PDA

View Full Version : Looking for agencies

grimkatr
11-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Hi everyone, I am looking for agencies that I can submit my novel to once it is complete. I see my novel as a potential series, but until I get it done, I can't be sure. It's an urban fantasy novel that takes place in modern day Arizona. It is about a young woman who finds out she is a witch and that supernatural beings do in fact exist, but decided to, as they put it "allow mortals to be the dominate species of this world". Of course there is conflict in the form of an Enchantress who doesn't agree with that decision and want to take back the world she believes belongs to her kind, as well as declare herself Queen. In doing so, she has collected followers. I know that this genre is overflowing with works involving witches, vampires and werewolves, but people out there like those books, including myself. Thanks.

Marissa D
11-06-2016, 03:14 PM
Check out sites like querytracker.com, agentquery.com, and manuscriptwishlist.com. All are great resources for researching agents who might be a good fit for you and your work. But it definitely requires research.

Sage
11-06-2016, 04:11 PM
Nobody can do your research but you, but Marissa has a great place to start. Make sure to check out their websites to make sure you have the most up to date submission info and then check here at AW (Bewares, Recs, and Background Checks) to find out more details about the agencies and AWers experiences (good, bad, & neutral) with them

Undercover
11-06-2016, 06:21 PM
The Publisher's Marketplace and The Guide to Literary Agents are some other places you can check too. The Guide posts "new agent alerts" every few weeks or so.

grimkatr
11-08-2016, 02:07 AM
I am looking for an agent to send my manuscript to once I complete the novel I am currently writing.

Maryn
11-08-2016, 02:12 AM
Whoa, slow down there. You have a lot of steps in between completion of the draft and agent shopping.

While you can research agents as you're still writing, things change, so doing it too far ahead may be self-defeating. If I were you, I'd put all my focus on completion of the novel, take a breather, then dive into revision and rewrites as needed. Depending on your speed at such things, it could be many months or even a year or more before than novel is in the best possible shape it can be--and that's the time for getting a few beta readers to figure out what flaws it still has and fixing them before seeking an agent.

Maryn, urging you to take the next step first

Dennis E. Taylor
11-08-2016, 05:26 AM
The turkey speaks sooth. Submitting to agents is not something you do casually or early. Your manuscript must be shiny and without blemish, as good as you, a bunch a crits, and some beta reads can make it.

Agents get, I dunno, maybe 1000 manuscripts for every manuscript they offer rep on. Maybe higher. Probably higher. Certainly not lower. You have a lot of competition.

Sage
11-08-2016, 05:30 AM
You also have already received advice on the subject in your YA thread.

Laer Carroll
11-08-2016, 12:47 PM
You are likely to have more questions about agents, such as how to write a query. AW has a forum specifically for such questions, called Ask the Agent. It's link address is:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?58-Ask-the-Agent

Old Hack
11-08-2016, 01:45 PM
As you've already been advised in your Ask The Agent thread, you're putting the cart before the horse. Finish your book. Revise it. Work with beta readers. Research publishing, and how it works, write a strong query letter and synopsis, and only then will you be ready to start looking for agents.

Old Hack
11-08-2016, 11:30 PM
grimkatr, I've merged the two threads you started asking for advice on finding an agent. One thread per subject in future, thank you!