi with time-travel and slipstream elements; or maybe it's time-travel with a post-apocalyptic element. It's hard to say. It has a hard-boiled flavor, and a lot of philosophical elements. I hesitate to call it literary, for fear of sounding pretentious, but there is a psychological examination of the human condition. The themes of religion, spirituality and good and evil are explored. And yes, there is some action also. There is some profanity and some dark themes are explored. There is one very mild and tasteful sex scene.

I am willing to reciprocate. I will critique anything except romance or erotica. My preference runs toward literary sci-fi/fantasy or mainstream contemporary literature. But I will critique almost anything I think I can get behind after reading the first chapter or so.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
First a note about the definition of Beta Reader: There seems to be some dissent among writers as to a codified definition so I will be specific about what I am looking for. Please do not post your definition here; I have read the disparate definitions of what a Beta reader is.

I don't really care what we call it. I have a Novel that is roughly 120K words. The entire thing has been edited but only the first 30K or so to a polished state. I want to send what is ready to someone, or someone-s, and then continue to send segments as I continue editing. Alternately if someone wants to read the whole thing, as it is, and give me notes on the overall plotting etc. That would be great also.

It is post-apocalyptic sci-fi with time-travel and slipstream elements; or maybe it's time-travel with a post-apocalyptic element. It's hard to say. It has a hard-boiled flavor, and a lot of philosophical elements. I hesitate to call it literary, for fear of sounding pretentious, but there is a psychological examination of the human condition. The themes of religion, spirituality and good and evil are explored. And yes, there is some action also. There is some profanity and some dark themes are explored. There is one very mild and tasteful sex scene.

I am willing to reciprocate. I will critique anything except romance or erotica. My preference runs toward literary sci-fi/fantasy or mainstream contemporary literature. But I will critique almost anything I think I can get behind after reading the first chapter or so.

Well, coming in and immediately requesting critiques before you've contributed any time at all to the site probably wasn't going to do you much good, but starting off by saying what we can or can't do regarding your use of a term is probably not going to convince people that you'd be appreciative of their hard work either

You might try again, simply describing what you're looking for and skipping the rant, then describe what your book is about. That's more likely to catch someone's interest than a list of genres it may or may not be.

bifurcation

Banned
Reaction score
I´m sorry you thought I was ranting. Seams pretty normal to state the genre of you work. There was also some humor there; although perhaps to dry for some or so it would seem. Look, I need readers. I am willing to do the work to reciprocate. What is the problem, with that, exactly? I wasn´t trying to be nasty to anyone. I also think you did not read my post very well.

I said nothing regarding my use of the term. Absolutely nothing. I merely mentioned that not everyone seems to agree and that I therefore find it neccesary to state, explicitly what I am looking for.

I am really sorry If I offended you somehow, I honestly don´t understand this reaction.

- - - Updated - - -

spelled seems wrong, lol, sorry.

bifurcation

Banned
Reaction score
It seems to me that a moderator would be a little more moderate, less confrontational. I said nothing rude or offensive to anyone. I really sorry you read it that way. seems like a pretty "knee jerk" reaction to me. Hey I thought I was suposed to be the one "learning about thick skin"

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
It seems to me that a moderator would be a little more moderate, less confrontational. I said nothing rude or offensive to anyone. I really sorry you read it that way. seems like a pretty "knee jerk" reaction to me. Hey I thought I was suposed to be the one "learning about thick skin"

Say goodnight Gracie.

Status
Not open for further replies.