PDA

View Full Version : Just how do you build a mailing list?

efreysson
10-20-2016, 01:53 AM
I'm planning to re-release my (completely unnoticed) short story serial in proper novel form, making it my fourth self-published book, and I want to get it right this time. I want to come out swinging, and my old strategy of a few Facebook and Twitter posts clearly isn't going to cut it.

I have always suffered from a staggering disinterest in the online community, so I've never figured out how all these things successful indie authors talk about work. One thing I see brought up again and again is the need for a mailing list of reviewers.

How does one assemble one of those, and how does it work?

Old Hack
10-20-2016, 10:10 AM
There are rules about mailing lists. The biggest one is that you can't just harvest email addresses: people have to voluntarily opt into your list. So it does take time to develop one for yourself.

efreysson
10-20-2016, 04:43 PM
There are rules about mailing lists. The biggest one is that you can't just harvest email addresses: people have to voluntarily opt into your list. So it does take time to develop one for yourself.

Okay, but . . . what about the very basics? How do I get emails to put on a list?

Old Hack
10-20-2016, 05:05 PM
You can put a page onto your website asking people to subscribe, you can put a note in the back of your books offering subscription, you can run competitions where people are put into a prize draw in return for signing up to your newsletter... give as many opportunities as you can for people to sign up.

Marissa D
10-20-2016, 05:46 PM
Just to clarify, are you trying to get newsletter subscribers or to create a team of ARC readers who'll post reviews?

efreysson
10-20-2016, 11:42 PM
You can put a page onto your website asking people to subscribe, you can put a note in the back of your books offering subscription

Subscription? Is that the online writer term for putting people on mailing lists and letting them know of any new developments?

Just to clarify, are you trying to get newsletter subscribers or to create a team of ARC readers who'll post reviews?

... okay, just what is a newsletter, in this context? Because I do have a blog up on Goodreads, but I don't update it much.

And to answer your question: I honestly have no idea what I'm trying to do. I don't understand internet culture. I am on the autistic spectrum and communicating with people in general is a challenge for me, as is any activity that doesn't actually interest me.

Marissa D
10-21-2016, 12:56 AM
Hello efreysson...

Newsletter: Some authors collect an e-mailing list of readers, fans, or people otherwise interested in their work and send out periodic chatty newsletters than announce upcoming releases or sales on their books, news (awards and honors won, upcoming author appearances, that sort of thing) or general fun stuff related to their books. It's a way to keep readers reminded of your existence between book releases, and hopefully get them to pre-order new releases. A lot of authors like to do this because social media like Facebook is getting to be too hit-or-miss to be used reliably for reaching out to readers.

Review team: a group of enthusiastic readers on whom you can theoretically rely to post reviews of your books on social media--usually you are expected to supply ARCs or pre-release copies. Many authors I know solicit review team members via Facebook or Goodreads, and will create a private Facebook group to keep in contact with them, let them know when there's a new book available and in turn for the review team members to let the author know when and where they've posted reviews.

Hope that helps...