After the flood -

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spiders.

Trigger warning if you're not keen on spiders. Or mosquitoes. Or Lake Menindee and its wildlife, generally...

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't open the link but that could be my internet being a pain.

In the meantime and speaking of pains I must say I have never seen so many mosquitoes. Horses and pet sheep are fed up already. Dog and I are happily aerogarded or in the house. I suppose I could let a couple of the sheep in :) .

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Blowies down here. I fixed the link, Ajaye. It just needed aeroguard.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Allllllllllll the nopes to the spiders. Nope, nope, oh hell nope.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So it's not just here, then? We've had swarms of mosquitoes, and for the past 2 nights, there's been an enormous spider hanging out by the back door. I guess he's waiting to be let in? The mozzies are the worst, though. We've also had a lot of moths, but we always have a lot of moths. The flies, not so much. There have been a few bothering me on my walks to and from the shops, but not anywhere near how many we usually get in summer. I know summer isn't quite here yet, but yeah... It's finally warming up, and so the flies are making an appearance.

*did not click the link*

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Ha. Are your wolf spiders like ours, completely harmless? I ask because I know that everything from magpies to garden snakes are nasty down under.

Except wombats. They seem really sweet.

As for the huntsman, that's just wrong. Arthropoda aren't supposed to hunt mammals. Parasitize or decompose us once we've died, sure. But not kill us to consume.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Ha. Are your wolf spiders like ours, completely harmless? I ask because I know that everything from magpies to garden snakes are nasty down under.

I think much the same -- local symptoms, nothing much systemic.

Except wombats. They seem really sweet.

They seem sweet, but...
Woman attacked by wombat thought she was going to die
Wombat mauls bushfire survivor
...and they kill dogs that follow them into the burrow by crushing them against the burrow wall.

Last edited:

travelgal

Registered
Reaction score
So it's not just here, then? We've had swarms of mosquitoes, and for the past 2 nights, there's been an enormous spider hanging out by the back door. I guess he's waiting to be let in? The mozzies are the worst, though. We've also had a lot of moths, but we always have a lot of moths. The flies, not so much. There have been a few bothering me on my walks to and from the shops, but not anywhere near how many we usually get in summer. I know summer isn't quite here yet, but yeah... It's finally warming up, and so the flies are making an appearance.

*did not click the link*

What kinda spider. A huntsman?

We get mozzies in the winter, but not as many this year because it has already been zero max. Not many spiders that like to inhabit houses, but we get enormous yellow and black ones wobbling on enormously messy webs decorating the trees like cotton threads, only they aren't pretty. The spideys aren't aggressive, though.

I hate moths. I wish there were spideys that would eat them when they come into the house, but we don't get daddy-long-legs. I miss those.