PDA

View Full Version : Sending Queries vs. Christmas time......

Isa_Halley
11-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Hi all,

I have a quick question. We are approaching a tricky Christmas/ festive time- something tells me that obviously this may be a bad time for sending queries? Who's looking at queries at that time anyway?
Shall I stop now and start sending them from January onwards????

waylander
11-06-2016, 05:54 PM
Short answer no. You'll be behind those who did sub, and some agents use the holidays to catch up on their query reading.

Sage
11-06-2016, 06:00 PM
Every time is potentially a bad time to query. If it's not Christmas, it's New Year's resolutions, it's conference season, it's spring break, it's summer vacation, etc. So just query.

The exception is if an agent specifically says not to query at that time, of course. Then follow that agent's request.

Aggy B.
11-06-2016, 08:42 PM
I sent out queries in December and got responses (even a partial request). I don't think I actually sent any queries during Christmas week, but that was partly because I was just busy with other stuff and didn't have the time to sit down and put query letters together.

There was one agent I tried to query at the beginning of December and I got an auto-response saying they were closed until Jan 6 (or similar). So I just made a note and sent the query again when they were open. (Not every agency will post to their website if they close temporarily because that means having someone put the text into the site and then take it down again later. So it's worth checking, but don't freak out if the website doesn't say "Closed for the holidays" and you get an auto-response saying they'll be out of office for two weeks or whatever.)

It is good to bear in mind that the holidays do sometimes mean a longer wait for a response. (I think I added about two weeks to my anticipated wait time for everything I sent in December and the beginning of January.)

Best of luck!

Laurasaurus
11-06-2016, 10:39 PM
I agree with everyone else. You may well have to wait a few weeks longer for a response. But you'll still be ahead in the queue of everyone who waited until after Christmas!

Isa_Halley
11-07-2016, 12:26 AM
Thank you so much for your responses :) :) I really have clarity now. Sometimes I just OVERTHINK. Yes, I will not wait I will keep sending them like my life depends on it!