The Handmaiden

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw this amazing film! It is from the director of OLDBOY, THIRST, and STOKER. It is a period drama, not like his other movies, but it was a fantastic story. Apparently, the book it is based on was set in Victorian England, and Park Chan-Wook adapted it to 1930's Korea and Japan. Highly recommended! My favorite movie of 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whldChqCsYk

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I just saw this amazing film! It is from the director of OLDBOY, THIRST, and STOKER. It is a period drama, not like his other movies, but it was a fantastic story. Apparently, the book it is based on was set in Victorian England, and Park Chan-Wook adapted it to 1930's Korea and Japan. Highly recommended! My favorite movie of 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whldChqCsYk

I caught the rogerebert.com review of this yesterday, and I am sold. Where did you see it? (We're probably going to have to wait for it to be rentable.)

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I saw it at a local arthouse cinema called The Lagoon. I was able to see a preview screening. My husband was not looking forward to it at all, but when it started, he was enjoying it, and he was in a much better mood afterward.

I think it may have limited release, but I have a feeling it may get a wider release later on.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm dying to see this movie. I was hoping it would come out on On Demand in the Now In Theaters section (no luck), but it's out in Seattle now. I've heard others say it's the best movie of 2016, as well. I can't wait.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I loved it so much. I don't even want to say too much about it, because I went into it blind, and I enjoyed it so much. I am really hoping for a wide release! It is Oscar worthy.