PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Things Mothers Do

a_niki
05-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Hi, I'm working on a screenplay (comedy) and am looking for anecdotes, especially from adult men, about the annoying things their mothers do, intentionally and unintentionally. I'm looking for those things that truly grate but in the end are funny and/or harmless. How does she push your buttons and drive you up a wall?

Please respond to momsoyvey@yahoo.com. No anecdote will be used directly.

Thanks!
a_niki

alleycat
05-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Oh, good, finally one I can answer. . .

Tornadoboy
05-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Oh god, where do you start?
One that immediately pops in to my mind is that you'll never hear the end of it if you come in smelling of a cigar, even if its been months since you've had your last, and yet she has no problem relentlessly pushing unhealthy food on you even when she knows you're desperately in need of losing weight and trying to stick to a diet.

Jaycinth
05-01-2006, 10:16 PM
I wait until my son (19) has a few of his buddies over, then I walk in with some food ( taquitos seem to work best) and start listing all of the heavy things that need moved, dumpped, trimmed, mowed, or detailed. It is so much easier than doing it myself, and if I get lucky , I can commandeer a beer.

Being a mom ROCKS!!!! ( booYAH!!!)

Oh. When something I think needs 'done' but isn't, I've been known to vaccuum his room at 7 am on Saturday!!( BOO (f**ing) YAH!!!! )AWRIGHT!!!!!! I RULE!!!!

stormie
05-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Oh. When something I think needs 'done' but isn't, I've been known to vaccuum his room at 7 am on Saturday!!

I like that one!

If anyone were to ask my sons what I do that's annoying, I'm sure they'd come up with a list that'll stretch from here to the ocean and beyond to Spain. Right now, though, I just can't seem to think of anything I do that's annoying. ;)
If I do, a_niki, I'll email you.

Cassie88
05-02-2006, 01:07 AM
The first thing that came into my mind -

J.D. Salinger's short stories about the Glass family. Bessie Glass, the mother - lovable, caring, and sometimes, annoying as hell.

Silver King
05-02-2006, 01:35 AM
Did anyone else's mom ever spit on a tissue before she wiped a smudge off your face? Even when you were a teenager? Sometimes, you could smell the saliva like bad breath.

I expect she'd still do it today if I hadn't stopped her 25 years ago.

a_niki
05-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Just the kinds of anecdotes I need. Love the cigar and the saliva. Keep 'em coming!

AmyBA
05-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Did anyone else's mom ever spit on a tissue before she wiped a smudge off your face? Even when you were a teenager? Sometimes, you could smell the saliva like bad breath.

I expect she'd still do it today if I hadn't stopped her 25 years ago.

Argh-- I hated that! My mom didn't do it often, but it always grossed me out. I swore I'd never do that to my kids.

HoosierCowgirl
05-03-2006, 07:11 AM
My MIL advertised then-single DH in the personals column in the weekly shopper paper. Without asking him. (That's not how we met, BTW)

Ann

Branwyn
05-03-2006, 08:04 AM
Complimenting one sibling to the other(visa versa), but never telling said sibling any of the kudos given. It's all a secret.

The guilt trips...I wear immitation and I buy you real leather.

My all time favorite,"I hope you have a child JUST LIKE YOU."

Anya Smith
05-03-2006, 08:13 AM
My older daughter is a chatter box. At dinner parties sometimes she says embarrassing things. I always make sure I sit next to her and step on her feet under the table. Unfortunately, she says out loud, "Mom, why did you step on my feet?"

a_niki
05-04-2006, 09:58 AM
My older daughter is a chatter box. At dinner parties sometimes she says embarrassing things. I always make sure I sit next to her and step on her feet under the table. Unfortunately, she says out loud, "Mom, why did you step on my feet?"

That's great! My grandmother used to do that. I'd forgotten about it.

I also love the mom who placed a personal ad on behalf of her son - without his knowledge! These are real gems.

Thanks!