PDA

View Full Version : Cover art on Smashword

Pegster
11-09-2016, 01:33 AM
I'm self-publishing an ancient mss, and the formatting finished up a lot sooner than expected. Smashwords says a cover is required (for various reasons) and I commissioned one, but it won't be ready for a while. Anyone know if I can hang a stock image (or stick figure drawing, as my sister insists) on the mss for now, then change it to the fancy cover later? Or should I just wait and work on something else? Thanks!

Polenth
11-09-2016, 01:49 AM
I'm self-publishing an ancient mss, and the formatting finished up a lot sooner than expected. Smashwords says a cover is required (for various reasons) and I commissioned one, but it won't be ready for a while. Anyone know if I can hang a stock image (or stick figure drawing, as my sister insists) on the mss for now, then change it to the fancy cover later? Or should I just wait and work on something else? Thanks!

As long as the cover is the right size and has the right information on, it won't matter if it's really ugly (as far the rules are concerned). They don't require that covers are good. You're free to make a stick figure or buy stock art of a random cat.

https://www.smashwords.com/about/supportfaq#covers

However, you really don't want your book appearing with a temporary ugly cover. It'll harm sales and some sites will be slow to change when you update the cover. If anyone buys it with that cover, it could end up immortalised forever on social book sites, as people will add the cover version they read. I'd strongly suggest waiting for your final cover to be finished. Fine by the rules is not the same as a good idea.

Pegster
11-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Thanks, Polenth, for the advice. I'll sit tight, work on book 2 or something. Maybe go golfing.