Non-fiction publishers?

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just got a rejection letter from Bowtie Press about my book proposal on cats. It stated, "Though this is very interesting....."

Does anyone know of other pet publishers?

Thanks

Reece :Shrug:

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
Hi Reece, There are so many variables here, is your proposal for a general cat care book? cat story? children's book? etc. I know of dog book publishers, Doral, not sure if they publish cat books however. A great reference book publisher is DK, Dorling Kindersley, or you might try Storey Books.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Guidelines for Barron's are here (scroll down the page a bit): http://www.barronseduc.com/info.html

You can also look over their catalog to see what types of books they publish--check the links to the left of the page and select 'Pets.' Then browse the titles to see if anything is similar to yours (be sure to check the publication date to see how recently they came out).

As Shelley said, it would help to know what sort of book you're proposing. :) Is it a breed-specific book? Maybe an all-about-cat-care sort of thing? The focus of your book will determine which publisher might be a good fit. Though if you tried Bow Tie, I'd think that Barron's might also a reasonable place to try, as long as the focus fits in with what they publish.

Good luck. You've already done some writing for various cat magazines so you know your stuff!

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input - DK requires an agent for submissions, Barron and Storey are looking good.

I also found:
Workman Publishing www.workman.com
Adams Media Corporation www.adamsmedia.com/

Reece :)

Last edited:

GHF65

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Did you try Adams Publishing? They do non-fiction animal stuff. They turned down my book, so obviously they are not into humor (or they have good taste . . . pick one).