Location of a red room

xxbatteri

Registered
Reaction score
I've been plotting out this comic series lately, but I've been having issues with figuring out exactly where I should set it.
The concept is about a red room on the dark web in modern day. The MC gets kidnapped by henchmen and taken away to an abandoned building where he is locked up with several others in the same position. They're forced to participate in a game show that is broadcasted on the dark web. Basically one person is chosen to kill another person, and the other contestants can try to catch the killer before it's too late. If the killer is successful, they get a point. If the victim survives, the killer is booted out of the game and killed. The last one to survive is rewarded a large sum of money.
I really have no idea where this should be taking place. I need it to be a secluded place, of course. The only problem is that I need a building big enough for all of them to live for at least a few days that is also off the radar. The place needs to be fairly large, since the contestants need places of their own where they could perhaps hide. The person in charge of running the show does have a lot of money, so any expensive solutions aren't out of the question. If she did buy a fairly large abandoned building (or at least held ownership of it), isn't there a bigger chance she could get busted? Is there any way that she and the others organizing the show could weave their way out of getting caught?
It's also assumed that the characters all live in the US, but I was wondering if there was even a likely place in that country where someone would be able to hide off the grid for a long enough period of time (After all, I know a lot of American regulations can be quite strict). I suppose they could smuggle the contestants somewhere else, but that brings up several other issues of how they would go about doing that.
I know the whole concept itself isn't very likely since red rooms are typically regarded as myths, but I wanted to play around with the idea. There can be some suspension of disbelief I suppose, but I wanted to keep the rest of the story fairly realistic.
Ah, I'm sorry, my thoughts aren't exactly organized right now. If you have any questions I will definitely clear them up.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
There are large buildings of various types in many places, so you can say that it's wherever you want it to be. The matter of someone being arrested because she can be found through ownership should not be a significant issue. A real game of survivor would be easiest to do in some barely know place, and the video could be uploaded directly to a satellite. There are places in Africa where you could get away with it, especially if you paid the local authorities. If I were setting it up, I would opt for an uninhabited islannd that could be occupied for a week or two and left uninhabited. There are many uninhabited islands in the Pacific, and some look much like Gilligan's Island, so your people could build a red shack.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
How about an abandoned factory in a rural area? You'll want one that's been closed for long enough for the town to pretty much shut down. Having them relatively close to civilization could up the tension, also the hazards of any obsolete machinery left in place.

blackrice

Banned
Reaction score
i'd keep it simple, just 'an abandoned warehouse in a remote location' kinda thing. you can say it was renovated for this purpose. or you can get clever and make it an abandoned girls school, (asylum is a bit of cliche), or a hospital/factory on an island - there are even abandoned malls. there are plenty of towns that have been deserted for economic reasons, a train line got moved or a highway got built further on...

if you google there are often photo shoots of these places. you could probably base your location off a few of these pictures - add a bit of realism.

making it international would seem to serve no purpose / only add complexity. in star trek they innovated the transporter because they didn't want the first 5 min of the show to be the cast in a shuttle headed for some new world.

didn't Ellison put all those lightbulbs in a basement under the city? that was pretty creepy in itself - right under our nose.

if you have money, you just buy a space, put a fence around it and everyone pretty much leaves you alone.

The Italian mill (in the first link) is especially creepy to me - just change the location

http://www.boredpanda.com/abandoned-places/
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/not-faint-hearted-creepy-photographs-4584420
http://mentalfloss.com/article/65567/26-breathtaking-pictures-abandoned-and-forgotten-places

Last edited:

xxbatteri

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the links! Honestly, just having you all talk it out is really helping me organize my thoughts a lot more. I feel like I have a lot more ideas!

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Or you could have them in some ordinary places adjacent to something hidden, such as, Manhattan Island with HQ in an abandoned station, How many characters, and how much space do they need? "The Most Dangerous Game" was set on an island, and that seems to be tradidional with such things. The coal mining island in Japan might fit the bill.

xxbatteri

Registered
Reaction score
Or you could have them in some ordinary places adjacent to something hidden, such as, Manhattan Island with HQ in an abandoned station, How many characters, and how much space do they need? "The Most Dangerous Game" was set on an island, and that seems to be tradidional with such things. The coal mining island in Japan might fit the bill.

There are 13 contestants in total, and I was hoping to give them each their own spaces to sleep in.

Eluveitie

Registered
Reaction score
http://opacity.us/ has some great images of abandoned buildings if you need inspiration. Everything from abandoned schools to factories.