ART???!!!

ColdWintersNight

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a question to sink your opinionated teeth into.

If you see a piece of art and suddenly you cooked up a 3 book novel idea complete with actual plot, characters, drama, lines of dialogue and the whole kit & kaboodle, what do you do? Do you contact the artist and ask them if you can make a story out of their concept? Do you not ask, but just tell them their work inspired you and you're hitting the ground running with the idea and thank them for posting the cool art? Do you say nothing and just write it? What if five years later you get published and you get a TV deal and you make millions and then that artist comes knocking at your door and asks for partnership and some of that sweet cold million? I guess you can always claim that you either never saw his art and just came up with the idea yourself, or it was another artist who drew something similar!

I'm asking for a friend.......lol, no I'm not. I'm asking for me.

Thanks!

blackrice

Banned
Reaction score
has any painter, illustrator or musician ever come after an author for being inspired by their work?

i've seen painters go after photographers that copy their pose and subject matter (and reverse).

i don't know, i'm genuinely asking.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Well, at the moment, it's just an idea.

My suggestion (and I Am Not A Lawyer, nor do I play one on TV): for now, just write. Maybe it'll pan out, maybe not. Maybe, in the writing, it'll skew further from the art inspiration or maybe not. Right now, it's just an idea, and ideas aren't even a dime a dozen anymore - they're more like a penny a gross.

If and when you finish and publishing (self-pubbing or traditional) becomes an option, that's when you might consider contacting the artist, because at that point there's something tangible involved. Even then, it'd likely be more of an optional/courteous/"thanks for the inspiration" thing than a legal obligation, I'd think, unless you see a very, very clear resemblance between the work of art and the finished story. Inspiration can't be copyrighted or trademarked, as the quote attributed to Pablo Picasso indicates: "Good artists borrow, great artists steal." (Of course, if you're self-pubbing and want to use the art as a cover piece, definitely make contact and get a nice contract in writing before proceeding.)

And if the art in question is itself derived from another work, especially a licensed property (a.k.a fan art), that's a whole 'nother canned ball of waxworms, because then you're dealing with a larger, potentially more litigious property...

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
My thing is, how on earth would an artist know if your story was based on their art? Unless the book is about an artist with my same name, who draws a picture just like mine, and names the art piece the same name as mine, how on earth would I know you used my artwork as an inspiration? What are the chances this artist would read your book and put two and two together? And even then, you haven't copied anything. I get inspired by music all the time, but as long as I'm not copying lyrics, I don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong. I'm being inspired. That's not the same as copying. Once you change something, the idea becomes your own.

I agree with Brightdreamer--if you want to use the image for your cover, that's different. But artists DO steal. They improve. They reinvent. There's nothing wrong with being inspired by something. If you want, you could always write a little thank you in the back of your book or something. But I highly doubt you have anything to worry about.

ColdWintersNight

Registered
Reaction score
Well the piece of art features three witches in a car getting pulled over by a cop. And I went....I want to write a story about those three girls road tripping, and then the plot was born and backstory and all that jazz. How close is that to "inspiration" vs "idea stealing"?

Someone might put two and two together only because the artist has a series of drawings like that AND seems to be pretty popular on Instagram and Tumblr (30,000+ favs per pic at average).

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
It is completely legal to poach ideas. You can't take the other person's art or violate a trademark, but ideas are free to be swiped. (It is frowned on, in very-obvious cases, but inventing a whole literary world from a single image? You're not going to be accused of lack of originality for adding that much depth to someone else's concept.)

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I saw a book once, even read a bit of it, called something like The Girl with the Pearl Earring, and it was based on a famous painting by Vermeer. It even had the original Vermeer painting on the cover. And okay, Vermeer is too old for copyright, but it was trade published, so perhaps that's at least part of an answer. :)

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I would send the artist a message as a courtesy. I don't think you legally have to, though

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Unless someone reading that book would know it came from that picture just by looking at it, it is not a derivative work, unless you somehow overtly say it is and open that door.