A question on interning at a literary agency

mystere

Registered
Reaction score
What is the educated guess for the hire rate of someone after interning at a literary agency for four months, provided all goes well?
Because of the new reality in the USA I am unsure how wise it is to undertake an unpaid internship.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
So much depends on the agency and the intern that it's impossible to answer this with any degree of accuracy.

If you have the chance of an internship, ask the agency how many of their interns go on to work for the agency in a paid role.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Just make sure it's an established, reputable agency with agents who have good records of making strong sales. I've seen agencies with no idea take on multiple interns, and those interns ended up with a view of publishing which was inaccurate and unhelpful.

Also, make sure you're taking it on because you really want to work in publishing, and not because you hope it'll be a way to network and find yourself an agent. (I remember here the story of an intern who arrived at a friend's agency with a big box full of her writing work, which she proceeded to distribute around the various offices; the next day she asked everyone what they'd thought of her work; she didn't make it to the third day.)

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the agent and the agency you intern at. I was a remote intern for close to a year and I'd told the agent I wasn't interested in going into publishing, I just wanted to catch a glimpse of what the industry is like from an agent's PoV and hopefully grow as a writer, so all of our conversations focused on the MSs I was asked to read and why they worked/didn't work and how, if it was my work, would I make it better. We discussed books and dissected themes and characters and market trends. He was very generous with his time and insight, and I came out of the internship a much better writer (I think).

His other remote intern was very interested in going into publishing, so what he did for her was more geared towards getting her an "in". He hooked her up with an indie bookshop. She worked at the bookshop and applied for paid positions at agencies, using the agent she interned for as a reference. After a few months at the bookshop, she got a job as an assistant at a different agency, worked there for close to a year, and now she's a full-time agent at another agency. So it can happen, it just depends on what you want and how good your relationship with the agent is.

mystere

Registered
Reaction score
Just make sure it's an established, reputable agency with agents who have good records of making strong sales. I've seen agencies with no idea take on multiple interns, and those interns ended up with a view of publishing which was inaccurate and unhelpful.

Also, make sure you're taking it on because you really want to work in publishing, and not because you hope it'll be a way to network and find yourself an agent. (I remember here the story of an intern who arrived at a friend's agency with a big box full of her writing work, which she proceeded to distribute around the various offices; the next day she asked everyone what they'd thought of her work; she didn't make it to the third day.)

Thanks for this. It's an established agency for sure. And no I don't expect to get an agent by interning haha. Though it would be great! lol That poor girl...

mystere

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the agent and the agency you intern at. I was a remote intern for close to a year and I'd told the agent I wasn't interested in going into publishing, I just wanted to catch a glimpse of what the industry is like from an agent's PoV and hopefully grow as a writer, so all of our conversations focused on the MSs I was asked to read and why they worked/didn't work and how, if it was my work, would I make it better. We discussed books and dissected themes and characters and market trends. He was very generous with his time and insight, and I came out of the internship a much better writer (I think).

His other remote intern was very interested in going into publishing, so what he did for her was more geared towards getting her an "in". He hooked her up with an indie bookshop. She worked at the bookshop and applied for paid positions at agencies, using the agent she interned for as a reference. After a few months at the bookshop, she got a job as an assistant at a different agency, worked there for close to a year, and now she's a full-time agent at another agency. So it can happen, it just depends on what you want and how good your relationship with the agent is.

Cool thanks for this!

OrdinaryDreams

Listening to the Universe
Registered
Reaction score
Colorado Springs, CO, USA, Earth, Solar System

That agent sounds like a fantastic person!