PDA

View Full Version : Will British spelling/grammar turn-off American agents?

villain_fan
11-03-2016, 04:21 PM
I've written a novel that uses non-Americanised English, including British spelling and single speech marks, but I plan to query American agents and for the book to appeal to both an American and British audience. Should I rewrite the novel in Americanised English for the purpose of querying American agents? Many thanks.

Old Hack
11-04-2016, 11:21 AM
So long as you've been consistent throughout it shouldn't be a turn-off.

Whether or not you should revise the ms in order to Americanise it is another issue. Are you from the UK or America? Because if you're not correct and consistent (and without a long immersion into Americanese you're not likely to be) then you're likely to miss things, and make your ms a mish-mash, which might then be off-putting.

villain_fan
11-04-2016, 02:54 PM
I'm from the UK so I've written the ms using the English I know how to.

waylander
11-04-2016, 03:53 PM
It did not in my case, but then I was querying a secondary world fantasy set in neither country.

ElaineA
11-04-2016, 05:17 PM
You'll be fine, and (IMHO) any agent who would be turned off by it--especially now, when US agents are frequently queried by writers from Canada/UK/ AUS--probably isn't the agent you would want anyway. If it sells, editors will "Americanize" it if need be.

LJD
11-04-2016, 06:45 PM
Because if you're not correct and consistent (and without a long immersion into Americanese you're not likely to be) then you're likely to miss things, and make your ms a mish-mash, which might then be off-putting.

This is why I'm scared to submit anything in Canadian English. I fear it will just be seen as a mish-mash of American and British English, and people will think I just can't be consistent.
Also: MS Word's Canadian dictionary annoys me because it accepts both versions of everything, as far as I can tell.