Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
There wasn't a thread for this... so here goes.

Anyway, in the beginning, there was Wasteland. Then there was fallout from an intellectual property schism, and… there was Fallout. Fallout is the offspring of Wasteland. Wasteland 1 was published in 1988, nearly 30 years ago. Wasteland 2 was published two years ago, in 2014.

The 25-year gap was filled with Fallout because Interplay couldn't use the Wasteland brand, and that's why I recently picked up Wasteland 2, and started to play it, and it's… strange.

I've been so invested in the Fallout lore for so long that I keep running into things which are Fallout-esque, and break immersion. For instance, there's a faction in Wasteland called Servants of the Mushroom Cloud - which are basically the same as the Children of Atom, with some superficial differences. The monks of the SoMC likes to blow themselves up, for instance. The Children of Atom don't. But both factions still worship the atom, or the mushroom cloud, or whatever. Both factions are also quite insane.

That's just one example. The location also keeps me checking if I'll run into Caesar's Legion. The Desert Rangers, the player's faction, is a lot like the NCR.

I'm having motivational problems thus. How about you? Have you played this game? What did you think?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I just...could not get into Wasteland 2.

Which is weird, I love Fallout 1 and 2 - I still replay them every few years.

But Wasteland 2 suffers from low budget 3d issues. You can spend relatively money on pixel art or sprites and have them look astonishingly good. You spend relatively little money on polygons and you can look like complete trash if your art direction sucks balls. Which, to be fair, WL2 isn't...their art direction isn't bad. Though the lack of the 1950s flair does hurt it.

But I think they would have done better making some really slick sprites - mimicking Old School Fallout, but with the modern levels of detail we can support now.

Take Enter the Gungeon: There is so much DETAIL in that game. You flip over tables and things go flying - gunshots leave holes in the wall, spent shell castings scatter over the floor. And the art looks good (and will continue to look good for years) because a styling sprite never goes out of fashion.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Yes! There's a word that fits here. 'Zany', as in ludicrously or whimsically comical; clownish. Fallout is Zany, with its 1950s retro feeling. With its robots and crazy scientists and Zeta aliens. That zaniness just doesn't exist in Wasteland. It feels like the game is taking itself too seriously, even with the insane factions.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be fine with a more serious take on the post-apocalpyse, honestly.

That's not what this is, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.